My experience with a serious tournament

Dance_Business

AARP Member :)
Reaction score
Handicap
Practice
I just finished the Memphis Publinks tournament today. My second time & thoroughly enjoyed myself. No I did not post great rounds, but I played the best I could the last three days. It is supposed to be two days & a cut to low 70 & ties; however, rain washed away the first day & the final flight score I shot with it. The first partners were interesting & clearly better than I. One shot 74 in the final of the Senior Publinks last year, the other had never played these courses & shoots occasional high 70's. I have never broken 80...

The first round was at Audubon. A simple track with tiny greens that were faster than anyone had ever seen them. Since the three courses are all city owned, in a fiscally shaky city, none are like any course that THP takes us to. With temps around 100, the course was hard & fast. I played well from the tee box & putted well. My down fall was second shots, many of which led to third shots! After playing Highlands, Ledgestone & others with THP the last two weeks my swing has gotten steep. I have been striping shots from tender turf and Memphis does not have any tender turf! I hit many shots short with huge divots and equally huge frustration. With 4 holes remaining we got pummeled by a thunderstorm. After about 45 minutes of weather delay, we returned to finish up. I scored 90 in the dripping heat & felt okay with it. That was one of the highest scores of the day., but 7 shots better than the first round last year! Success. Then the rain returned, many could not finish; and the tournament was forced to wash out the first day's scores. The cut was dropped and all golfers would play the next two days! I call it a cut made!

The second round was at Galloway. Galloway is a really short course, only about 6000 yards from the tips. What it lacked in distance, the course made up for on the greens. After all most 3 inches of rain the day before, the greens were sooo slow! Coming from Audubon's Teflon coatings to these shag carpets killed me. I played well from tee to green. Long drives in the fairway, better second shots, chipping better than ever... Then the putting started. Four 3-putts and a FOUR putt. Only on the last 4 holes did I adjust well enough. An 87 was in the books and another shot at breaking 80 was down the drain. An interesting note: my partners never shared yardages or chatted like day one. On a par three I asked one if his GPS showed 210 to center and he bluffed me! He said it showed a few more than the plate(179yds) by the tee box! That's not how I roll!

I was excited to see the pairings pop up for Saturday's final round. I made the 5th flight! Next to last for some, but a success for me! Last year I missed the cut with a 189, my first two rounds this year were 177 & a 10 stroke improvement! Little did I know I was be asking for trouble. I did a bit of research on my fellow players. Most were easy to find in other tournaments & were good for high 60's to high 70's! How did I find myself in their flight?! No matter, all I can do is play my game in the moment. I have played Foxmeadows hundreds of times over the years, so I was comfortable starting off. I was last to go in our threesome. I watched two long bombs float down the first fairway, a par five. I stepped up & promptly top hooked my drive! I felt a bit like Jman at the THP Invitational in Elgin! The scramble began! Three shots later I had ten feet for an easy par.

The greens were the best of the three courses by far; not too fast, not too slow. I putted well today, though I did have two 3 putts. I drove the ball well, even hitting a few high shots over Oak trees. If you have seen me play, you know I do not normally hit driver higher than most punch a 3 iron! The Fox is the longest of the three courses, measuring 6545 from the tips. When I first started playing I thought no one could ever play this course from back there! I played well through the first 6 holes, including a tough 215yd par 3 that made me look good(par!). The 7th hole used to kill me. A par four that finishes off water guarding the last 90 yards. I hit 2hybrid to avoid rolling into the water like last year & flared it way right. I had about 175 to the green with a slight breeze at me. 5 iron was the call & I was wishing for an Altitude! I topped the shot into the water. Dropped at about the 110 mark & splashed again. Eventually holing out for a quad. My mind left me after that & I finished the front with doubles on 8 & 9.

I got off to a decent start on the back nine. Hitting a strong drive through trees down the left side. Just as on the first, 3 shots later I made a decent putt for par. Such an easy game! A birdie on a particularly easy par 4 & par on a tough par 3 and I was rolling right along! Then another blowup. A topped drive, two shots from a bunker that feigned sand, and 2 putts for triple. Finished with straight bogies and day dreams of a massage. 92 was not the best I can do at Foxmeadows, but it was the best I had today. My partners shot 83 & 87.

We were the first threesome out from our flight & it would take a while for me too see that I was dead last in my flight. Had I shot one shot worse the day before I'd have walked away with Callaway goodies from a 5th or 6th place. Which leads me to a conundrum. I like to win things & I could definitely see how someone could milk the system to find an easier flight. With the top 8 in each flight walking away with real prizes, the temptation is great! I'll play for score, I can always buy more clubs! Instead I walk away knowing I made it through three rounds of stroke play. I handled less than ideal course conditions, over zealous competitors, Memphis heat & humidity, and played to or better than my handicap all three days. 269 total.

Vegas can't get here soon enough!

Last edited:
Sounds like a blast. I'm convinced that the only way to get better at tournament golf is to play tournament golf. Congrats on playing all three days and having a great time!

Rope hooked with my HTC One

Oh, and BigTazz53 won his flight! A new set of Callaway XHOT irons!

Congrats! Nice post. Glad you had a good experience. Happy for Tazz.

As the saying goes there's golf. Then there's tournament golf.

Congrats on your improvement and thanks for the post. It's always great to read about others tournament experience.

Nice write up man. Glad to see you improved on last year and had some fun out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Glad you had a good time Dance. I would like to try this next year too. I had a couple of friends in there and they said Audabon greens were brutal. Nice write up man!

That would be so much fun...Congrats on playing through and great write up! Well done on the clubs BT

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Loved the write-up! Sounds like you considered it a successful outing for you, and that's what counts.

Great post, good to hear you enjoyed the time spent. Sounds like some solid players in this.

Dance Business good shooting man and way to keep grinding and not sandbagging to get in a easier flight!

That's awesome Benji! Congrats on actually playing and playing well. Tournaments are not th easiest thing to do and happy to see that you improved from last year as well.

It truly was a test of keeping hydrated and keeping a grip on your clubs.
If they keep the rotation going then next year the first 2 rounds will be at Fox an Galloway
with the finals at Audubon. I wish they'd play it later or earlier in the year because only Galloway
has water on the course, the other 2 have broken fountains from the 50's that don't work or spit out hot water.
Till next year, plenty of golf till then

thank you for all the kind words and encouragement. the tournament was exhausting and exhilarating. I look forward to doing more!

Enjoyed your write up and love your attitude! I started playing tournaments a few years ago and was always so nervous. I really stunk them up! The more you play the better you will get. There's nothing better than a good challenging stroke play tournament to test your game.

Back