Most Underrated Golfer Ever?

I **** you not, when I started this thread, it was because I was looking at Hale Irwin stats.
He immediately came to mind for me. He was salty for a long time, but there was nothing flashy about him and he always seemed an afterthought.

I always thought Jesper Parnevik was underrated.

Payne Stewart or Billy Casper.

I thunk Hubert Green deserves a mention, Here is a Wkipedia copy and paste about him:

In his 26 years on the PGA Tour, Green had 19 victories, including two major championships: the 1977 U.S. Open at Southern Hills Country Club in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and the 1985 PGA Championship at Cherry Hills Country Club in Cherry Hills Village, Colorado. He finished in the top-25 in a third of the PGA Tour events he entered. He also played on three Ryder Cup teams (1977, 1979, and 1985) and was undefeated in singles play.[2][3]

In 1971, Green won the Houston Champions International and was the PGA Tour's Rookie of the Year.[2] He went on to multiple victories throughout 1970s, but he was at his peak in the latter part of that decade.

In March 1976, Green won three PGA Tour events in consecutive weeks, an unusual achievement in any era.

At the 1977 U.S. Open, as Green walked to the 15th tee of the final round, he was notified of a caller anonymously phoning in a death threat on his life. The police presented him with options, and he courageously opted to play on, winning by one stroke over Lou Graham.[4]

A month later at the 1977 Open Championship at Turnberry, Green finished third behind Tom Watson and Jack Nicklaus, who were respectively eleven and ten shots clear of Green in their famous "Duel in the Sun."[5] Alluding to the extent to which Watson and Nicklaus's scores were so significantly clear of the rest of the field, he notably remarked, "I won the other tournament".

Green was ranked third in Mark McCormack's world golf rankings in 1977, having also won the 1977 Irish Open in August. He was also runner-up, one stoke behind, to Baldovino Dassù, at the 1976 Dunlop Masters.

Green finished in the top 10 of the Masters six times in seven years from 1974 to 1980. At the 1978 Masters he came to the final hole about 30 minutes after Gary Player had finished a round of 64. Player had a 1-shot lead over Green, who hit a good drive and then a great approach to within three feet of the cup. Green had to back away from the putt when he overheard radio announcer Jim Kelly say something. When Green took the stroke, he pushed it a little to the right and the putt slid by. Green never blamed Kelly, however, telling Golf Digest, "Only an amateur would have been put off by the interruption — or would try to make excuses about it."[3]

At the 1985 PGA Championship, Green won his second major title, two strokes ahead of defending champion Lee Trevino. It was Green's 19th and final victory on the PGA Tour.

In 1998, his second season on the Senior PGA Tour (now PGA Tour Champions), Green won the Bruno's Memorial Classic in his hometown of Birmingham, Alabama. He shot a final round of 64, playing the last six holes with an eagle, four birdies, and one par to beat Hale Irwin by one stroke.

Green was also active in golf course design, having worked on TPC Southwind, the site for the PGA Tour's St. Jude Classic; Reynolds Plantation in Greensboro, Georgia; and Greystone Golf & Country Club, the site of his Bruno's Classic victory.

Green retired as a touring professional in 2009.

Steve Stricker and Fred Funk came to mind off the bat.

Larry Nelson. He didn't get in to the HOF until he was 59, despite his winning career. And only after a long campaign by ESPN did it happen.

Tom Kite is another one. Only one major, but led the tour earnings list for 5 years straight IIRC.

Corey Pavin comes to mind. Didn’t hit it far at all, relied on iron game, short game, and putting. That year he won’t the US open at Shinnecock the course was insanely difficult.
150 weeks inside the PGA top 10
64545673-1F86-42A9-A962-346663FBF440.png

I agree on Casper, but anther contender could be Haler Irwin. 3 US Opens and 17 other wins on tour, plus he had a very long and meaningful career.

Also has the most Champions Tour Wins (45)

Tom Kite was the first that came to mind. Not a ton of PGA Tour wins (19) and only one major but he seemed to always be a force to be reckoned with week in and week out.
Now I would have considered to be an overachiever.

Moe Norman. While he played most of his professional golf on the Canadian Tour winning 55 times and establishing 33 course records, he did play for a while on both the PGA Tour and PGA Senior Tour. He also played twice in the Masters as an amateur.

Sam Snead described Norman as the greatest striker of the ball. In January 2005, Tiger Woods told Golf Digest's Jaime Diaz that only two golfers in history have "owned their swings": Moe Norman and Ben Hogan.

We will limit it to the PGA Tour.
Say from 1950-
And they had to have won at least twice.

In which case it must be …..

Ian Poulter!

Charles Howell III.

