Most embarrassing thing you've done on a golf course

I guess mine would have to be back when I was a youngster, probably about 14. I snapped my driver over my knee & my father got pissed & told me to go to the car & wait until he was done if I was going to act that way. I never did it again .... at least in front of him :eek:

Got ticked off after chunking a chip and threw my wedge, it landed in a tree and got stuck in it about 15 feet off the ground. That was 20 years ago, I don't throw my clubs anymore even though I want to sometimes.

Last edited:
One of my most embarrassing situations ever happened at a golf course. A couple nights earlier I had agreed to help someone I'd just met learn some golf basics. Bar talk really, so I didn't expect her to actually call me on it, but she did, so I met her at the course. Spent a little time trying to putt and chip but the range was already closed for the evening. So I got permission to drive back to where there was an open area and a couple mats that the maintenance guys used back behind the 5th hole so she could hit some of my shag balls. (and yes ... I was hopeful...:devilish: ... but should've been much smarter about it). What made all this so embarrassing was that I knew the cop who eventually tapped on the window very well. Lived directly across the street from me. Even worse, her (the cop's) husband later told me the girl who called me to supposedly learn to golf was a co-worker of his wife. Awkward from then on with my neighbor, but to her credit the reason she had her husband let me know she worked with that girl was to warn me what bad news she really was.

Par 3, was waved up by one person of the group ahead and I proceeded to nail one of his playing partners in his shoulder. He wasn't hurt too bad. But, the guy wanted to kill me. Luckily, the guy that waved me up, held him off and said, it was his fault.

Also, driving the ball into one of the Caverns in the middle of the fairway at Luray Caverns, VA golf course.

Last edited:
What page of my book containing embarrassing golf moments would you like to read.

Getting hit by a coconut falling from a tree, and almost knocked out while I was getting ready to hit? (Puerto Rico)

My buddies and I getting the ship's Chaplain drunk off his ass during a day of golf in France, and paying a cabbie about 40 Franc's (Euro's these days) to bring him the last 1200 feet to the ship so we wouldn't get blamed. The Captain, XO, and my Chief Engineer watched the entire thing go down.

Confirming to a buddies wife that we were still working while hollering into his cell phone as he held it up to me. We were actually sitting on the 18th fairway at Bow Creek. We didn't see her standing by the tall pine trees to the right of the green just near the cart path. We about **** ourselves when she casually said "hello guys" as we drove up to the green.

Many years ago I was playing as a guest at a fancy CC. It was busy and there were a lot of people milling around so I was more nervous than usual on the first tee. Long story short, I snap hook my drive and it takes off like a rifle shot right into the ankle of a woman coming up on 18. That ball was going 150mph easy and I yell fore but she never had a chance, and down she goes like a sack of potatoes. I didn’t kill her so that was a plus, but later I learned she was out practicing for a tournament the next day and had to drop out because her ankle was hosed. It was right in front of the club house so I was pretty famous that day but not in the good way.

Started the ball dispense machine... without a basket... in front of the old timer league lounging on the patio.
Oh man I had completely forgotten that I’ve done that before too! First time I went to the range the basket was already hanging. The second time I asked where the bucket was and my friend pointed me towards the large stack of buckets right next to the machine while laughing at me. I must have put the bucket on the floor too close to the machine because the first few balls came flying out and knocked over the bucket. Needless to say my medium bucket made quite a mess all over that concrete floor haha

Numerous things, but only one that actually brings me out in a sweat thinking about it.

First time I had ever played at Gleneagles, was with a couple of clients and it was quite a formal affair. We were announced onto the tee and there was a good number of people watching. All I could think as I walked on shaking legs to the tee which was about a 10 yard walk, was swing steadily. Nice controlled swing, as long as it goes down the middle I'm not worried about distance. Of course I had a huge rush of blood and tried to swing out of my shoes and disaster occurred. Somehow, and I have no idea how it happened, I almost missed the ball and it shot between my own legs and ended up 10 yards behind me. Everyone around me, spectators included, were all desperately trying to find somewhere to look and there was deafening silence. I should have re-teed, but nope....I trudged back to my ball with my highest lofted hybrid and tried to repair the damage. I then topped it.... Basically I'm now playing my 3rd from 5 yards behind where I started. I hit a succession of PWs all the way up the first and to this day it still makes me cringe.

