Most embarrassing thing you've done on a golf course

Don't know whether to laugh, cry, or refer you to AA.

lol.

I was thinking the same thing or ntanygd760 wins the thread.

I think the 8 I took on a 105 Par 3 this past weekend might be towards the top.

I don't have a most embarrassing moment.

Unfortunately I have several. Most were years and years ago thankfully but one fairly recently. But hopefully that'll be the last one!

I was thinking the same thing or ntanygd760 wins the thread.

Now now, we can't have that. When I have more time later I'll tell some embarrassing stories that will make rolling a cart seem, well... they'll be on the same level anyways:)

Swung and missed on a drive in front of my future father-in-law on the morning of my wedding. I might have had a bit of nerves that day...

I have only thrown a club once, once in all my years of golfing and it decided it would stay in the tree. Took a bit but I got my 3 wood back and managed to finish the 18. Haven't ever thrown a club since.

I haven't thrown a club...today (but then, I didn't play today either, so...)

In all seriousness, I humiliated myself one time in particular when I missed a short birdie putt and went to 'polo' my ball into the woods. I took a divot out of the green not 3 feet from the hole. Needless to say, I have NEVER done that again. :shame:

I told this one a long time ago, but I will dust it off...

Second round of a weekend tournament, shot 75 first day, several out of the lead but in touch. I got off to a rough start, and on the 4th hole after I hit it in the trees and blew my 4I recovery, I threw my white cap down and proceeded to beat it to death with the 4I. Finally I stowed it in the bag and played on. Somewhere around the 11th hole, I realized my poor head was getting sunburned badly (it was late June in SC). I had to pull out my ripped up cap and tie it together with a vine to get it to stay on, and played in that way, scoring my by far career worst 94. I signed the card and told'em to post it - no one could believe I didn't NC it.

That night I washed what was left of the cap, then sewed it back together in the back, and in the front where the logo had been I ironed on a round green patch, and then cut out a blue "94" and ironed it onto the green patch. I wore that hat the rest of the season, and never threw another fit on the course to this day.

I told this one a long time ago, but I will dust it off...

Second round of a weekend tournament, shot 75 first day, several out of the lead but in touch. I got off to a rough start, and on the 4th hole after I hit it in the trees and blew my 4I recovery, I threw my white cap down and proceeded to beat it to death with the 4I. Finally I stowed it in the bag and played on. Somewhere around the 11th hole, I realized my poor head was getting sunburned badly (it was late June in SC). I had to pull out my ripped up cap and tie it together with a vine to get it to stay on, and played in that way, scoring my by far career worst 94. I signed the card and told'em to post it - no one could believe I didn't NC it.

That night I washed what was left of the cap, then sewed it back together in the back, and in the front where the logo had been I ironed on a round green patch, and then cut out a blue "94" and ironed it onto the green patch. I wore that hat the rest of the season, and never threw another fit on the course to this day.

Good story!

I don't remember the exact time, but I'm sure that I've chucked a club in the past and then realized how ridiculous that was.

These days, I get really embarrassed when I get the shanks. I know that it happens to most of us at one point or another, but it just gets my heart racing.

Pull sky-balled my opening tee shot in my first high school tournament. It landed in the parking lot. Boy did it take forever for that ball to come down.

Club championship about three years ago...I showed up. Should have stayed home or maybe left the country that weekend.

Also about seven years ago I joined a new league and was struggling through a very nervous first round with the group. On the sixteenth hole just when the end was mercifully in sight I decided to shank a seven iron dead right from the left side of the fairway across the right side on a rope and straight in to the woods where it hit one of my partners who was taking a leak straight in the ass.

This one happened to my buddy and business partner. Introduced him to golf and he got the bug big time. Got new clubs, new bag, new push cart with fancy chrome wheels. He's taken lessons and now we're out on the course for the first time with his new set. He hits a worm-burner drive off the 5th tee right at his cart and absolutely demolishes one of those fancy chrome wheels. Three out of four of us were laughing hysterically! My buddy didn't seem to know what he felt and stood there for about 5 seconds, then joined in.

Club championship about three years ago...I showed up. Should have stayed home or maybe left the country that weekend.

Also about seven years ago I joined a new league and was struggling through a very nervous first round with the group. On the sixteenth hole just when the end was mercifully in sight I decided to shank a seven iron dead right from the left side of the fairway across the right side on a rope and straight in to the woods where it hit one of my partners who was taking a leak straight in the ass.