3 PGA Tour wins
16 second place finishes
95 top-10 finishes
$39.7 million in career earnings

Every time I see him on the career earnings list my mind is blown. This is a good one. He’s been absurdly consistently good. Maybe not great, but really good.

Billy Casper. 51 victories and 3 majors and had to play against Nicklaus, Player, Trevino and many other greats at their peak as he is only 3 years older than Jack. He holds the record for career Ryder Cups points by an American. One of the top 5 clutch putters of all time.

This was my first thought. Hard to argue against him. Wasn't flamboyant so not as popular as his better-known peers, but the man could play & take your money.

My first thought is Larry Nelson. 19 wins, 2 majors and was an after thought whenever any captaincy for the Ryder Cup was discussed, albeit meeting all the criteria previously considered in selecting a captain.

Probably my second choice - until I saw all the other names here. Lots of good choices.

Last edited:
This was my first thought. Hard to argue against him. Wasn't flamboyant so not as popular as his better-known peers, but the man could play & take your money.

Probably my second choice

Most don’t realize Larry Nelson took up golf at the age of 21 after returning from his infantry duty in Vietnam. He is likely the only Major winner that took up the game in his twenties and gives hope to all golfers who take up this crazy game at a later age.

I was going to say Buffalo Bill as well.

Same. Plus as nice of a guy that ever lived. I got to meet him once and he was pure class.

I would say Billy Casper as well. It should have been the big 4, not the big 3. I read somewhere he had a bit of a disagreement with Mark McCormick, which is what dimmed his star.

How about Vijay Singh. No one liked him, but racking up 34 wins on the PGA Tour and 3 majors is pretty dang good. He had a bulletproof swing too, if he could putt he would have put a serious dent in Tiger's career.

For a while he and Mickelson were neck and neck in wins. I think there might have been a thread here (or maybe it was a different site) about who was gonna be the first to 30 wins. If Vijay was a better putter, he would still be right up there with Phil in wins and probably majors.

Hale Irwin is a good choice for his overall career - including Champions tour which he dominated as well.
I can see arguing for Jim Furyk, Payne Stewart, & some others mentioned.

Surprised no one mentioned Cary Middlecoff (well, not too surprised considering the age of most THPers). His numbers (40 wins, 3 majors) are right up there with Mickelson.

Other names to at least be on the list:

Nick Price: 18 PGA wins & 3 majors (2 in a row in 1994). And one of the classiest & nicest guys ever. His first PGA win was in Akron, and I remember people who worked at Firestone saying Nick remembered not only their names, but the names of their family members & would ask about them - like he was a neighbor 2 doors down. A genuinely great human being by all accounts I've heard.

Bernhard Langer maybe? Only 3 PGA wins, but 2 Masters wins, and he played Euro tour mostly where he is #2 alltime in wins (42) behind Seve.
And 41 Tour Champion wins currently. He and Tom Watson are two recent examples of guys who continued to compete with much younger players for a whole lot of years.

How about Vijay Singh. No one liked him, but racking up 34 wins on the PGA Tour and 3 majors is pretty dang good. He had a bulletproof swing too, if he could putt he would have put a serious dent in Tiger's career.
And he’s gonna add to it his wins on the champions tour. Definitely underrated

Not the most underrated, but in a lot of ways Tiger is underrated. He made winning look so easy that his accomplishments are underrated as it pertains to majors. We expect players to pick up where he left off. I have debates in her with folks that thought Rory was sure to eclipse Tiger, then it was Spieth. Then Brooks came along and if you dared to say "Let's wait and see" you were deemed out of your mind.

I had thought about starting a thread about this very topic on a global scale and was thinking about presenting Monty as the golfer.
PGA Tour I like CH3 for this generation. Had one fly in the hole and out into a hazard to lose the tournament!

Bubba. It is too easy to focus on his quirky personality, awkward communication style, and wild approach to shot making. But the guy has a great game with 12 wins including 2 masters. He’s one of the best golfers of his time.
I agree. Home made swing. Also competed mostly in Tiger era.

Corey Pavin comes to mind. Didn’t hit it far at all, relied on iron game, short game, and putting. That year he won’t the US open at Shinnecock the course was insanely difficult.
150 weeks inside the PGA top 10
View attachment 8932243
Funny you should mention Corey Pavin. I used to work with his older brother at Titleist. Matt Pavin worked for Titleist for 21 years and fell victim to corporate downsizing in 2015. He sure looks different than when I knew him. At the time he was a bit stocky and sported a bushy mustache. Really nice guy.

Lennie Clements was a real grinder. He came close to being with the front runners a few times. He is now selling real estate (or was), in Coronado California. I worked with his wife Jan when they lived in Rancho Bernardo CA.

Jumbo Ozaki or Billy Casper.

Back