Newer Isn't Always Better

What the hell happened to my post here? 5 minutes ago.

I posted and it was gone. It wasn’t mean nor controversial. Much anyways.

Screw it. You come out this way @DG_1234 i wanna see that swing so round is on me.

We shall play for a drink, my standard bet.

What the hell happened to my post here? 5 minutes ago.

I posted and it was gone. It wasn’t mean nor controversial. Much anyways.
Did it actually post? I see nothing deleted.

Did it actually post? I see nothing deleted.

Dunno. I hit post reply, texted my GF, and it was gone when I came back. I didn’t think someone in a mod role here did it, it wasn’t mean in any way, I just had thought I posted something and it never showed up.

No biggie. Wonder of the internet.

Dunno. I hit post reply, texted my GF, and it was gone when I came back. I didn’t think someone in a mod role here did it, it wasn’t mean in any way, I just had thought I posted something and it never showed up.

Not in this thread, but I had a post that I hit submit on and it weirdly didn't post. Just had to post it again. Those vacuum tubes sucking up my post.

that has happened to me once or twice. All the sad feels haha

that has happened to me once or twice. All the sad feels haha

Haha. It was a long well written (I used spellcheck 6-7 times, lol) response.

😂

I've had posts do that too. Nothing evil going on, just an occasional glitch in the system.

All that tradition. :ROFLMAO:

I mean, Hogan, Palmer and Nicklaus won with them, so how bad can they be??? </s>
I don't want it to be like that. @DG_1234 routinely posts about older equipment with the implication that the older equipment is better for better golf than newer equipment, especially with less than good players. I am just asking him what about older equipment is better for improvement than new equipment. I am just asking for some support for that statement, especially since older equipment is cheaper than new equipment. A used set of Wilson Staff Tour Blades are a whole lot cheaper than the Apex Pros I just bought.

I've had posts do that too. Nothing evil going on, just an occasional glitch in the system.

Nah, didn’t think so. But I’m not usually without a point that I’ll emphasize 36 different ways. So there was some time and effort there, lol.

I don't want it to be like that. @DG_1234 routinely posts about older equipment with the implication that the older equipment is better for better golf than newer equipment, especially with less than good players. I am just asking him what about older equipment is better for improvement than new equipment. I am just asking for some support for that statement, especially since older equipment is cheaper than new equipment.

I love older equipment that suits me, because it’s cheaper.

I love that aspect of it and if it fits my swing, it doesn’t matter the age (in reason) if it fits my swing.

If I’m playing a tight long links course I’ll throw in the original GBB at 10* as it’s a great FW now. It’s almost exactly the same size as my current FW and 2* less loft. No problem with a decent lie. Low runners going left to right from the deck. Can’t hate that on links.

But to say older is better? Hmmm. I can get that it does benefit ones game. I can get familiarity. But do I think that older tech is better? No. Not at all. But close enough is close enough for me. Some of the longest drives I ever hit were with a TP R15 430 at 5.5*. Just dead straight missiles.

But forgiveness? Give me something else.

I love older equipment that suits me, because it’s cheaper.

I love that aspect of it and if it fits my swing, it doesn’t matter the age (in reason) if it fits my swing.

If I’m playing a tight long links course I’ll throw in the original GBB at 10* as it’s a great FW now. It’s almost exactly the same size as my current FW and 2* less loft. No problem with a decent lie. Low runners going left to right from the deck. Can’t hate that on links.

But to say older is better? Hmmm. I can get that it does benefit ones game. I can get familiarity. But do I think that older tech is better? No. Not at all. But close enough is close enough for me. Some of the longest drives I ever hit were with a TP R15 430 at 5.5*. Just dead straight missiles.

But forgiveness? Give me something else.
That's not what @DG_1234 is not saying though. The discussion is not "there is still some good older equipment." Nobody is saying there is not good older equipment. The claim is that OLD equipment, from decades ago, leads to better golf. I am asking DG to support that with the "why" and the "how."

I just want to be clear, I am not saying DG is wrong.

That's not what @DG_1234 is not saying though. The discussion is not "there is still some good older equipment." Nobody is saying there is not good older equipment. The claim is that OLD equipment, from decades ago, leads to better golf. I am asking DG to support that with the "why" and the "how."

I just want to be clear, I am not saying DG is wrong.

