Most Forgiving Irons You Would Play

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I like the idea of playing the most forgiving irons you can stand to look at, but I do think there's a bit more to the story.

I'd love to know in your perspective, what is the most forgiving set of irons you can think of that you would play for an extended period of time?

Bonus points for 'why'

I think there is more to it as well.

An iron can have a ton of forgiveness but not give you numbers that work for you.

Right now? Probably Ai Smoke, and the reason is I have the 7 iron here and I can hit rockets with it, while still getting height and spin.

Zx4 or cobra darkspeed

Still look good. There is some question as I get down into the set wedges.

Last edited:
Well, I just ordered some AI Smoke's. They're not clunky for the GI class.
Coming from ZX5 MKII's.
That's about as GI as I'd want to go.
I can't stand the look or feel of the Ping GI clubs, or most of the other OEMs for that matter.
Why? Because golf is hard and I ain't getting any younger or faster.

Something apex pro, Mizuno 245, cobra King tour-ish.. in that vein.

It is hard to impossible for me to go much further as I don’t really care about head size. But top line shapes and offsets get too crazy for me to look at. I don’t even really care about top line thickness. I would play the Srixon zx4s if all things being equal it has the offset of the zx7..

I play JN's 1987 MacGregor blades. Any club from the modern era would be forgiving to me lol even Apex MB (with the screw in the middle)

ZX5s. I had them before and they looked great. The MKii are even better. Only reason I went away from them was for more workability

I would love to bag some Mizuno MP-20 HMB's. I have the 2 iron if I need some help finding the fairways again

Mizuno 245. Love Mizuno irons and don't mind the look of them.

I'd play Zip XL's or ZX4's any day.

I played a handful of rounds with E723's last year as well. Not sure I can honestly say I'd stick with them long term, but playing them wasn't an issue.

I could play the Big Bertha irons. They're easy to hit and still look enough like a traditional iron for me. And as an older, slower swinger, they would work for me.

The
top line shapes and offsets get too crazy for me to look at.
This for me as well. The 923Fs I have now are as GI as I can go. I've swung the hot metals and can't do it as much as they may improve my ball striking

No shame in my game, if it’s conforming and lowers my score I’ll game them. Only caveat is I do admit that they would have to be from a major brand.

No shame in my game, if it’s conforming and lowers my score I’ll game them. Only caveat is I do admit that they would have to be from a major brand.
I don't think it should be shame at all.

If it was, none of us would use hybrids, fairway woods, or drivers, right?

I'll play anything until the offset gets to be too much. I'm a pull hook guy and too much offset only promotes that. There also becomes a point that they are too long. I've hit some GI irons where I"m hitting the 7i with a 195 carry. I wouldn't know how to build the bottom of the bag and feel like I would need 5 wedges.

Some very forgiving irons sent the ball too high for me, so even though they were easy to hi, forgiving and ok to look at, the numbers did not work. The T350's looked good, but did not spin for me. The most forgiving irons I'd use are the T200's from Titleist, but I have not ventured out to test other brands in a long time.

I have a set of Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HLs that I could play long term without issue. They're a little thick, but Mizuno hides that well. They are also just stupid easy to hit. I like thinner top lines, but at the end of the day, I'll play whatever will help me shoot the lowest scores. The deal breaker for me with irons would be the offset. Too much and I'll start missing way left.

I fear the 7 iron knuckler and need a bit of feel. Plus if too garish in style I'm not interested, although most recent options seem to settle that down.

That said, of current lines I could easily play Darkspeed or the Callaway options from initial testing. Mizzy Hot Metals. ZZX4 for sure.

I tried the Zipcores but they felt like rocks so they would be out.

I never actually hit the AI Smoke irons but i think I could play them for an extended period of time.. they had a good look to them and did not look overly bulky!

I could play just about anything and for me it will come down to feel. If the ball feels harsh or "clicky" that really puts me off and probably makes me look past them.

Apex pros or 790’s

I could play just about anything and for me it will come down to feel. If the ball feels harsh or "clicky" that really puts me off and probably makes me look past them.
You probably said it better than I did.

Life is too short to play irons you don't enjoy the feel of.

I could play T-Rails. They felt good.

Back