NCAA Tournament Inequalities

It sure is...Including who it applies to. Doesn’t make it right, also equitable is not equal, but I understand those upset.

Absolutely agree it doesn't make it right. Again, I had two girls who played high school sports and the experience was definitely NOT what was intended by Title IX.

As far as the topic, it wouldn't have taken the NCAA much to add a few extra samples to the gift bags for the female athletes, and a decent weight room for the women's tournament. The fact that all they provided were yoga mats and a set of lightweight dumbbells would probably be looked upon as downright stereotyping if done by any other organization...

Absolutely agree it doesn't make it right. Again, I had two girls who played high school sports and the experience was definitely NOT what was intended by Title IX.

As far as the topic, it wouldn't have taken the NCAA much to add a few extra samples to the gift bags for the female athletes, and a decent weight room for the women's tournament. The fact that all they provided were yoga mats and a set of lightweight dumbbells would probably be looked upon as downright stereotyping if done by any other organization...
Very true. With that said those posting NCAA “must” because of Title IX are not correct.

I wish more things could be equal, including viewership and dollars. I do for other men’s sports vs basketball and football too. They arent. They won’t be either. Every athlete competing despite a poor gym, should use the system the same way the system is to them by getting that degree.

But I’m an enigma here because I believe college athletics cause more harm than good.

Eqxh athlete has had the opportunity to compete, have not bee

Absolutely agree that reading is fundamental...

Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 is a federal law that states: "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."

The NCAA doesn’t receive federal assistance, the member schools do...

The equality that is covered by Title IX (among other things) is the number of Men’s and Women’s sport programs that schools offer is equal. And schools have canceled many Men’s sports to get into compliance.

I have a reading suggestion...

25A9C98C-7D93-47DF-A0A4-793F401C8A7E.jpeg

Again, The second that CBS pays all member schools of a conference 43 million dollars annually for the rights to broadcast Women’s Basketball (Like they do for SEC Football) , the women’s facilities & events will be improved at those member schools.

If the NCAA received 850 million for the broadcast rights to the Women’s Tournament (like they do for the Men’s Tournament), the facilities would be way better.

To @JB’s point equitable is not equal, and my point is that economics isn’t always fair.

Absolutely agree that reading is fundamental...

Then, you need to read my previous posts in this thread. If you had, you would have read my prior posts that:

1. Acknowledged the NCAA is not subject to Title IX, a federal civil LAW...
2. Stated the NCAA deserves the beating they are taking only because they hold themselves out as a bastion of gender equity.
3. Pointed out the provision of yoga mats and light weights for the women's tournament was really poor form, and any entity that did same would be absolutely crucified on SM for stereotyping.
4. I also pointed out arguments regarding comparisons of professional male and female athletes have no place in this discussion. For the same reason, your suggested reading materials carry no weight in this discussion.

I got a good chuckle out of the suggestion of Sowell's book, though. On so many levels. LMFAO...

I know espn is trying to get us to watch women's sports. Every channel is a women sport. Ncaa tourney and lacrosse.

Not being a smartass but I wonder what the ratings are.....im guessing not very good. Why do you think espn shows it?

I watched some of the women's games yesterday. Uconn was a blowout. Some of the others not too competitive either. Games didn't have the same juice for me. One of the games-Lehigh vs. West Virginia looked like it was played in a high school gym. The players hustled and played with spirit but not the same for me.

The Title 9 argument is a literal truth but functional red-herring. Even though the NCAA isn’t obligated to provide comparable services under the Federal Law they are effectively obligated to do so by virtue of other things, like common sense and common decency. If this was intentional and done for economics reasons - and if that was a viable position - there would have been no acknowledgement that a mistake was made.

I know espn is trying to get us to watch women's sports. Every channel is a women sport. Ncaa tourney and lacrosse.

Not being a smartass but I wonder what the ratings are.....im guessing not very good. Why do you think espn shows it?
Women’s softball is among the fastest growing viewership and revenue sports for ESPN. (And I’ll be honest and say I find women’s hoops to be virtually unwatchable)

Last edited:
The Title 9 argument is a literal truth but functional red-herring. Even though the NCAA isn’t obligated to provide comparable services under the Federal Law they are effectively obligated to do so by virtue of other things, like common sense and common decency. If this was intentional and done for economics reasons - and if that was a viable position - there would have been no acknowledgement that a mistake was made.
I agree with this. My point earlier was those saying they have to because of Title 9. Right or wrong, that really isn’t the case.

Actually - we watch it quite often. It really is an attempt to have my girls see successful females play at higher levels. Lately, it's non-stop volleyball here with the LPGA mixed in with the PGA. And yes we go to WNBA games. We've been lucky to have the Lynx winning championships in MN (a few years back) and it was pretty good ball. Fundamentally better than the Wolves - but that's a different conversation for a different time - the games are just different styles.
It is awesome the we have such a good volleyball program at the U of Minnesota! Have been to a couple games and watch them regularly on Big Ten Network.

Props to @JDax for recommending Thomas Sowell. For my money, the most brilliant man in America. (Sowell, not @JDax, but the latter just moved up my list.)

Props to @JDax for recommending Thomas Sowell. For my money, the most brilliant man in America. (Sowell, not @JDax, but the latter just moved up my list.)
I would have recommended Friedman or Hayek, let’s be honest, that’s a little too much for some to comprehend.

I would have recommended Friedman or Hayek, let’s be honest, that’s a little too much for some to comprehend.

Ironic praise coming from me, but I have never found another writer who says as much, clearly, yet with so few words. And he's authoritative on so many subjects.

You knew this was coming

These are two tournaments in the same sport, run by the same governing body. It shouldn't have happened to the degree it happened.

The latest that blew my mind was the food. Dawn Staley, head coach of South Carolina women's team (and a great player back in the day) tweeted a pic of a "meal" in a heat and serve tray you'd see with a frozen dinner.

Lost respect for the UConn women’s team. Up 40 with 2 minutes to go and you have your starters in hoisting up 3’s.

Reactions: JB
Lost respect for the UConn women’s team. Up 40 with 2 minutes to go and you have your starters in hoisting up 3’s.
Why? This isn't a rec league everyone plays. This is college. It's even more disrespecting of the other team to "take" it easy. I've been on both sides of blow outs. If I was losing it made me feel even worse knowing a team wasn't trying.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Why? This isn't a rec league everyone plays. This is college. It's even more disrespecting of the other team to "take" it easy. I've been on both sides of blow outs. If I was losing it made me feel even worse knowing a team wasn't trying.
I've been on both sides of a blow out too, as a player and coach and it ain't fun. But C'mon, up 40 with 2 minutes to go and the starters are still in the game. Call of the dogs. How about rewarding the seniors on the bench, the backups, even the walk-ons if they have them with a little NCAA tournament playing time. They bust their ass every day in practice. Give them some March Madness experience that they can cherish.

Back