News: Ben Hogan Golf Closing Doors

So... what does that mean for resale? Can I make a killing selling my Edge GS's and first year Hogan Blacks? OR do they become $1 a club thrift store items?

Seriously, though... Something must be up- when Golf itself is still in a somewhat of a "Boom" phase, but people are looking to save a bit at the same time. It looked like the perfect conditions for growth, or at least a decent, steady market share. Production problems? Logistics? Bad bookkeeping? Be interesting to find out the bottom line and actual reasons instead of guessing from 'interested parties'...

Sad news. I had two sets from hogan over the years. 1 pre fist closing and my games now. Two of my favorite sets of all time.

From what I read it looks like they relied heavily on a big investor and obviously the Perry Ellis licensing deal to use the Ben Hogan name. Seems like it was a disaster waiting to happen unfortunately.

Last edited:
Seems the news yesterday and today is that Ben Hogan golf has closed its doors. Not sure how true this is, but it does seem to be the case. I was just chatting with their guys last week and all seemed ok. This makes me sad considering I love their clubs. :(

I hate to point this out.. but BH survived as a company until you took them all out of your bag. :unsure:
But they are in my bag so they are in good hands.

I wish I still had my PTx irons

Still have a 45 year old # forty seven 58* wedge in my bag, it's magic at times. Hit PC Apex irons in the mid 80s. Back then they were the irons to have, they shouted out PLAYER.
Shame.:(:cry:

From what I read it looks like they relied heavily on a big investor
That's what I've seen, as well. The primary investor is in bankruptcy. Without adequate funding for new products and all that is required to bring them to market, there isn't much of a path forward, despite the clubs having an increasing market share and the company apparently being profitable.

I wouldn’t mind grabbing an UiHi and a TX grind wedge to hang on to.

The MGS post has some good info in it and explains the situation pretty well. Perry Ellis not renewing the licensure of the Hogan name was the final nail...

The MGS article was enlightening as Perry Ellis was the major creditor listed in the 2017 Ch11. Without a license, the Company can't use the Ben Hogan name. Looks like any liquidation of inventory will require the cooperation of Perry Ellis.

Wow! Sad to hear this!

The MGS article was enlightening as Perry Ellis was the major creditor listed in the 2017 Ch11. Without a license, the Company can't use the Ben Hogan name. Looks like any liquidation of inventory will require the cooperation of Perry Ellis.

It’s a long shot but theoretically a new investor could scoop up the operations and renegotiate with / repay Perry Ellis to revive the brand. But the economics would have to work which is tough in this market.

Saw this yesterday but man, this is a bummer to hear!

Unless Perry Ellis does get someone to build clubs for them or allows someone to use the name its game over for BH. :(

@JB Is there any intellectual property/r&d for BH that others may want? I know you have said that a lot of the DTC brands are buying blanks but it seems like there was a bit more possibly to BH clubs.

Regrettably, this seems like the last dance. From a business point of view, you just have to winder whether in 2022 the licensing cost of the Ben Hogan brand name has any more intrinsic value than just spending that money and building a brand name and IP that is owned by the investor. In other words, it seems to reason that no matter how successful BHG became, the cost of just staying in business with the licensing would have significantly hindered it regardless.

It's a shame because the BHG equipment is damn good. I would like to see those models emerge under a different brand name and see if they catch on in the DTC market with a revised business model.

026B14F0-5925-40BD-B664-5CBA74DB8A60.jpeg8FECD2CF-6C24-42F9-895B-098F470BF8B6.jpeg

Messed up my post, but you don’t sell the steak, you sell the sizzle.

Anyway.

I think everyone wants to be an Instagram flat brim extreme energy drink sucking down bad ass frat boy these days. Times have changed.

Last edited:
It is interesting reading that last year was their best. They were poised for some great things I think and funding for in the way it sounds like.

As mentioned in some posts I have been a BH wedge player for several years now. Any ideas on who might be making wedges similar to the BH equalizer wedges? Thanks.

Unless Perry Ellis does get someone to build clubs for them or allows someone to use the name its game over for BH. :(

Unless Perry Ellis gets an offer for the brand and sells it lock, stock, and barrel, so to speak. I doubt anyone will build Hogan equipment under license after what took place in Ft Worth. Buying the works still seems like a potential opportunity for DSG/GG.

Regrettably, this seems like the last dance. From a business point of view, you just have to winder whether in 2022 the licensing cost of the Ben Hogan brand name has any more intrinsic value than just spending that money and building a brand name and IP that is owned by the investor. In other words, it seems to reason that no matter how successful BHG became, the cost of just staying in business with the licensing would have significantly hindered it regardless.

It's a shame because the BHG equipment is damn good. I would like to see those models emerge under a different brand name and see if they catch on in the DTC market with a revised business model.

Complete shot in the dark here, but hear me out…

We know CostCo senior executives are golf fans. They’ve built and marketed clubs and balls under the KSig house brand, both garnering decent reviews and some “cult” following.

CostCo is also a company with deep enough pockets, and they’re not a private equity fund that has to meet minimum ROI. I can see them buying up the remains of BHG and its IP/R&D know how, and launch a broader set of golf equipment products. Though the branding on the clubs will likely be KSig as opposed to Ben Hogan given 1) licensing issues and 2) CostCo’s MO of putting everything under the KSig brand regardless of product.

Unless Perry Ellis gets an offer for the brand and sells it lock, stock, and barrel, so to speak. I doubt anyone will build Hogan equipment under license after what took place in Ft Worth. Still seems like a potential opportunity for DSG/GG.
That would be the best bet GG/DSG or PGA SS buying it out and making it their own. DSG/GG having Ben Hogan would be 3 or 4 inhouse brands at that point and I don't know if they want that. They have Tommy Armour, Maxfli, and Topflite.

Back