Most memorable club(s) you have ever played?

A complete set of average Kunnan clubs with graphite shafts, not because of the clubs, but because my wife bought them for me for my 40th and that was a lot for us at the time. She saw my ancient Executives and said I needed something better since I was playing golf for business.

Honorable mention goes to a TaylorMade System 2 7 wood. It was at least two gens old when everyone at a golf outing received one, but it opened my eyes as to what a difference a good club could make in my game.

Last edited:
Cougar Precision III irons.

In the early 1990s they were a new up and coming golf company. My step mom was an executive. My parents bought me a set as a law school graduation present. This was the first real set of clubs I’d ever owned. I’d never seen anything so shiny and awesome, and they had a lot of sentimental value. I still have them.

Last edited:
Nickent 4DX Evolver driver.

It is literally what hooked me into wanting/craving to learn more about golf club tech.

This driver is what I first thought of too. I had 2 different ones and ended up selling one to my buddy. He still has it, maybe I should commandeer it.... ;)

Titleist Black DCIs. My first new clubs. I played them for almost 20 years. Sometimes I wonder if I should go back to them. I still have them.

A close second would be a Titleist PT 3W from the early 90s. It is still the best 3W I've ever had. The magic was lost when I had to get it reshafted.

Taylormade R7 Draw driver - my first 'real' club. Man I thought I could crush that thing.

Miura CB-201 5-PW

Such a solid, dense feel, almost surgical. Wish I had them now to see if I could handle them better with the new swing.

I would have to say my set of Arnold Palmer Deacon irons. I have never even taken them to the course and probably never will. They were my dad's irons and then my brother took ownership of them after his passing. When my brother passed away the irons came to me so they hold special meaning.

Taylor Made 300ti driver. That thing hit some bombs. Played it with a tour stiff shaft (younger, more flexible me). Man I wish I'd never got rid of that one.

Original Great Big Bertha. It came out when I was in high school and was HUGE! The little shop I worked in at our course had one that I used to hit balls with all the time, man I lusted after that thing.

When I first started playing I bought these at a yard sale. They probably were non-conforming, but they were so easy to hit and I hit them a mile. I eventually upgraded to more conventional clubs, but I loved these ugly sticks.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
First driver I ever spent real money on... a cool $100, the Adams BTY... not sure what to compare it to but it was the first name brand 460 cc driver I ever had with a stiff shaft. I finally learned how to swing under control & with a little practice could hit a nice draw. Found my onto parts of golf courses I'd never seen before. Was a game changer for sure.

A friend of mine that plays once or twice a year still games it...

Miura CB 301 I think they have the perfect size, shape at address. When you get close to sweet spot, the feeling is exquisite, very high launch, stop on the green, what is not to like except the price?

Titleist DCI 981 irons! My first real set I really learned to swing with!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

-Tommy Armour 845 evo V-31 R.O. Blades (that's a mouthful).

Played them for a long while and shot my then best round of +1 (two days in a row! Was also -3 for 9 with them).

Still have them although they haven't seen the bag for years and years. But I'll never part with them. Just toying around, I still chip better with that set's short irons than with any other, before or since.

-Original Exotics fairway woods. Still have them too. The magic had since been lost to tech advancements but at the time they were repeatable distance monsters compared to anything I'd ever played before.

-Callaway Big Bertha Warbird Strong-3 with Grafalloy Fairway shaft. Still have that one too (see a trend?!). It was my safety net off the tee for years, fairway seeking launcher.

-Callaway Epic driver. Played such a huge part in my overall improvement as a golfer this season. Carded my best score, beating my previous PB by 5 strokes!! Topped that previous score numerous times since that June round.

(Moved on to the Rogue SZ but I view it more as a continuation of the essence of the Epic rather than a replacement. Ever so slightly more forgiving and accurate, with maybe 5 more yards distance.)

I think for me it’s a G15 driver. Played it for a year or two and then gave it to my dad who fell in love with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1991 - The original Big Bertha driver. I don’t remember the cost, but it was at the time the most I had spent on a club. As a college student it was a huge expenditure.

So glad I bought that club - truly innovative and was eager to be an early adopter. It changed the game. I don’t hold on to a lot of clubs that I don’t play, but I am never getting rid of that one.

TM Burner Superfast driver (the one Snedeker played forever). That was the first golf club I ever bought for myself, and it stayed in my bag for many years - outlasting a lot of other bag changes. Great driver.

TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 driver. I hit that thing so well and farther than any driver I have tried since. I kick myself every time I play for trading it in. I wish I could find a new old stock somewhere. I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

The ping isi irons I played in high school..

Ping Zing 2. Had these right after I got out of college. First set I was ever fitted for. Loved them!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Titleist DTR irons, 2-PW. My dad handed them down to me in high school and I played them until I turned 30.

GBB Fusion Driver

When I first started playing I bought these at a yard sale. They probably were non-conforming, but they were so easy to hit and I hit them a mile. I eventually upgraded to more conventional clubs, but I loved these ugly sticks.

They were completely conforming, or at least the driver was. MAC Powersphere by Burrows golf. I remember there being a demo day down at my club back in the UK. They were the first, or at least one of the first to use a system where you could bolt different heads onto different shafts with a wrench. It may well have been what led to the adjustable drivers of today. I spoke with the rep, he built the club there and then, and I gave it a whack. It performed way better than the TM 300 steel I was using at the time. I played one for about 2 years. The only issue was the sound. It sounded like the ball was being hit by a huge frying pan LOL.

For me it was the Lynx Black Cat iron set (1i-PW) I was fitted into back in the 90s. I gamed them until winter 2013 and how the same irons could've performed so well for Boom Boom's silky move and my spastic slash still amazes me.

But the most memorable part for me was diligent 4 hour fitting our head pro provided me back then. No launch monitors, nothing indoors except a few measurements. I think he took 6 or 7 different iron sets out to the range. At least half of those also had copies with different shafts etc... Did a lot on the range to cull things out and then he took me out on the course to see how well the 4i, 7i, and PW, of best candidates, performed for me into greens, out of the rough, into the wind etc... Then we thumbed through the Lynx catalogue, him explaining the what's and why's of each choice he made, as he ordered what he considered my best fit. I love the science and numbers utilized today, but that was just an afternoon of tremendous customer service I'll never forget. I was just a hack, the fitting didn't cost a penny, but our pro had a real passion for his profession.

My Ping 1A that I got from my Grandfather when he passed.

Its Memorable because it makes a Ping sound when you hit it. It Can be bad if your 3+ putting all day.

Obviously that not me and why does he only have 1 ball?

Back