NFL Running Backs- do they have a point?

The best RB in the NFL plays for a team with the worst OL in the league by a huge margin.

Josh Jacobs?

I’d still say Nick Chubb is the second best RB in the league.

Curious who you put in those buckets
It’s Derrick Henry and everybody else and there isn’t a GM in the league that would say there is a worse OL than TN

It’s Derrick Henry and everybody else and there isn’t a GM in the league that would say there is a worse OL than TN

Ah. I misread your initial statement. I thought it said the second best RB in the league.

Yeah. What King Henry has done is damn impressive.

Just seems a supply and demand thing. I don’t see owners/GMs colluding to keep those prices down. The vast majority of them look for any edge possible to try to win.

Sucks to not get paid your perceived value but if those doing the paying don’t see it, then it’s just your perceived value, not your real value.

Exactly, this isn't a malicious thing. Anyone who has watched football the last 15 years knows you can replace almost any running back with equal value on a cheap contract.

There's 30 teams competing with each other and they all feel this way basically. At the end of the there's probably truth there

Ah. I didn’t realize their line was that bad.

Last two seasons with the Bengals winning I’m not convinced I’m following the same league as everyone else. Bengals and winning doesn’t exist in my experience 😂

Ah. I didn’t realize their line was that bad.

Last two seasons with the Bengals winning I’m not convinced I’m following the same league as everyone else. Bengals and winning doesn’t exist in my experience 😂
Oh it’s an absolute disaster. One PFF expert called said “if every line is ranked here, TN is way down here”. It was a visual, but you get where it was going. Absolutely the worst by a huge margin.

Oh it’s an absolute disaster. One PFF expert called said “if every line is ranked here, TN is way down here”. It was a visual, but you get where it was going. Absolutely the worst by a huge margin.
All the more impressive to see what Henry does then

PFF certainly does hate every bit of that offensive line.

Players always call it a business, but then they forget the most important part of negotiating, leverage.
RB have little to no leverage in the NFL right now. There are tons of RBs and little demand.
A guy like Jacobs had 11mil guaranteed on the table and turned it down. Some reports are saying Raiders offered him 3 years 32 mil with 21 guaranteed (basically what he would have got on 2 years of the tag). Not smart to leave that kind of guaranteed money on the table as a RB today.

Off topic, but man, the titans are one of those sneaky teams that are so close... you have to think with an OL and better receivers (just picked up NUK) that they could win the AFC south again. It seems like people forget 2020 and 2021 now that JAX had a great year... did their window close?

Off topic, but man, the titans are one of those sneaky teams that are so close... you have to think with an OL and better receivers (just picked up NUK) that they could win the AFC south again. It seems like people forget 2020 and 2021 now that JAX had a great year... did their window close?
They had one of the best receivers in the league. It was a shame the Titans couldn't keep that core together.

They had one of the best receivers in the league. It was a shame the Titans couldn't keep that core together.

I agree, and my point was when they had Brown they won the AFC south, last year they lacked a WR1 and their line was a train wreck. I'm unsure Skoronski is the guy, but at least they addressed both needs.

Take an exceptional RB, pair them with a terrible OLine, and are they still exceptional?
But if you take a decent lower tier RB, and pair them with a good OLine, that talent is amplified.

Maybe you ought to ask Barry Sanders!
"Decent" covers a lot of ground.
A decent RB will get the 4,5, or 7 yards the oline will get him but a great RB might get 20 or go all the way!

But, the NFL has certainly devalued RBs.

It is interesting to see the replies.

What had happened is the market had devalued the position. Replacements can give most of the production at a fraction of the price. Many industries have experienced this. AI is about to impact a lot of jobs that never dreamed of it.

The hard part about running back, as many have said, is they are hamstrung by the negotiated CBA so that their most productive years are on a (relatively) cheap rookie deal.

It’ll be interesting to see if elite athletes start moving away from the position in HS. You usually stick your best athlete at RB in peewee. But if your son is a potential NFL talent, so you push him toward another position in football.

I’d like to see the next CBA address the RB and QB position.

The union needs to push for both to impact the salary cap differently. RB should be able to opt out of their deal if they real certain performance benchmarks. Create true market value for the position.

