My 2010 Golf Goal

McCain: Glad to hear someone is in the same boat. This is the first season that I have hit the single-digit mark. Your putting is great, man. I would kill for what you have; I am happy when I have 29 per round. My driving is the stable part of my game (around 70% a round). I noticed that I score much better when I am getting more GIRs, so that is where I am looking to improve. I worked almost exclusively on my short game in the pre-season, and it has paid dividends. I can still use some improvement in that area, but I am happy with it.

I am glad to hear that your swing change (flattened a bit) has been paying off. Best wishes this season and keep us updated.

My goal for this year is much the same as yours. I'd like to maintain a single digit HDCP for the entire summer. I fluctuate between 14-9. The downfall in my game is inconsistency. I have days when I can't miss with my irons, but my driver is in trouble all day. I have days when my driver and irons are both good, but my chipping is terrible. Putting is the only thing fairly stable in my game (25-30 PPR). I have worked hard and making my misses more tolerable. I also flattened my swing plane a smidge and have had good results so far. My miss is a snap hook, with comes from pulling back too far upright and coming in way too steep and off the toe. In my opinion the difference between a 15 and 8 hdcp is driving and short game, so I work on those the most. I'll check in from time to time, good luck!!!

Thanks, Hawk! I hope to stay here as well. The Illinois weather has been decent thus far, which I think always helps the psyche. How are things going for you? Getting enough rounds in?

I missed your latest update interlooper. Congrats on making sub 10.0! Here's to keeping under it. Also, glad to hear you are having such a great season so far.

Johnday and Jak: I hope the two of you meet and exceed your goals this season. Best wishes.

I noticed something in my game today. As I have been hitting more GIRs per round, my putts per round have also increased. When I was hit 20-30% of GIRs a round, my putting was approximately 30-31 per round. When I hit 55-67% of GIRs, my putting approximately 35-36 per round. The obvious explanation is that when I hit a GIR, I am likely further from the hole than I would be had I missed the green and then chipped close. The bottom-line is that while hitting more GIRs is giving me more opportunity to shoot lower scores, I simply am not taking advantage. I had always thought my putting was fairly decent, but now I am recognizing that I can use a little more work. I think that it will get better when my ball striking gets me closer to the pin on approach shots, rather than 30 feet or so away, but I need to get my putting in top-notch gear.

I plan to focus on this for the next couple weeks. As you likely know, practicing putting can be a bit boring, so please let me know if you have any putting drills that you like!

from somewhere in the 12 index range all the way to the PGA tour the key to improvement is to working on your greatest weaknesses.. at about a 6 index I got a coach who had me really chart my numbers and I learned very quickly that I was in no way very good at hitting fairways or greens or putting etc... so I went to work with his help on drills and technique.. Not sure I use much of that anymore.. I find a key and it becomes the wave I ride for a week or two and then I need another.. sometimes I find I have simply forgotten a basic.. but the best players I know (who play on tour) make much less of this than I do.. all they care about is knowing they are hitting it well.. If they hit it well the scores eventually follow.. not so with most of us I guess but I used the comparative stats on FreeGolfInfo.com to understand how many greens and fairways a scratch player hit and measuring myself that way was a big step forward as I hovered down toward scratch (which I have not achieved)... My goal this year is to set the bag and not change anything but the amount of time I spend practicing out of Bunkers.. I want to get my sand save percentage above 55%... My up and down % is ok primarily because my home course has the smallest greens on the peninsula by a long shot (being almost as old as Pebble)..our Bunkers are fluffy and severely angled to make playing out of them difficult.. our members have no clue how to rake them and they can truly be a hazard at times...

Scoring You Your Peers
Handicap 3.59 0-4
Average Score 75.10 76.63
Par 3 Average 3.17 3.39
Par 4 Average 4.23 4.37
Par 5 Average 5.04 5.05
% of Eagles 0.00% 1.68%
% of Birdies 12.08% 12.29%
% of Pars 60.39% 52.71%
% of Bogeys 26.09% 26.79%
% of Doubles 0.97% 6.46%
% of Others 0.48% 3.89%

Putting & Driving You Your Peers
Average Putts/Round 28.54 31.69
Average Putts/Hole 1.58 1.76
Average Putts/GIR 1.73 1.90
Average Driving Distance 0.0 261.6
% Fairway Success 61.49% 57.30%
Average GIRs/Round 7.83 9.81

Skill Categories You Your Peers
% GIR Success 43.48% 54.48%
% Up & Down Success 48.65% 48.47%
% Sand Save Success 0.00% 50.53%
Average Penalties/Round 0.00 1.07
Average 1st Putt Distance 0.0 14.9

Your Peers: There are a total of 2816 GameTrack users with handicaps ranging from 0-4

I want to break par two consecutive rounds this summer. None of this annoying 71, 78,69, 81 bolognA

My goal is to get my handicap below 3 and break 70. Went into #18 last week at 2 under (on a par 71), popped up my drive, ended up with a 6 footer for par and lipped it out... It was one of only a few rounds that I've ever finished under par but I really wanted that 69.

ugh. I have developed a nagging wrist injury. At this point it will not keep me from playing, but it will force me to cut back a bit and definitely prevent me from hitting on the mats at the range. Moreover, for the next couple weeks I will need to wear a brace when I sleep. I hope this doesn't impact my pursuit of my 2010 goal, but more importantly, I hope this doesn't impact my ability to play in the long-run.

