New from Seattle/Tacoma

Midway

Reaction score
I live midway between Seattle Tacoma and want to start improving my game and playing more. I am retired, approaching mid-sixties, and am now recovered from a hip replacement that kept me off golf courses for a number of years. Add a couple discs in my back that occasionally act up, torn right rotator cuff, similar issues with my left shoulder, and I’m in normal mid-sixties shape.

My goal is to get back to routinely shooting in the 80’s and not overwork, over-swing, and injure myself. I can get back in shape and none of my health niggles’ cause much discomfort in my swing. At a lean 6 foot, 195, I used to be much more flexible but 3 physical sports in high school and years as a scholarship wrestler in college and club teams after college have left a few battle scars.

I bought new clubs with stiff shafts in very early 2017, just before my hip went bone on bone. I’m concerned I no longer have the flexibility and swing speed for stiff shafts but I have a son eager to take them off my hands. I plan on taking some lessons and hope that will help determine whether I can enjoy playing with what I have or move to regular shafts. I realize changing shafts on my current clubs is an option but not one my son prefers.

Back when corporate golf was a thing, I played enough to shoot low to high 80’s, was able to play great courses and expense it in Ohio, Texas, Hawaii, a few other random states we would hold events at and of course throughout the PNW. Highlights included the World Series of Golf in Akron, Ohio where my company was the main sponsor. We would play a great course every day and then watch golf. I also had a client that belonged to Eugene Country Club and he would invite me to play in the member/guest tournament for a number of years. What a fantastic course. That was a couple decades ago though. Another "hobby" of mine was shooting professional sports and shooting the US Open at Chambers Bay was a bucket list experience.

I live right up the west hill from Riverbend Golf Course and driving range in Kent, WA. I’m not crazy about the course or the time it takes to play a round there but I have no excuse not to drop by to practice putting and chipping and buy a bucket of balls at the driving range a couple times or more a week.

Welcome to THP

Welcome! I'm just up a bit north, by Everett. Glad to have another PNW THPer around!!

Welcome to THP, enjoy the awesome community here!

Welcome!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to the forum.

Best of luck on your journey back.

Welcome to :thp:

Welcome to THP!

Welcome! I'm just up a bit north, by Everett. Glad to have another PNW THPer around!!
Sister and brother-in-law live in Everett - just recently moved to the other side of the Puget Sound on Mission Beach in Tulalip. Just played Everett C.C. And Battle Creek when I visited them in February

Welcome to THP!!

Welcome to THP!

:welcome:

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP. I hope you enjoy the forum.

Welcome to THP!

I'm still trying to figure out how to not "wrestle" through every shot... I still coach wrestling, and at 40 I'm working on getting into good enough shape to wrestle in some of the opens or old guy events. That's what I keep telling myself at least. 20-30 lbs to go, and a lot of conditioning :LOL:

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP from the East side of the state !

Welcome to THP.

Back