Some amazing and embarrassing things here. I have not really had anything even remotely close to what some have had. One I remember was after a nice smoker of a drive off the tee I had about 165 to the green and I pulled out my trusty 5 iron which I had been hitting so nicely and had full confidence in it.

There happened to be 2 carts with 2 people in them just coming by me and stopped. I should have told them to go on by, or at least waited until they left. Apparently my sub conscience forgot about my confidence in my 5 iron, and I skull/topped it and it rolled down the hill into the drink.

I had to take the walk of shame and drop of near the drink and wouldn't you know it, I put that one right up on the green. Go figure.

Many years ago (when I was single), a buddy of mine and I got paired with a couple of very attractive college girls.
The round was going well and I started feeling my oats, so I decided I was going to show these lovely ladies just how far I could hit the driver.
I reared back and took a mighty swing. Unfortunately, half way through the swing, a mightier sound emanated from my backside.
I duck hooked the drive and of course my buddy said..."did you hear that duck?"
I wanted to head for the clubhouse.....

Pinehurst #2, first hole. Stripe my tee ball down the middle and walk up to it proud as a peacock. 135 out I ask the caddy for 8I. Right at the flag- see a bounce and then nothing.
I say to my caddy, did it go in, he blurted out “no way”
We walk up and it’s not on the green. Caddy starts walking to the back, as if going to the next tee box. I’m like “hey, I need a club, what are you doing“ he keeps walking and I yell again, “hey, I need a club” he looks back at me as I am looking in the hole anyway, and he yells back to me “hey, you need a club for your ball back here, 20 yards over not on the green”
I was like ok, thanks

I had a buddy who used to throw his club sidearm by extending his arms straight forward and the club would go right down the middle of the fairway and he would pick it up on the way to the hole. One time, on a hole where the tee was next to a highway (only about 20 yards away to the left) I badly topped my drive. It made me so mad that I decided to throw the club. I thought I would do it like my buddy but the grip go caught up in my loose glove and headed to the left. It was flying like helicopter blades right to the highway. I look up and here comes a car decorated like it was a pair of newlyweds. Luckily, the club stayed about a foot over the car as it passed by us. I could have crawled in a hole I was so scared and embarrassed. That's the last time I threw a club.

Was at un-official THP Minneapolis event a few years ago. Can't remember but I had either @bjosh or @Rambler in my group. I was in a greenside bunker, and at the time was clueless in bunkers. So I hit... I pick it clean, it goes over the green, over the cart path, over the crowded deck, and onto the clubhouse roof... :sneaky:. Well I'm staring dumbfounded, and someone in my group yells, throw a ball down quick and pretend it wasn't you :p, I was close to my cart, and threw another one down. Thing is it was so far over, I don't think anyone on the deck even noticed, lol.
I've hit thin bunker shots since, but none like that one.

Was at un-official THP Minneapolis event a few years ago. Can't remember but I had either @bjosh or @Rambler in my group. I was in a greenside bunker, and at the time was clueless in bunkers. So I hit... I pick it clean, it goes over the green, over the cart path, over the crowded deck, and onto the clubhouse roof... :sneaky:. Well I'm staring dumbfounded, and someone in my group yells, throw a ball down quick and pretend it wasn't you :p, I was close to my cart, and threw another one down. Thing is it was so far over, I don't think anyone on the deck even noticed, lol.
I've hit thin bunker shots since, but none like that one.

That was me. Won’t ever forget it. I remember praying for it not to hit the window. Funny, I just played the course yesterday.

Had to stop playing after 14 holes and just ride in the cart due to my inability to swing and make contact with the ball due to excessive drinking. It was in my younger days and has not come close to happening again.

Once I was driving a cart and stopped a few feet behind the 150 post in the fairway. (Don’t know why I parked so close but I did)

Hit my ball, partner hit his and we hopped back in the cart and not paying attention, I floored it...right over the post. Half the fairway got ripped out. Some other groups on other holes saw it and laughed, made comments, etc, very embarrassing and it was enough damage that I had to shamefully go report it to the pro shop. They let me off the hook but still very embarrassing

Back