Most influential person in hip hop.

I always gave credit to Grandmaster Flash, but I think that "Rapper's Delight" from The Sugar Hill Gang really brought it to the masses.

while I can't really add to the list of most influential in hop hop, I recently started watching the HBO documentary, "Defiant Ones." I wasn't aware of the reach of influence Dr. Dre had (let alone Jimmy Iovine). Pretty cool to watch if you have any passing interest.

I just finished watching that series yesterday and I was really wowed but Jimmy Iovine and the talent he found and brought up. Also Dr Dre and NWA really paved the way for gansta rap and really brought to light the whole east coast / west coast rivalry.

Still upset that no one is giving any credit to Shaq and Fu-Schnickens.

MC Hammer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice addition to the conversation! Can't forget the DJ! Like you, I could ramble about hip hop all day long. If we ever meet at a THP event, you will have to tell me more about your involvement in 3 of the 4 elements.

Absolutely. Although I have to warn you, once I get 3-4 beers in me, it becomes harder and harder to shut me up, lol. I've got stories for days.

I would say Russel Simmons and Rick Rubin for starting Def Jam, which got rap out to the masses.

I also think you need to say the Beastie Boys because suburban American all of sudden could identify with a hip hop group.

I would say Dre and NWA would be the guys who took hip hop in different direction in 90's too today.

I can not stress enough that the HBO special The Defiant Ones is a great watch if you love rap music. It also pinpoints the moment with East vs West Coast became a thing.

I can not stress enough that the HBO special The Defiant Ones is a great watch if you love rap music. It also pinpoints the moment with East vs West Coast became a thing.

Such a great series...it got me motivated to get back into production and get in touch with some old contacts.

Likewise with the podcast Mogul, if that's your thing. It just wrapped up yesterday I believe, and lots of great stories/info about the early Def Jam years.

4210e62d366a632d65370dbaedf99865.jpg

Kool Herc brought the music to the forefront. I think Russell Simmons and RRubin made it modern. There have been many huge players but guys like TuPac, Biggie, Dre pushed it to the levels we have.
Different groups in various areas have influenced different types of hip hop. DeLa Soul, JayZ, Traibe called Quest, heavyD, big daddy Kane, mosdef amongst others have influenced.

Vanilla Ice gets my vote... :banana:

On a more serious note, I can't really speak to the artists that were before my time, but 2Pac, and Dr. Dre are what got me interested back in the 90's. Eminem opened the Genre to a much wider demographic!

To me, I have to say Run DMC. They bridged a lot of gaps between hip hop and rock music, branching into rock riffs when nearly everyone else was sampling soul and funk. They delivered nursery rhymes with as much edge as gangsta rapper. First hip hop record to go platinum and multiplatinum. Some of the best rappers of all time, including Nas and Public Enemy, followed the trail they blazed. East coast rap is arguably defined by Run DMC.

Absolutely. Although I have to warn you, once I get 3-4 beers in me, it becomes harder and harder to shut me up, lol. I've got stories for days.
I don't even need the alcohol to not shut up about hip hop or golf! Plus, my bet is the beers will get you breakdancing too. Haha

I would say Russel Simmons and Rick Rubin for starting Def Jam, which got rap out to the masses.

I also think you need to say the Beastie Boys because suburban American all of sudden could identify with a hip hop group.

I would say Dre and NWA would be the guys who took hip hop in different direction in 90's too today.
Yes to the Beastie Boys ... they made that push into a different audience way before Vanilla Ice and Eminem did.

Such a great series...it got me motivated to get back into production and get in touch with some old contacts.

Got those beats or old graf work online somewhere? I feel a PM conversation coming on... :D

I don't even need the alcohol to not shut up about hip hop or golf! Plus, my bet is the beers will get you breakdancing too. Haha

Yes to the Beastie Boys ... they made that push into a different audience way before Vanilla Ice and Eminem did.

Got those beats or old graf work online somewhere? I feel a PM conversation coming on... :D
I wasn't around so legitimate question. Did the beastie boy crowd navigate back into the hip hop circles?

Saw this morning that streaming on iTunes is the Can't Stop Won't Stop a Bad Boy Story. Think I am going to have to check that one out too.

I wasn't around so legitimate question. Did the beastie boy crowd navigate back into the hip hop circles?

Great question. I'm not really sure either. I just remember seeing guys supporting Beasties but they were more into punk rock and saw no other outward support for other rappers. I appreciate them more now than I did 25+ years ago.

Dr Dre

Peter Cotton tail - hippity hopping down the bunny trail

Back