99srxman

@srxman STAY LEFT!!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
24ish
Well here we go first a little back ground my dad had prostate cancer 8 yrs. back so I got the phone call to go in and get checked that was in my early 40's now 48 .Last week I was diagnosed with early the stages of prostate cancer
. Out of the 12 biopsy samples 2 came back positive with LESS than 5% so that is a good thing caught it early. So yes I know I need surgery. I have two options watch and wait or right to surgery I am leaning towards w/w where we would monitor the cancer I would go in every 3 months for a psa. and see were it is at since it is a SLOW growing cancer. Am I being stupid for thinking this way what are your opinions?? I just don't want to deal with this now at the beginning of summer and golf season would rather do it in late fall. My advice is any one has a family history or not GET IN GET CHECKED it is not that bad. I had to since it runs in the family.1 out of every 3 men will have to deal with this in there lifetime..

First, hate that you're dealing with this, but glad you caught it early and here's best wishes to hoping you defeat this quickly and long-term.

What do the doctor's recommend? I know from only 2 of the 12 samples coming back less than 5% positive, it's very early. I know if it were me, my initial thought would be like you... it's early, watch and wait, play golf through the summer and get surgery late fall. But I think the thought of cancer, and remembering how quickly it could spread, would make me go in now and get it taken care of for peace of mind. Better to sacrifice 1 summer for 50 more summers than enjoy 1 summer and potentially have future summers cut short.

Again, wishing you the best, quick recovery and long-term remission, in whichever path you choose.

Man. I have no real input for you. I am not that versed in cancer treatment.

My guy is telling me to go with the option that gets the cancer out of you the fastest.

Man I'm sorry you have to go through this. I've never been through this yet, but I'd get it the hell out of me as fast as I could, just knowing it was there would cause me more stress than I need. Good luck man.

With a strong history in my family and a wife in the business, I would say get it out as quickly as possible, whichever treatment that involves. Surgery, chemo, radiation etc. How many times have we been told (especially with prostate cancer) that early detection is the key to successful treatment and 100% recovery?

This is just my opinion, but you have been given the gift of an early diagnosis. We know that this devious disease is merciless. Good luck to you in whichever direction you go. I get checked every year for renal cell carcinoma. Runs in the family. Killed my dad at 39 and a half brother at 20. I guarantee you that if my Oncologist told me it was there, I would say lets go Right Now, period, end of story.

JM

Man, not a fun decision to have to make, but if it were me I'd get in and get it taken out. I'd hate to hear that it spread just because you wanted to golf more. At 48, you've got plenty of years of golf left, so worry about your health first.

Your doctor is probably the best source of information and action. Personally, I'd opt to get it out as quickly as possible, since I'd worry about it EVERY day until it was out, but each of us is different.

Good luck to you, and glad you caught it early.

Sorry you are having to deal with this but as most have said, get it out asap if that's what your doctor recommends. I lost my dad three years ago to it after a five year battle.

My thoughts on cancer in general is if it can be surgically removed relatively safely, then get it out. I am not well versed on the human side of medicine but see some form of cancer daily in dogs and cats and know when the cancer decides to it can go crazy.

I had a dog in the other day just not feeling well, having a few seizures. All tests came back normal. Came in 2 weeks later for a recheck and found a soccer ball sized tumor in him (surgically removed and doing well now).

So knowing what cancer/tumors can do in general, if it were me I would be on the first surgery table available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like others here am not well versed in cancer. But I'm the type of person to sit back and wait...Which has caused some big issues with medical things I've had going on. Probably would have been better if I attacked them when the symptoms first occurred. I say talk to your doctor and do a pro/con list. Really understand how life changing this is and take it head on. Good luck my friend! I'm hoping for nothing but the best for you.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Man. I have no real input for you. I am not that versed in cancer treatment.

My guy is telling me to go with the option that gets the cancer out of you the fastest.

Me and blu agreeing is becoming a real annoying habit! I would do WHATEVER your doctor advises. Missing out on a summer of golf is better than missing out of a lifetime of golf. I would want to get it gone.

Consult your oncologist and see what they recommend. Be real glad that you caught this early.

Need your help..

One thing, in particular, to know about prostrate cancer ... typical excision can result in impotency in a high number of cases*. There is however, a new robotic surgery which dramatically reduces those rates**.

*http://www.pcf.org/site/c.leJRIROrEpH/b.5822789/k.9652/Side_Effects.htm (first graph, erectile dysfunction panel, both conventional surgeries have about a 64% chance of significant erectile dysfunction complications).

**Your doctors experience with the surgery (any surgery for that matter) is important. How proficient is (s)he? This article does a good job explaining this: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120516152242.htm

Last edited:
My initial reaction is screw golf season, deal with this effing disease now. I don't hear a lot of stories about cancer going away on its own. That tells me we need to immediately start whatever treatment method our doctor recommends.

Update with the doc tomarrow thanks for all your imput...

Back