Hahahahaha

Ok as promised, some embarrassing stories. You can look at it as chronicles of a dimwit.

The first one, I was merely a part of and not the star of. That honor (??) belongs to my dear ol dad. This was about 16-17 years ago when I lived in Columbus. There was a nice public course that offered a good deal to play all day. Dad came down and spent the night before at my house and we started early. We decided to make it an all day beer drinking golf day. We played without much distinction for the first 27 holes other than having a littering of beer cans in the trash cans of the course. Midway through the back nine on our second round dad had dropped me off to hit my second into a hole. He'd already hit and as I was pretty close to the green I told him I'd walk up. I didn't see it happen but I heard a crash. Dad had gone off the path and hit a tree. He claims that the tree jumped out in front of him and in an effort to teach it some manners, he felt he had to hit it with the cart. Unfortunately he snapped the front axle. One of the front tires was sticking out in an almost 90* angle. The cart was still driveable but it made for an interesting lesson in counter steering the rest of the round.

This was over 20 years ago. I never used to get upset when I'd start out playing bad but it used to really get to me when I was having a good round and later messed it up. Anyways, this particular day I was -2 when I got to the long par 5 ninth hole. Hit a good drive. The green was still a long ways out and there was a lake fronting it from 75 yards up to the edge of the green so I laid up to about 100 yards. I grabbed my SW and was getting ready to have another crack at a birdie but chunked my shot. Splash. Dangit. Dropped and hit again. Chunk. Splash. Damnit. Dropped and hit again. Chunk. Splash. Four letter words! This time the SW followed the ball into the lake. Dropped and this time was using my PW. Chunk. Splash. Every four letter word and every other bad one I could think of!

I was so enraged that I grabbed my entire bag, marched to the edge of the lake, and heaved as hard as I possibly could. Splash! But what the hell? I was the one splashing. My strap had got caught up on me and yanked me into this stupid stupid lake. I sat there in the edge of the lake half laughing, half crying.

That was the last time I truly lost my mind on the course. I've halfhearted tossed clubs a few times since but nothing of this magnitude. I'm glad they didn't go in the middle of the lake. I don't know if I'd have ever golfed again. I didn't have much money for gear back then.

The last most embarrassing story I put the story out on this site a couple weeks ago. I'll give the cliffs notes version. Some slow playing fool charged (and was "held" back by his buddy) at me when I asked if they would either hurry up or let us through. My kids were with me. It triggered the fight or flight (I don't flight so it was just fight) response and after the next hole was completed he was waiting on me in the parking lot. I could have and should have just driven by but when he flicked me off I acted the fool and stopped the cart. Luckily a physical altercation was avoided but I set a bad example for my kids by not being above his actions.

Otherwise, I've hit every manner of terrible shot too. Heck just last week I about took out a woman walking her dogs on the road to the left of hole one when I hit my patented first hole pull hook. It wasn't really that close and stayed in bounds but it hit a tree less than 30 yards from her and I had no idea where it was going to bounce from there so I gave one of the more fantastic "FORE FORE FORE!!!!" yellings of my life.

I've got a couple.

1) This was almost 20 years ago when I was living in Dallas. I had just joined a new club and was playing in an individual tournament there. My buddies who sponsored me got a bunch of folks to come out and watch me tee off. I normally have some first tee jitters with folks I have known for a while but this was something else. I'm not sure how it happened but I somehow "hit" my tee shot between my legs. 2 feet max. But I didn't know that at first. It took a few seconds for me to realize it after I was trying to find the ball in the air. Thinking that I had whiffed it, I looked down and saw it. I could feel my face instantly turning red. No one said anything and I tried my best not to look at anyone. I played out of turn and managed to get my stuff together enough to hit a 3W down the fairway. I wanted to take off after it but I had to wait for the others in the group to hit. I still get a ration of sh*t about it whenever I see those friends.

2) I trusted a fart.

I smacked the side of my bag with my putter after missing what was a very easy put (had a great round going) Next fairway pulled out the three wood and as soon as I started my backswing the club folded in half....

Or the time my ball was just inside the boundary of a shallow creek and I decided to play it. The others in my group said "pull it out, you don't want to break a club" I resisted of course, took the shot and the clubhead went almost as far as the ball...