My goal is to get my handicap below 3 and break 70. Went into #18 last week at 2 under (on a par 71), popped up my drive, ended up with a 6 footer for par and lipped it out... It was one of only a few rounds that I've ever finished under par but I really wanted that 69.

That my friend is why you don't think about it! I had the elusive 69 (on the course) last year. Lowest round ever. Par 70, but still. I knew I was playing well, but until I added it up I didn't know I cracked the 70 brick wall. I drank well that night!

I haven't updated this thread in nearly a month, so I thought I would give a quick one. The carpal tunnel in my wrist is still giving me a little trouble, but I have made great progress in managing it. I hardly ever hit off of mats now and I wear a wrist brace while I sleep if it starts acting up. I also have specific wrist stretches I do prior to and after swinging the clubs. This all seems to help manage the issue.

Most importantly, I have been able to play considerably more golf this season. Whereas last season I would have just went to the range, nowadays I am finding myself hitting a quick 9 holes instead. I think this is definitely helping with my course management skills. I know I can use significant help in this respect.

I am still in line with my major 2010 golf goal -- maintaining a single digit HCP. I am noticing, however, that as my ball-striking and short game is improving, my driving accuracy is decreasing. For the last 20 rounds, my GIRs is just under 40%. But my driving accuracy is just under 40% too. I would like to get my driving % above 50%.

Finally, I think I have the ability to go even lower with my scores. On my last round at Cog Hill, I had 3 birdies on the front 9. That is not a usual custom for me. Although I had a double and 2 bogeys to offset it, it leads me to believe that I can really put things together. Those are the rounds that make you want to play another 18.

I was thinking about this thread yesterday when I saw a post you made. Congrats on getting/keeping your handicap where you want it interlooper!

Thanks, Hawk. It has been a very fun season thus far.

Back to the basics...

I have been messing with my set-up routine the past couple days. After 2 rounds of not feeling completely comfortable while addressing the ball, I decided to take a step back and look at how I was adressing the ball. I realized that my set-up routine would sometimes lead me to slightly open my shoulders at setup. This slightly open shouldered stance would, in turn, cause me to miss left sometimes.

After recognizing this issue, I tried several different techniques and believe that I found one that works better for me.

The new set-up routine...

(1) Find "far out" target.
(2) Find "intermediary target".
(3) Set my left-hand on the club in its grip position (very important for me).
(4) Address ball with club in left hand, feet together and right hand at side.
(5) Spread feet to proper distance and correct ball position.
(6) Finally, bring right hand to club without changing my shoulder position (very important for me).

This has worked well thus far. Shot a 1-over 73 this morning using this new routine. Felt really good and comfortable at address.

Back to the basics...

I have been messing with my set-up routine the past couple days. After 2 rounds of not feeling completely comfortable while addressing the ball, I decided to take a step back and look at how I was adressing the ball. I realized that my set-up routine would sometimes lead me to slightly open my shoulders at setup. This slightly open shouldered stance would, in turn, cause me to miss left sometimes.

After recognizing this issue, I tried several different techniques and believe that I found one that works better for me.

The new set-up routine...

(1) Find "far out" target.
(2) Find "intermediary target".
(3) Set my left-hand on the club in its grip position (very important for me).
(4) Address ball with club in left hand, feet together and right hand at side.
(5) Spread feet to proper distance and correct ball position.
(6) Finally, bring right hand to club without changing my shoulder position (very important for me).

This has worked well thus far. Shot a 1-over 73 this morning using this new routine. Felt really good and comfortable at address.

*borat voice* Great Success!

Some times you feel the game conquers you, and sometimes you feel that you conquer the game. Today was one of those days that I felt like I beat the game. Though it was not my lowest score (I shot a 4-over 75), I believe it was my best round. Everything seemed to be fitting together well.

My driving was just "on." I watched Anthony Kim on playing lessons with the pros and he was explaining how he likes to keep his lower body incredibly still with his swing on the tee. I do that as well, but sometimes I think I get lazy with my lower body and allow it to become too involved. So, this round, my only swing thought on the tee was quite lower body. It worked wonderfully. Hit 13/14 fairways... and was hitting at the top end of my distance range.

I hope this swing thought can be something I can use for the remainder of the season.

Back