Nike Vapor Speed Driver - Preview Thread

I did a search and didn't find any topics about this driver though I did read the review. So I was lucky enough to score Nike employee store passes for yesterday and in a whim picked up a Vapor Speed driver with the Fubuki shaft in regular flex. I have always played stiff flex and at times x flex. I wasn't too concerned about the shaft. Anyway I took it to the range tonight and was pleasantly surprised by my results. This club comes with the flexloft 2 adapter which gives 5 loft setting 8.5°-12.5° in 1° increments. It also has a separate ring for neutral draw or fade bias. Overall 15 launch combinations. I started at 10.5° neutral, was hitting a high draw. Then for curiosity sake moved to 11.5°, which I got some inconsistent flights with. So I went down to 9.5° and boom I was set.

I didn't have the advantage of any kind of LM and lighting was bad to tell carry at the range. But I could tell trajectory and flight shape. This club launches high... but it's a comfortable penetrating seeming flight compared to a ball hanging. I was getting a very consistent mild draw. Now I am not the most consistent driver of the ball that for me is mostly a mental focus issue so I did have some mishits, which really is where I felt this club shined for me. With my Cobra Amp Cell I have been gaming a hit on the heel or toe would really make the club head crank. The VS was completely different the amount of twisting of the head was minimal which started the ball on a better line off the face to begin with then the gear effect would keep this much more in play. I definitely had a couple brain lapses which resulted in my typical disaster shot but that was user error.

All in all 1st impression was very good. I am looking forward to getting this club on the course. I will be changing the grip asap though, I am not a fan of the glossy tour wrap style grip.

Just wondering if anyone else has any input on this Driver?
I was fitted for one at the beginning of summer and it's a great club. Mine is a stiff shaft set at 9.5 although I'm experimenting at 10.5 at the minute. I agree about the off-centre hits,it doesn't "jar" after a heel shot like others i have tried. Those beams behind the cavity really seem to work to stabilise the club. The sound is also awesome on a centre strike!

Back