My round with a tour pro

jfox789

2022 Budget Golf Champion & 2021 Dream Foursome!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
This afternoon, I had a cool experience getting to play with a young guy who has been bouncing around the PGA. He recently finished second in an event and had played in the USO here in LA last year.

For context, I was invited to play as a third (we didn't have a fourth), and my home course in LA gets a decent amount of really good golfers at our course, and I have met this player a few times. I told him I wanted to write this up but can't mention him by name.

I learned a lot, so I thought it would be worth a share -

• Taking it low - This was the first thing I asked. I struggle with keeping a low score low. Lately, I will be on track for a really low round and then take my foot off the gas and coast to a normal round - his advice is that every swing should focus on what you are doing well. If you are hitting a baby fade that you can control really well, stick with the fade. Keep making the same repeatable swing and focus on what you are doing well, not your score; take it one shot at a time; the second you zoom out, you lose focus, and if you can't do that, then make a mini-game for yourself to keep focus, Tiger often played mini-games. Funny enough, this guy didn't even know what he shot after the round, and it was mid-60s.

• Putting Alignment - This should be practiced as much as your swing on the range. As frequently as you change swing paths, your putting also changes. You may think you aim square but are actually open/closed, so it is crucial to spend time with alignment tools getting square. Regular golfers rarely align perfectly to their target. This is why you see so many pros before big rounds using alignment aides.

• Swing and on-course thoughts - Similar to above, when you make a swing, you should focus on making the swing that works best for you and has been best for you that day, not what was best yesterday. Between shots, you should be focused on only the hole you are on. For putting, the best players in the world will take their practice swings, align themselves, and then stare at the hole; after the pro gets their image, they are already set and just have to putt their ball to their image. There is very little time between visualizing and rolling the ball.

• Attacking pins - Tiger has said this a few times, but you should almost never take aim at a pin. Aim for the easiest putt to the pin. A few feet short or left or right or long. Whatever will leave you with the straightest uphill or flat putt possible. On the second hole today, I went a few feet long and had a tricky shot, and he pointed out the ideal spot is a landing zone about 4 feet short, which was a really simple putt.

• Tour Pros and Club Contracts - This was interesting because he is a free agent. Mathematically if you give up a single stroke because you aren't playing the best equipment for every slot in your bag, you will lose more money than whatever a club contract is worth.

• Playing a short driver - Super tall dude, but he plays a driver that is a few inches short for him. He already hits it far enough; all he needs to do is hit fairways.

His game was incredible. Probably the best ball striking I have ever seen. He hit three or four approach shots within 5 feet like it was normal. His putting was good; he made everything within 5 feet, but it didn't blow me away like his ball striking. We played at about 7,000 yards, so I was definitely impressed with how close he consistently hitting it.

All in all, great day. I have already ordered multiple alignment putting tools to arrive before my next round!

Last edited:
Great insights, and that must have been a fun round. Thanks for sharing it!

That sounds like it was a lot of fun and a very insightful round. Great right up and thank you for sharing.

Sounds like a really awesome round and learning experience

That’s awesome @jfox789 !!

Glad you got that experience and extremely glad you were willing to share it.

Thanks for sharing. I am in awe of the good ball striking of club pros. Joining a touring pro must have been special.

Such a great opportunity. Thanks for sharing it

Thanks for your great insight. It reminds me of when I did a playing lesson in Georgia. It was the lest time I had in the course. On our last hole we did a closest to the pin on a 190yd Par 3. I don’t think he let me win but I beat him by a foot. Our bet was a hotdog/drink

Thanks again for your great insight

Do you think he was intimidated playing with you?

Playing with really good players is very helpful and inspiring!

Yesterday I played in a 2 man scramble tournament and my partner and I were paired with two incredible players. I knew if we could keep up with them that we’d have a shot at doing well in the tournament.

It was inspiring to me to see them hit shots that I am not currently capable of. To see them drive the green on a Par 4 hole by cutting the corner and taking the ball over the trees or over a house was very impressive.

My role on our team was to hit first off the tee and put one in play to free up my partner who despite having a higher handicap is a longer hitter than me. Our opponents commented on how boring my game was, which I thought was kind of funny.

The one area where we might have been a little better was course management and strategy. We played fairly conservatively and they always took the riskier approach. They made more birdies than we did but they also had a couple of bogeys which we avoided. There were three flights in the tournament and we ended up tying them for low gross and we won low net in the top flight because we got two strokes and they didn’t get any.

We had a ball playing with them. It was so much fun. Really enjoyed observing their game, talking to them afterwards and getting some fresh insights.

That sounds so fun to watch and learn from a pro

That is a great post @jfox789 thanks for sharing that.

Love the post. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

• Attacking pins - Tiger has said this a few times, but you should almost never take aim at a pin. Aim for the easiest putt to the pin. A few feet short or left or right or long. Whatever will leave you with the straightest uphill or flat putt possible. On the second hole today, I went a few feet long and had a tricky shot, and he pointed out the ideal spot is a landing zone about 4 feet short, which was a really simple putt.
Me:

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

I think if you have the distance the fairways are more important, couldn't agree more. I mean, we learned it this weekend what not hitting fairways can do to a score.

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing. Curious why you said you can't mention his name?

Thanks for sharing. That was really informative.

Sounds like a really awesome experience!

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing. Curious why you said you can't mention his name?
Yeah, I always hate when they do that—in general, not the OP. Even tour pros aren’t so special that they require anonymity on a niche board on the interweb. It’s not like their names are classified information.

To me the experience also depends so much on what type of golfer they are. Like, playing with a guy like Bubba who can hit it a mile and curve the ball like crazy would be one-of-a-kind type thing

But sometimes it's kind of like OP put it, you're barely paying attention and they make shooting a 66 look easy.

I played with a Canadian tour guy once, he only hit it maybe 280 or so so he wasn't overly long. He just basically didn't miss a shot all day and shot 66 with a 31 on the back 9. But i didn't leave thinking he hit any shots i couldn't hit.

Great tips! Sounds like you had front row tickets to an incredible golf show!

Sounds like you had a great time. (y)

A friend of mine plays on the LPGA Tour (Megan Khang). I've know her since she was 10, and have played quite a bit of golf with her, as well as attending many of her junior tournaments. Her talent is breathtaking.

Thanks for your great insight. It reminds me of when I did a playing lesson in Georgia. It was the lest time I had in the course. On our last hole we did a closest to the pin on a 190yd Par 3. I don’t think he let me win but I beat him by a foot. Our bet was a hotdog/drink

Thanks again for your great insight

Thats awesome! Our standard bet was push-ups!

Do you think he was intimidated playing with you?
I mashed one on the first hole and he hit one off the toe. I was about two feet longer in the fairway, so I set the tone early.

Last edited:
Back