My workplace acquired a golf course, and...oh, dear...

Bear906

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, the resort-hotel that I work for acquired a nearby golf course. It was closed all of last season for renovations, and is now back in operation.

Yesterday, I played a round there for the first time--on my nickel. not the company's--with an old golfing buddy. The course had enjoyed a good reputation in the past and my best friend is now a greenskeeper there...so why not give it a whirl?

The course was not in good shape. The layout was confusing. There was no signage, benches, ball washers, or any other amenities at any of the tee boxes, no yardage markers along the fairways, and maybe two wastebaskets on the whole course. We ended up using the wrong tee box for a hole due to the lack of signage and had to keep an eye on the groups ahead of us to navigate the course. Some of the greens were diabolically treacherous.

After we finished the 18th hole, we were glad the round was finally over. I was deeply embarrassed to have subjected my good friend to what amounts to an unfinished golf course.

Worse yet, my boss was in the group behind us. I am going to be asked about the course sooner rather than later by both my boss and my best friend, and possibly asked to entertain clients there.

It is going to be difficult to handle this diplomatically...

Handle it honestly, if it means that much to you.

Kiss some butt if you like your job more than your pride.

I'd say be diplomatic, but don't sugar coat it. Say something along the lines of "I have to be honest, as an avid golfer, I would not return due to these reasons. I definitely do not think this facility is of acceptable standard to host clients."

Depending on how much your other coworkers are experienced golfers, your honest opinion and review can be extremely valuable. Especially if you mentioned that its going to be a place to bring clients. You could put improvements into 3 categories for the decision makers, Cat 1 items that are basic to all courses and should be included, then Cat 2, which may be classified as more non-essential, but recommended, and Cat 3 which would be top tier amenities/aspects of the course.

It could be tough to word it, but it definitely seems like honest feedback is needed.

Honesty is the best in this situation. Surely your boss has the same thoughts?

Honesty doesn't have to be mean. Say the layout was confusing and needs some standard amenities out there. It takes time to put the finishing touches. As far as how the course plays you can give whatever info you want. Everyone has a different opinion on a golf course.

If you boss is a golfer, he may be thinking some of the same things. I think there could be an opportunity to give constructive criticism without being a d*ck about it.

For example, lack of signage, maybe tell him you got lost a few times, even some temporary signage could help reduce confusion and even speed up play a bit.

Give your feedback, be honest. Who knows, maybe it nets you some benefits.

Thinks like yardage markers, garbages, tee info signs... hopefully have just slipped someone's mind. If it isn't up to par, or your expectations, against the reputation of the past, say so.

Dance with diplomacy: "I'm excited by the possibilities of what it will be once it is completed..." or something. Being positive and complementary while leaving the door open to a conversation about the current status, if he wants to ask the question. You don't want to be sunshine and roses about everything if he was in the group behind you and also noticed the rough conditions.

I would just be honest but not ugly about it. Talk about the potential it has but certain areas that could be improved, without dogging anyone or the company. I'm sure he probably has some of the same opinions as you if he played behind you.

He won't want to be hosting prospective clients there if it will look bad on his company. Honesty will hopefully spur some changes for the good.

Dance with diplomacy: "I'm excited by the possibilities of what it will be once it is completed..." or something. Being positive and complementary while leaving the door open to a conversation about the current status, if he wants to ask the question. You don't want to be sunshine and roses about everything if he was in the group behind you and also noticed the rough conditions.
That's right along the lines of what I was thinking: once things get sorted out and up to the level of the rest of our facilities, it's going to be a significant asset.

We do have a graphic design department and they're pretty dang good when it comes to making up temporary signage that still looks professional. Some temporary signage such as that used by realtors would do the job. A couple of e-mails might be all it takes to iron out that particular wrinkle.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago, the resort-hotel that I work for acquired a nearby golf course. It was closed all of last season for renovations, and is now back in operation.

Yesterday, I played a round there for the first time--on my nickel. not the company's--with an old golfing buddy. The course had enjoyed a good reputation in the past and my best friend is now a greenskeeper there...so why not give it a whirl?

The course was not in good shape. The layout was confusing. There was no signage, benches, ball washers, or any other amenities at any of the tee boxes, no yardage markers along the fairways, and maybe two wastebaskets on the whole course. We ended up using the wrong tee box for a hole due to the lack of signage and had to keep an eye on the groups ahead of us to navigate the course. Some of the greens were diabolically treacherous.

After we finished the 18th hole, we were glad the round was finally over. I was deeply embarrassed to have subjected my good friend to what amounts to an unfinished golf course.

Worse yet, my boss was in the group behind us. I am going to be asked about the course sooner rather than later by both my boss and my best friend, and possibly asked to entertain clients there.

