News: Ben Hogan Golf Closing Doors

I hate to hear this, because I know it's going to cause hardship for those employees. Hope they land on their feet.

Man this sucks. I am still playing the PTx Pros, and was just looking at their site last week to order a new set but got the website message posted earlier. It’s a darn shame because their products are better than what they get credit for.

Hate to see this happen to the brand.

Man this sucks. I am still playing the PTx Pros, and was just looking at their site last week to order a new set but got the website message posted earlier. It’s a darn shame because their products are better than what they get credit for.

Yeah, I probably would have picked up a few things if I knew this was happening.
Wonder what happens to the dead stock remaining

As some further background on the recent history of Ben Hogan Golf, it was part of Top Flight when that company was acquired by Callaway golf in 2003. It is this acquisition which got Cally into the golf ball business as it included the Chicopee, MA plant where their balls are made. IIRC, they operated Hogan for a few years before finally shutting it down, retaining certain names (Apex, SureOut, etc). The assets were later (2013 or so) acquired by a group which included Terry Koehler and went back into production. After a reshuffling in 2014-2015 which included Koehler leaving the company (he has since started Edison Wedges) they have been operating in the current model. Sad to see a brand with this pedigree bounce around so much.

Truly a shame, still keep going back to my og PTx as my primary gamers. I guess Sub70 and New Level are the leaders in the DTC space and kicked Hogan out. Also makes you wonder if a equipment only business for a DTC model will survive through business cycles or do you need to build up a more "consumable" type of product range as well (ball, clothing).

Sad development for sure. I've always respected the brand. We'll see if any of the big names sees enough potential there to make an investment in acquiring the brand. I hope if they do return they'll be available at the retail level. I could see Dick's making room for them in their lineup as a premium alternative to Tommy Armour.

I have no experience with their clubs but always stinks for the employees and having one less company to talk about online

Never want to hear of someone closing. They made a decent product.

That's a real bummer. I've never played their stuff but enjoy the classic designs.

They were the cleanest looking DTC brand. I was impressed with their offerings. Interestingly I have seen more Ben hogan on the course this past year than ever. I figured we were due for some new releases not closed doors.

Sad to hear. I liked what they were doing and their clubs had that classic look and were reviewed positively.

Annmnnnf this is why I basically never bought back in. Closed, open, closed, open, closed.....I just can't buy into a brand as unstable as Hogan has been.

they seemed like they had it figured out in the last cycle for a while.....I'd be utterly shocked if they ever opened back up again. Hopefully, the talent that worked there land somewhere else within the golf industry. Seemed like they had some good folks....

bummer, but not surprised.

Any time a company goes down, it’s a bummer. I’m sure the supply issues hitting every other company hits the smaller ones even harder :/

In early 2017 the Company filed Ch11 in the Northern District of Texas. I just did an internet search and could not find anything about them ever emerging. Among the things I did in my commercial banking and equipment financing career was workouts, mainly dealing with bankruptcies. If the turnaround is not successful, eventually the Judge will likely order the company closed and liquidated for the benefit of its creditors.

That stinks. It seemed like they were doing well and finding a niche.

Wow, that's a surprise. Here's hoping the affected employees can find work sooner than later - thankfully jobs are plentiful (if they have the skills - though possibly not in golf). Hope they considering a restructure or some way to make yet another comeback - vice selling the name off to some group that is unaware of how much the Hogan name means.

This really sucks to hear. Quality products at a very good price…not sure what else they are supposed to do

Maybe Edel can put some of those people to work. Seems as if they are growing at tremendous rate.

Major bummer. To be honest I'm not sure if this latest version of BHG was even the same as the one I visited back in 2016, but they offered quality product at a fraction of the price.

Unfortunately the golf industry is just as much about marketing as it is about actually making a better product.

That sucks. I’ll be watching to see if remaining stock goes on sale. I wouldn’t mind having a set of the Equalizer 2 wedges.

As would I. After I saw this news, I immediately went to their website in hopes they were clearing remaining stock. I pretty much have or had everything else they carried but the Equalizer 2s.

As would I. After I saw this news, I immediately went to their website in hopes they were clearing remaining stock. I pretty much have or had everything else they carried but the Equalizer 2s.

I was going to look for their putters. I want a blade again and have heard amazing things about their putters.

Man. This is a huge bummer. I was just thinking about my old ptx pros yesterday. I regret getting rid if them. Criminally underrated.

Back