Most Forgiving Irons You Would Play

Probably ZX4s or AiSmoke irons.

Just can't look down on a clunky top line

JPX hot metals now. I’ll play anything that works with my current skill level until it costs me. I can look at a thick top line before I can look at another 85 on a score card.

I'd easily go ZX4 style (unsure of what would be comparable with other OEMs). I'd draw the line at anything hybrid looking throughout the line.

I play ZX4 MkII's. Could play Mizuno Pro 245. Cleveland Zip XL. Callaway Paradyms. (These are the ones I like the look of.)

Just about any GI irons as long as the topline doesn't look too chunky.

If the top line has a nice rounded edge, I could probably play anything. I hate a boxy top line, regardless how big or small.

This is exactly what I was searching for. I wanted forgiveness with the look of the smaller club head and I feel like I hit it perfectly with the Rogue ST Pro irons! They are a very forgiving club but my control is great and so is the sweet spot!

I like the AJs. They look great and are plenty forgiving. I'm not sure what would be more forgiving than those but as long as it's not more offset, a bigger club head or a chunky top line, I'd give them a go.

I would(and do) play the Cleveland HB irons. Why? Because I tend to hit the big ball before the little ball and these will advance the ball instead of digging up a chunk of earth.

Probably something along the lines of ZX5/Forged Tec/SMS. I don't think offset is my friend right now with my current miss, and I'm low-spin enough.

ZX5 - currently in the bag. I recently rented a set of Callaway Mavrik irons while out of town. They weren't bad. Definitely chunkier and bigger than the ZX5's but were playable on full shots and chips. I would not go for the super game improvement like the Ping 700, 710, 730. Zero feel and bad sound.

Mizuno Pro 245. Probably.

I'm sensitive to wider soles and don't generate a lot of spin, so a lot of really forgiving clubs are just completely off the table.

Those are pretty slim through the turf though, and I could take them pretty weak. I get like I'd be able to make a set work if I needed to.

The most forgiving ones that allow me to hit my target and hold greens? I going to put faith in a fitter this year to help me find that balance. I tried to do it myself last year, and while I played ok I know I'm not as consistent as I want to be with my current setup. Heck I may just end up in a reshaft of my current irons.

I need some pop, launch, and some spin. Offset is only ok in small doses also. ZX5 hits a lot of notes for me.

Apex/ZX5/JPX HMP. I have never cared for hollow irons but they really have came a long way in the looks department.

I don't think it should be shame at all.

If it was, none of us would use hybrids, fairway woods, or drivers, right?
Totally agree. It’s weird how some clubs draw stigma while others don’t. Chippers for example draw laughs from many but not hybrids etc.

Game improvement is always a great thing. I feel the same about forward tees too.

I would play any iron that I hit well. I have played Big Bertha, I liked the Srixon ZX4 more than the others. I am not willing to go full set of hybrids like launchpad, but could see that being an option for me in a decade.

I love the ai-smoke irons but it isn’t because I hit a limit on what I am willing to play in regard to looks/forgiveness.

Of the irons I've seen in hand so far, it would probably be ZX4 MKII or Ai Smoke. Ideally I think I'd like to be in the ZX5 MKII but this thread is about most forgiving, so ZX4 it is. I like the Paradym irons also, but I hate the beating that the badges on those irons take.

I was so in love with the JPX 923 last year and was dead set on getting a set.......Then I got them in hand. It was an automatic nope. The ONE thing that I was certain that they would do well (top line) was a deal breaker. I was a little broken hearted, not gonna lie. I even gave myself a half hour to go look at some other stuff and came back just to make sure. Still a nope. :(

Twice I’ve gone to clubs that supposedly offered more forgiveness. Both times it’s been a complete disaster. Year ago I went to the TM Burners (might have been your burners if there were such a thing) after seeing some great smash factor numbers with them. Sold them in 2 weeks as I just couldn’t get on with them on the course. Then January I bought some Ping G425s after thinking I needed a little more forgiveness from my P790s. Again, a complete disaster and I’m returning to my old faithful P790s which it turns out I really enjoy. Both times I thought I’d be able to deal with the thicker top lines and more offset for more forgiveness. Both times I was massively wrong!

I would play literally anything if it made the score better. I have yet to see a club that is so hideous that I wouldn't swing it if it was better than what I had.

This is so hard for me because the more forgiving they get, the more offset they usually get (not always) and the more it effects my swing/mind.

So for me, it’s probably an iron like a Mizuno 245, Srixon ZX5, or maybe a PING i230, possibly Apex Pro.

I could play just about anything and for me it will come down to feel. If the ball feels harsh or "clicky" that really puts me off and probably makes me look past them.
I am in this same area a thought. I would also add for me the sole of the club is important to me also. With my shallow swing most GI irons are bad for me. So I either need a thin sole or all the way up to a hybrid. The in between causes a ton of thin misses for me as the club bounces into the ball. I am basically a 0 degree A.O.A from 7i -4i

I don't think it should be shame at all.

If it was, none of us would use hybrids, fairway woods, or drivers, right?
wait, you mean you have something in your bag other than 1-iron and putter?!?!?

Am going through this internal calculation after a 2+ year injury layoff (elbow tendonitis is no joke). My last clubs I had before the layoff were Cleveland Halo XL. I was having a very tough time putting a decent swing on the ball and those were my hail-mary attempt to keep playing. Now coming back, I just didn't want to play them. Part of that is having played on and off for 50+ years, and while I'm willing to accept some help, I do draw the line with aesthetics. The ZX4s don't offend me, but I do still gaze wistfully at ZX7s. But I'd rather spend time at the range fixing my swing than playing rounds with big shovels. Totally YMMV. Short-term goal is to slowly replace the ZX4s with ZX5s...

And back in the grad school days when I was playing a lot, I did carry a 1-iron (Titleist DCI Gold) and used it regularly :D

My limiting factor is length heel to toe of head. Not a fan of anything in excess of my King Forge Tec irons. Anything like the TE C 721 or the T350 irons have blade length that turn me off. I could see the DarkSpeeds getting a chance at the bag.

Probably something like the Ai Smoke or Darkspeed irons. I've hit both and could probably game either one.

Back