It is going to be difficult to handle this diplomatically...
Think you have to be honest. But if your boss is a golfer, they should already know, if not, offer to take them to a course locally that you'd like yours to be like so they can compare the experiences

I’d definitely be honest and let him know that you were pretty embarrassed taking your buddy out there and not sure that you’d want to entertain clients there with the way it is. I wouldn’t sugarcoat it, one because that’s the way I am, and two, the right people need to know that it needs improvement before any clients see the course.

I think you have to be diplomatic and constructive but not a jerk about it. I also would talk with your friend who is the greenskeeper. If he is really a friend he would want to hear the truth. Again try be constructive and make sure he knows you are trying to help. Lying about it doesn't help anyone.

I’d definitely be honest and let him know that you were pretty embarrassed taking your buddy out there and not sure that you’d want to entertain clients there with the way it is. I wouldn’t sugarcoat it, one because that’s the way I am, and two, the right people need to know that it needs improvement before any clients see the course.
Thing is, we used to have partnerships with the better local courses and sent clients there on our dime. A great time was had by all.

Now, those arrangements are history, and directing our valued guests to a golf course that I know they'll love is now sending business to a competitor.

Even if our course was in prime condition, I think it's a bit too tough in its current configuration for the average golfer to negotiate enjoyably. That's, well, rather concerning.

For my own curiosity- What was the level of "renovations"? It would take longer than a 'season' to make the greens diabolical unless they were already pretty tricky. If they just re-sodded tees and changed the type of grass on the greens, that could have made the greens seem worse, amplifying the already severe slopes, etc...

But anyway- How well are you connected with that sector of the company that handled the 'takeover/renovation'? Or even your Boss? Do either of you have some say as to what could/should be done? By all means, if they want to be connected to a Facility that will represent the Resort, then that course should be up to the standards of that resort and should be given any feedback from you, your boss and any customers of the Resort. Get a few bad reports on Social Media and word will spread pretty quick that "the place is a dump", or "It's a Joke of a course", etc... and revenue will be lost. "Revenue" being a key word here- keep mentioning the loss of "revenue", "Revenue will drop", and such. Things will get fixed.

For my own curiosity- What was the level of "renovations"? It would take longer than a 'season' to make the greens diabolical unless they were already pretty tricky. If they just re-sodded tees and changed the type of grass on the greens, that could have made the greens seem worse, amplifying the already severe slopes, etc...

But anyway- How well are you connected with that sector of the company that handled the 'takeover/renovation'? Or even your Boss? Do either of you have some say as to what could/should be done? By all means, if they want to be connected to a Facility that will represent the Resort, then that course should be up to the standards of that resort and should be given any feedback from you, your boss and any customers of the Resort. Get a few bad reports on Social Media and word will spread pretty quick that "the place is a dump", or "It's a Joke of a course", etc... and revenue will be lost. "Revenue" being a key word here- keep mentioning the loss of "revenue", "Revenue will drop", and such. Things will get fixed.
From all the work artifacts I observed on the fairways, it would seem that the irrigation system was the top project, and work is ongoing.

I've texted my greenskeeper friend and hopefully will see him later this afternoon.

And yes, it's definitely possible that a complimentary round on this course could turn valued clients into former clients. Oy...

Unless your boss is instrumental it the course's acquisition, development, or acquisition, I see no reason you have to tiptoe around how bad it is. Assuming he already knows you're an avid golfer, he should trust your opinion.

From all the work artifacts I observed on the fairways, it would seem that the irrigation system was the top project, and work is ongoing.

I've texted my greenskeeper friend and hopefully will see him later this afternoon.

And yes, it's definitely possible that a complimentary round on this course could turn valued clients into former clients. Oy...

Oh- that would male some sense to do the irrigation work. But, like Columbo..."One more thing..."

Has the resort or course begun to actually "Link" the businesses together as a partnership? Publicly, anyway... Or has the course opened more or less as a 'soft' opening to work out these particular issues? If it is a soft opening, then this is the EXACT time to let people know what is going on.

If it's a 'hard' opening, then someone, somewhere that was associated with The Resort dropped the ball. That is exactly the stuff you want taken care of BEFORE there is a link between them.

<shrug>

Honesty is always the answer.

Tell them its trash, and you want your money back, and a raise for having to be tied to that dump.

Oh- that would male some sense to do the irrigation work. But, like Columbo..."One more thing..."

Has the resort or course begun to actually "Link" the businesses together as a partnership? Publicly, anyway... Or has the course opened more or less as a 'soft' opening to work out these particular issues? If it is a soft opening, then this is the EXACT time to let people know what is going on.

If it's a 'hard' opening, then someone, somewhere that was associated with The Resort dropped the ball. That is exactly the stuff you want taken care of BEFORE there is a link between them.

<shrug>
No soft opening, and while the course's new name isn't tied to that of the Resort, the course's website presents it as a sub-brand of the Resort. And I agree--it would have been better to leave the branding as-is until the property was restored to a thriving, well-maintained course.

Back