Most Popular Iron

I had the RSi2's for a bit, and thought they were great when they weren't having face issues...but man I never saw outside of THPers anyone who had the RSi1's or 2's on the course.

As for PSi's, I don't think I've ever seen someone playing them.
I still have a set of RSi2 heads somewhere. Good sticks, a little hollow sounding in the long irons but that's the sound these days

I would not have guessed the Rogue line, I would likely have said a Ping model based on what I see around near me

I had the RSi2's for a bit, and thought they were great when they weren't having face issues...but man I never saw outside of THPers anyone who had the RSi1's or 2's on the course.

As for PSi's, I don't think I've ever seen someone playing them.

I think a friend of mine had a set of PSi irons, or at least wanted a set but might have ended up with something else when he went for a fitting

What was the biggest selling pro line iron of all time? (I know that we're talking about current models right now.)
I'd guess the Ping Eye 2. I can't count how many sets of those that I used to see.

The biggest overall selling iron, though, had to be The Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge store model. At least it was the last time that I read anything on the subject. Every "catalog store," when catalog stores were popular, sold those as did most sporting goods stores.

I'm going with the Rogue family of irons. It's what I see the most on the golf course.

Okay for those following along, Callaway Rogue is the most popular iron right now. In fact so popular in off course market share, that it is nearly 25% higher than the next closest iron.

That was my guess and and it's because of value and performance. Rogue set is $800 vs Apex 19 $1,225. Big difference, about 35%. Very interested to see the new Callaway iron line and price point.

What was the biggest selling pro line iron of all time? (I know that we're talking about current models right now.)
I'd guess the Ping Eye 2. I can't count how many sets of those that I used to see.

The biggest overall selling iron, though, had to be The Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge store model. At least it was the last time that I read anything on the subject. Every "catalog store," when catalog stores were popular, sold those as did most sporting goods stores.

I just asked a few people and the general consensus is not those, but PING Eye 2 and Tommy Armour 845.

I just asked a few people and the general consensus is not those, but PING Eye 2 and Tommy Armour 845.

Makes sense to me...I have both of those sets in the basement!!

I would be curious what percentage of equipment sales in general are to consumers who play a lot (say, more than 30 rounds per year), participate in forums and otherwise would be classified as avid players.

I would be curious what percentage of sales are to consumers who play a lot (say, more than 30 rounds per year), participate in forums and otherwise would be classified as avid players.

These are very different things.

These are very different things.

I can see that. There are many golfers who play very frequently who are not on forums (how do you capture them, @JB?). I was trying to broadly define those who are really into the game v. Those who play much more casually and I wonder what percentage of of sales go to those who are much less avid.

I can see that. There are many golfers who play very frequently who are not on forums (how do you capture them, @JB?). I was trying to broadly define those who are really into the game v. Those who play much more casually and I wonder what percentage of of sales go to those who are much less avid.

I'm not sure there is a capture so to speak. I mentioned this earlier, but I do think people overlook the vast amount of very avid players in the sunbelt area though.

I'm not sure there is a capture so to speak. I mentioned this earlier, but I do think people overlook the vast amount of very avid players in the sunbelt area though.

I also would imagine there are many retired folks who play multiple times per week who have never ventured into a golf forum (or any forum). There is a group in my neighborhood who invites me to play with them a few times a year. They are all in their 80’s. I get a kick out of how much they truly still love the game. When I tell them about THP and the forum-sponsored experiences I have been in this year, they think it’s dang cool, but they are never going to venture in. These guys probably play more than a hundred rounds per year.

Do Rogue iron sales beat out the irons that come in the Tour Edge complete box sets? I know those numbers are gauged in this topic, but I'm curious.

Do Rogue iron sales beat out the irons that come in the Tour Edge complete box sets? I know those numbers are gauged in this topic, but I'm curious.

yes.

Callaway Big Bertha irons or something similar would be my guess

Now that's interesting. But I suppose a lot of those TE sets are sold through the likes of DSG, etc. Who else isnt included in the statistic?

It still wouldn't be close fwiw. While there are tons of box sets sold, they are taken account for and in the marketshare you can see the trends listed as "other irons".

What do you think is the most popular iron from a sales aspect right now in the marketplace?

I'm gonna guess a tie between 6, 7, 8 ,and 9 irons. I think I've seen some set for sale with no PW and I'd guess there's been at least one set for sale a 6-W.

Interesting question.

OK, so after reading the entire thread, I see the question was much broader than I anticipated.

Last edited:
At $125 a club it should be the PXG 0211 nicest feeling club I've ever hit and at last count I've had 18 iron sets

Tommy Armour 845.

These are making a comeback in 2020.
Curious to see how they will do being a house brand and all now.

Back