Please do not misquote me. I've suggested that players consider trying clubs different from the current standard head sizes., For example some players might find they get consistently better tee shot results from a 350CC or 400CC driver than they do a 460CC size driver. And some players might find they get consistently better shot results from a relatively small size iron head compared to modern over size iron heads.
I encourage players to consider trying smaller head sizes and expect that some might find a benefit. I never said (or implied) that every player would benefit. You've written that you tried smaller and prefer the larger heads, which is fine. Perhaps 80% of players would reach the same conclusion as you did. But if 20% of players might find more consistently solid shots with a smaller head size driver, or find it easier to square up at impact a smaller size iron head, then it's worth suggesting players try for themselves and make their own decision.

Please do not misquote me. I've suggested that players consider trying clubs different from the current standard head sizes., For example some players might find they get consistently better tee shot results from a 350CC or 400CC driver than they do a 460CC size driver. And some players might find they get consistently better shot results from a relatively small size iron head compared to modern over size iron heads.
I encourage players to consider trying smaller head sizes and expect that some might find a benefit. I never said (or implied) that every player would benefit. You've written that you tried smaller and prefer the larger heads, which is fine. Perhaps 80% of players would reach the same conclusion as you did. But if 20% of players might find more consistently solid shots with a smaller head size driver, or find it easier to square up at impact a smaller size iron head, then it's worth suggesting players try for themselves and make their own decision.

That’s written much better. I can mostly agree with that.

Clearly Bryson doesn't think so either :ROFLMAO:

Probably got scooped up by the NSA by mistake, lol.

On another note, I have absolutely nothing against new equipment. I like new equipment (who doesn't, really?), however sometimes newer simply isn't better. If I find something that has a real WOW! factor, I will purchase it, but if it doesn't I will simply stick with what I have.

Because I do not know, I wasn't a golfer back in the early 2000s. What is there about a <400cc driver, I just had to look up drivers that were smaller than 400cc, that would lead to more consistent drives than a driver from the past 5 years?

Clearly Bryson doesn't think so either :ROFLMAO:

He didn’t trade so much up in equipment as he invested in himself and a new way of thinking.

I think that's why I still have that 983E in my signature. I have newer drivers than that one in the stash (460CC and so on), but that small 350cc head is something I think I really like. The GD shaft in that particular head just seemed to really fit my swing, and I could work it left or right if I wanted or needed to back when I was still playing. I have hit some monsters with that driver, 300+ (though that was rare).

Speaking of smaller drivers...You remember when that "mini driver" trend became the rage there for a little while? Your post brings me back. :)

Probably got scooped up by the NSA by mistake, lol.

On another note, I have absolutely nothing against new equipment. I like new equipment (who doesn't, really?), however sometimes newer simply isn't better. If I find something that has a real WOW! factor, I will purchase it, but if it doesn't I will simply stick with what I have.

Haha.

Says the guy that just re-shafted, lmao.

It’s not a total re-do but it’s close enough:)

Haha.

Says the guy that just re-shafted, lmao.

It’s not a total re-do but it’s close enough:)
Well, that was out of necessity. I am 65 now, and my CHS is better suited for senior flex...I re-shafted the driver and woods, and the results have been positive.

I had a set of those MC’s for maybe two months, bought them used in mint shape but the shaft was not good fit. Ending up selling them for more than I paid and think upgraded to the TM RSi2. I liked the industrial look.

Stenson has broken out his Diablo 3W again for the Valero.

I actually have that 3W, but I don't think I was crazy about the shaft I put in mine. But I still have it out there - only bought it because the Iceman hit his so freakin' long. It's a nice wood and proven, so I might just have to take it to the range again soon.

Dust off the wallet, get yourself a set of clubs you can play well with. Life’s too short.

I had thought about what you said and...you are right. I played with these 845s for like 8 years (in my best years) and I thought they were all that, through my best golfing years too. The second I put my VIPs in my bag I noticed I was hitting a lot more greens and hunting pins more frequently. Had a spent the money back in the day and put those V-Foils in my bag, I am certain I would have shot even lower - would have had better rounds than I did back then. I always regret that.

The truth is I wouldn't be opposed to upgrading (I actually have like a half dozen sets of personal irons and a garage full of every kind of club - but it's mostly older stuff) but I will never switch out of the V-Foils. I would be more focused on tweaking everything else except my irons and putter (wedges, woods and driver). Some day if/when I start playing again I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Last edited:
Back