sparksjr

Reaction score
Handicap
Traveling
Played a course today I don't play often. Along one of the par 4's my ball found water in some sort of drainage area or something. Turns out it is drainage from a pond off site apparently controlled by this:

9c5d46bf7c0843c024f6b8fd0bda172f.jpg

It wasn't open but water was steadily running out and down between the two holes:

a4cdbd55338acc2e9b69688088aa9da4.jpg

All four of us discussed what this was. Standing water? A hazard? Dunno?

You might not be able to tell but none of it was marked. I am inclined to treat it as standing water? But it was running. And I also don't know all the rules.

So someone help me out here. What is the correct ruling?

I would say since it's not marked it's casual water. Ask the course they will tell you for sure and if there is a local rule about it or not

I would say since it's not marked it's casual water. Ask the course they will tell you for sure and if there is a local rule about it or not

I agree. Water hazards are marked with stakes.

Not a hazard so free drop

We treated it as a free drop so it sounds like we did it correctly. Good to know, although I probably won't be back to this crummy course for a while. Yikes

Thanks for the responses

I'd say standing / casual and a free drop. No markers/stakes = no penalty in my book.

Like everyone has said.

That's casual water. Free drop no closer to the hole.

I agree with the others, you should treat it as casual water since it isn't marked. Free drop with no penalty.

But could be a local rule that's different.

Back