Yesterday's round is going great. I mean the stars and moon are aligned. I'm having a great game until the 7th hole. It's a dogleg to the left. I knew the green sat behind the trees on the left of the dogleg and all I had to do was put it over the trees and the green would be there, you just can't see the green clearly. I've done this shot at this course many times. I was playing with some co-workers and made the shot that I usually do, but got a little lazy in the swing. Instead of lifting straight up off the ground, the shot worm holed straight towards the tree and came flying right back at all of us. We all had to hit the deck at the same time. I felt like an idiot. For the rest of the game, they made fun of me. We had a lot of laughs by the end of the game.

Hitting into people. Even if it’s a once in a blue moon shot that caroms off the cart path I don’t think it’s something I won’t be embarrassed about. To me it’s worse than any of the mild temper tantrums I may have thrown.

Second most embarrassing is waiting for the group ahead to move out of range and completely duffing the shot. Just can’t win.

I thought I find a free ball . I took the ball and you know what is going to happen after that .

I have a couple.. both involved hitting flop shots i was confident I could pull off (but failed). The first I was at a practice range that had a green you could pitch to. I had my AW and instead of going back to the cart for a LW I opened up the AW, took a full swing and hit a great flop that flew the practice green and ping-ponged around the parking lot. Fortunately there was no real damage to any of the vehicles but it was embarrassing. The second involved a shot at the ultimate weekend of golf with Titleist last year. I was making a mess of a hole and had my ball sitting down in the rough and needed to get over a bunker and have it stop quick. I knew I could either hit a flop or put the ball in the back of my stance and hit a punch-style pitch. I chose the harder flop shot and didn't get under it and bladed a ball that almost took DMoney's head off. Fortunately he is a nice guy and didn't take it personal but he rightly has given me crap about it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hitting into people. Even if it’s a once in a blue moon shot that caroms off the cart path I don’t think it’s something I won’t be embarrassed about. To me it’s worse than any of the mild temper tantrums I may have thrown.

Second most embarrassing is waiting for the group ahead to move out of range and completely duffing the shot. Just can’t win.

I can drive quite a few of the area par 4's, dependent on weather conditions. Most courses here max out at 6500 yards and a few are even shorter. It never fails that if I wait because I can get there, once another group shows up to the tee box while I'm on it I won't come within 50 yards of the green and look like a complete doofus for waiting. I've taken to just hitting a 4i off the tee if another group shows up to our tee while I'm waiting for the green to clear.

This wasn't me but happened and I saw it. A kid 15-16 was hitting chip shots on the practice green. On one side of the green is the course and on the other is the clubhouse with massive plate glass windows looking over the practice green and the course. The kid tries to hit a flop shop blades it straight into a window that was probably 6'x10' and shatters it. It was crazy loud and the kid freaked out. I bet that was the last time he practiced a flop shot in that area. :)

I've got a couple.

1) This was almost 20 years ago when I was living in Dallas. I had just joined a new club and was playing in an individual tournament there. My buddies who sponsored me got a bunch of folks to come out and watch me tee off. I normally have some first tee jitters with folks I have known for a while but this was something else. I'm not sure how it happened but I somehow "hit" my tee shot between my legs. 2 feet max. But I didn't know that at first. It took a few seconds for me to realize it after I was trying to find the ball in the air. Thinking that I had whiffed it, I looked down and saw it. I could feel my face instantly turning red. No one said anything and I tried my best not to look at anyone. I played out of turn and managed to get my stuff together enough to hit a 3W down the fairway. I wanted to take off after it but I had to wait for the others in the group to hit. I still get a ration of sh*t about it whenever I see those friends.

2) I trusted a fart.

OMG, that brought back a sordid memory...

Second day of a two-man team event, and I am sick. If it was an individual event, I would have WD'ed, but I toughed it out for my partner. At the 13th hole, I realized mother nature was not going to let me get much farther, and I NEARLY made it to a course potty on time. Suffice it to say I finished the round w/o my boxers and my towel...

Happened this summer actually. Had this awkward fairway with it really sloped all over, but my ball was close to the 150 marker on this par-4 that the only flat area to park was right behind the 150 yard marker post.

You know what’s coming. Hit my ball and start watching my partner and forgot to back up...ran right over the 150 yard pipe, ripping a huge chunk of turf right out of the ground. It was parallel to another hole and naturally about 8 guys saw me do this. I was so embarrassed I just picked up my ball and didn’t finish the hole. Ugh. I feel embarrassed all over again just typing this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back