I’d like to see the QBs impact the salary cap differently. If the NFL insists on just paying every QB a higher contract than the last, it makes teams go bargain basement to get under the cap. There is no middle class for a lot of positions. It pushes vets to cheap deals or out of the league and early.

It benefits the Union to have more highly paid players across the roster. It benefits the owners to field more competitively balanced teams.

It’s a shame but in a business where the life spam is short backs are even shorter based a productivity. I follow Carolina. They are a good example. Most of the time both CMC and Cam were here the line was terrible. Cam got hit more than any QB but two. Invest in a good line and backs last a bit longer but they wear out from overuse. I think they are paid fairly.

It seems like the late 90s and early 2000s were a great time to be a RB with guys like Eddie George, LT, the Bus, Curtis Martin, etc. Then Brady and the Pats brought a little west coast offense back and the RBs were more of just another piece and a receiving option.

Last few years with some prolific running backs, I think some teams went back to the lead dog model. Thinking of like Henry with the Titans, and others. Some success with multiple RB for the Lions, Pats, and Cowboys. I think the two back system like the Cowboys had is a great idea to minimize wear and tear. Bigger goaline and short yardage guy and a smaller quick back.

Rb's are definitely underpaid for the abuse they get put through. There are some studs out there like Henry, ekeler, McCaffrey, Barkley and Jacob's but most seem to be easily replaced.

Henry is the best running back but not the best all around back. His lack in the passing game shows that but he is very durable and punishes defenses. Top 10 all around back but not #1.

I've got no horse in this race, but as fan, for me there is no better thrill than to watch a running back break a long run,

That's all I got.

With all the current disgruntled RBs, where do you stand on their contract situations?
With how short their careers can be, the physical tool that the game takes on them and the fact that the rule that protect quarterbacks and the passing game; I dont blame them for wanting their money and being unhappy.
Im a Wisconsin fan, so I love me a good running back (and a good fullback, for that matter) but much of the league moved on from old school football a long time ago and now the game is all about spreading the field, putting the ball in the air and explosive plays; which tend to leave running backs as an afterthought.
I mean, you know things have changed when even Wisconsin is moving on from the ground and pound game.

I think Todd Gurley broke the RB market.
Owners are reluctant of guaranteed $ on a high risk of injury position.

It sucks for top tier RBs of course.
The Giants would be pathetic if Saquon didn't sign IMO.
For him to be on a 1 year 11 mill (with non reachable incentives 12 mill) compared to Daniels Jones 40 mill is a joke.
But it's a QB driven league and finding a franchise one is not easy.

For him to be on a 1 year 11 mill (with non reachable incentives 12 mill) compared to Daniels Jones 40 mill is a joke.

That's where I feel for Barkley and Jonathan Taylor. You're one of the best players at your position on a trash franchise. You generate most of the offense and see guys who are mediocre at their position getting paid way more.

If I was Barkley, I'd tweak something early in the season and shut it down. If the market isn't going to value you, at least go to team that's competitive.

That's where I feel for Barkley and Jonathan Taylor. You're one of the best players at your position on a trash franchise. You generate most of the offense and see guys who are mediocre at their position getting paid way more.

If I was Barkley, I'd tweak something early in the season and shut it down. If the market isn't going to value you, at least go to team that's competitive.
Which running backs are getting paid "way more"?

Which running backs are getting paid "way more"?

I worded that poorly. Players who are mediocre at their position, like a Daniel Jones, getting paid with a larger contract.

Hard to give a guy a long term big money deal when in five years in the NFL he has missed more games than he has played due to injury I believe.

I worded that poorly. Players who are mediocre at their position, like a Daniel Jones, getting paid with a larger contract.

But by comparison, Barkley is getting paid more than the world's best ping pong player. 11M or whatever he was offered would be one of the top 2-3 earners on the PGA tour also. Different sports, but QB is a different position than RB and the value is different as you obviously know as your first post made a lot of excellent points

I agree with your original post in that the problem with RBs is some elements of the CBA. A guy like Pacheco in KC is already 24-25 and on a rookie deal, he can be franchised etc...By the time he's eligible to be a UFA he's already on the downside of his career age-wise. So he'll have no opportunity to even try to negotiate something.

I could see stuff like that changing. But teams shouldn't just pay RBs out of the goodness of their hearts. As has been said, it's likely elite athletes will just stop playing the position

Back