Mom & Pop vs Big Box vs Online

I love supporting mom and pops but if I am being 100 percent honest I find my self using prime more and more often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too for a lot of things. Unfortunately day to day with my business I have to fight Amazon, and it’s nearly impossible to price match. Have to come through with customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Me too for a lot of things. Unfortunately day to day with my business I have to fight Amazon, and it’s nearly impossible to price match. Have to come through with customer service.

I know just what you mean. Certain things I always buy local but it has come to the point now days that prime is just to easier

For food and produce we have a local small chain that we use as much as possible, so in between Mom n pop and big box I guess? For household items it’s typically big box as it’s cheaper. Any other purchases are done mostly online.

I know just what you mean. Certain things I always buy local but it has come to the point now days that prime is just to easier

Yep. And that what Amazon has capitalized on, “it’s just easier. “

This is not pertaining to golf, but in general how do you view your shopping? Be it food, gifts, specialty items, etc.

Anymore, I just search out what I want and wait til it's a great price on Amazon.

That, or I bargain buy locally. Paying full price is lunacy.

Food - local/small Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. I get their cheap prices without the insanity that is found at Wal-Mart Super Stores.

Golf stuff varies. If I can get a discount somewhere I’ll shop there first. Almost all is done online though.

Just about everything else is on Amazon - gifts, some golf accessories, cooking utensils/devices, electronics, tools/parts for just about anything, etc.

I like to keep it local, and I'm happy to pay a bit more as long as the service provided is good. In some cases, including some of our supermarkets, the prices are both better and the service is exemplary.

Other options, like Electronics, there's really no local options.

This ^^^^

We do a lot of shopping on Amazon though too

I run a lawnmower shop. We sell a lot of products but I will use the brand Echo as an example. Echo is sold at nearly every lawnmower shop in the USA, It is also sold at Home Depot. Most people look at the price of a unit when they make a purchase but they don't look at the other cost's involved. We are the exact same price as HD on most units and 10-20 bucks cheaper on some. We are half the price as HD on two cycle oil and cheaper on most accessories.

We get emails and phone calls nearly everyday asking our price for a certain unit. When we tell them we are the same price as HD most will come buy it from us but some will say they would rather get it at HD for convenience or they have a HD credit card. I ask these folks what are you going to do if there is a problem with the unit? They respond if its not right I will bring it to you for warranty repair.

Our policy is to only do warranty work for the units we sell. I wont bore you with the details but just understand that we are lucky to break even on a warranty claim if not lose a few bucks. We have a very fast turnaround time for our repairs but that would not be possible if we took in every repair that came through the door. Also there is not a bit of instruction at HD when you buy a weed eater, we go over how to start the unit, how to reload the head and how to mix fuel etc.

When the HD customer shows up at my shop with a new unit that wont start it has probably been run without oil mixed in the gas. At that point it is a total loss and has to be replaced. The customer is already pissed that his trimmer wont start and how do you think he will respond to the news that its his fault and not covered by the warranty? I tell them that HD offers repair and warranty service at select stores and they should go see them for service.

When a customer has a problem with a unit purchased from us its a different deal. If the unit is nearly new we will try to get it started for them right away so they don't have to leave it. Most of the time its just flooded or the stop switch is in the off position. They are very rarely raw gassed because we went over using two cycle oil when it was purchased. We will go over how to reload the string or maintenance without them leaving the machine. In the rare event of an actual defect we will fix it free of charge asap.

I would like to be able to help everyone but it is just not possible. I have to run my business in a profitable way and losing money and time on customers that did not support us is a bad business plan. We try our best to turn those HD customers into our customers but they are usually upset and came through the door of my shop like I owe them something.

I hope this will open some eyes about how a service business works. If you buy it from where it will be worked on you will get better service. If you saved ten bucks buying it online then I hope you will understand that I don't owe you squat and you can take your cheap ass and bad attitude down the road.

We are mostly big box and online where I am as we just don't have many options for mom & pop stores. The exception is actually golf, for me, in that I get my services that I don't/can't do to a small local place. I like to support local where I can, but most times it is too far of a drive, hours don't work, or the prices are just much higher than the chain stores.

This is not pertaining to golf, but in general how do you view your shopping? Be it food, gifts, specialty items, etc.

The majority of my shopping is done on-line. I like having them deliver things right to my door. Not having to drive in busy traffic, look for a parking space or standing in check out lines. But of course I do miss the social interaction with other worldlings.

Restaurants almost always local. We have incredible local talent opening amazing places to eat so no real reason to go to chain places.

Groceries at markets any time it's possible. I will drive into Philly and pay the $5 for the bridge and $4 for parking to go produce and meat shopping at The Reading Terminal Market when possible. The quality is absolutely head and shoulders above anything bought in a grocery store. Prices aren't nuts either. Even with the extra $9 and gas.

No local electronics places, so for big ticket items like TVs, it's Best Buy.

THP has turned me onto Budget Golf so I have started shopping there for my needs.

Otherwise, just about everything else is E-Bay.

Wegman's, Home Depot, Amazon, Ebay. That covers 95% or more of all purchases I make.

Back