Nike Vapor Speed Driver - Preview Thread

Feel bad I've neglected updates on this one as I work on its review as well...so many drivers, so little time. LOL

I'm having a lot of fun with this one, aesthetically I prefer the Vapor Pro, but the edge on launch and forgiveness definitely goes here to the Vapor Speed. In fact, hitting it next to the 815 Alpha and J815 I'm also reviewing/reviewed there is a crap ton of similarities there. This and the J815 are almost interchangable at the moment.

Fantastic sound through the entire Vapor driver lineup, I have zero issues saying that, Nike absolutely nailed it there. Solid, solid, solid, is what I get at impact acoustically. Launch here is a good bit higher than the Vapor Pro, as it should be, and the elongated mass of the head on this one really seems to lend itself though that perimeter weight to positively effect the MOI and retention of ball speed on misses. Its the most forgiving head of the line, and the highest launching, while it maintains a good low-mid spin. Its no surprise we are seeing some like Watney actually playing this on one on tour. Distance is right there with other clubs I've tested this year, and even with a slightly lower launch it hangs with the 815 Alpha.

I will say (and if you look up you will see) that this one next to the Vapor Pro is pretty crazy to see and think they are both 460cc heads.

Its a very complete line from Nike in the drivers, I'm not afraid to say that. I know some love them, some loathe them, that is clear, but this is a VERY good evolution for Nike and easily the most complete driver line they have put out. There is literally a head that will fit the gamut of needs in golfers from spin and launch.

Last edited:
Fantastic thoughts James. With the success I've had elsewhere in the Vapor lineup I've been thinking about the Speed driver.

As you know, I struggled a bit with the Flex driver from a forgiveness perspective so really curious to learn how this one compares against both the Flex and BB 815.

Fantastic thoughts James. With the success I've had elsewhere in the Vapor lineup I've been thinking about the Speed driver.

As you know, I struggled a bit with the Flex driver from a forgiveness perspective so really curious to learn how this one compares against both the Flex and BB 815.

I'll have it with me when I come down, and three shaft options for you to try. I'll bring the Pro again too.

This ones similar to me to the 815 Alpha and both of those are opposite end of the spectrum from the Vapor Flex, I think the Vapor Pro is much more akin the 815 DBD as well. Cool as hell to see two lines that cover the gamut so well though. I've yet to find anything out there 815 Alpha forgiving, it sort of mentally ruins the gains other drivers/lines/companies have made, its something I really have to differentiate when I review clubs now...the 815 will spoil you on misses. The Vapor Pro held better retention than the Covert 2.0's did for me by a large margin, but this one just does so better than the Vapor Pro, and no surprise given the weighting differences. You'd enjoy this one, IMO. And the fact that you can gear it down to 8.5 is a bonus for you as well.

I spent some time with the Speed the other day when I was testing out drivers - mostly comparing it to the XR, but hit a few other drivers as well. I was really impressed. To me, this is taking what I thought was a good, but not great driver (Covert 1.0), and really refining it into a something that's much more of a complete package. Sound and stability were the things that really stood out as night and day different between the Covert and Vapor for me. I think the Fubuki Z is a nice pairing for the head as well.

And I think FlexLoft is the best adapter design out there.

I spent some time with the Speed the other day when I was testing out drivers - mostly comparing it to the XR, but hit a few other drivers as well. I was really impressed. To me, this is taking what I thought was a good, but not great driver (Covert 1.0), and really refining it into a something that's much more of a complete package. Sound and stability were the things that really stood out as night and day different between the Covert and Vapor for me. I think the Fubuki Z is a nice pairing for the head as well.

And I think FlexLoft is the best adapter design out there.

I agree 100%, and it was a major focus in this line and I think its paid off. The sound has surprised a LOT of Covert 1.0/2.0 players who I have let hit the Vapor Pro and Vapor Speed.

Looking forward to hitting these again at my fitting soon at the Nike/Callaway performance centre.

I may have missed it but moving on from the Bio Cell and this really has my eye. I feel like this might just be for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Review for this one went to editor Hawk yesterday and should be up soon.

It'll spin less than the Bio, I do however see a touch more relaunch out of it though. Additionally, there is real forgiveness in a Nike driver this go around, its extremely stable.

Review for this one went to editor Hawk yesterday and should be up soon.

It'll spin less than the Bio, I do however see a touch more relaunch out of it though. Additionally, there is real forgiveness in a Nike driver this go around, its extremely stable.

Dumb question but relaunch? I could use a little less spin.

Dumb question but relaunch? I could use a little less spin.

Launch. Typo. Screaming baby, my bad.

Sure did. Perfect for Night Golf with a glow in the dark driver.

Wow anybody see the new ones with the Volt crown?

http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/golf/

saw some in person the other night. Not sure if it's true or not, but the volt color on the crown looked a little softer to me than the volt color on the sole of the other drivers. Could have just been the lighting. But it seemed a little different. I didn't hate it, but I didn't exactly like it either.

Vapor Speed - Homer Edition

saw some in person the other night. Not sure if it's true or not, but the volt color on the crown looked a little softer to me than the volt color on the sole of the other drivers. Could have just been the lighting. But it seemed a little different. I didn't hate it, but I didn't exactly like it either.

I kind of like it, but it's not something I'd spend $50 more on.

I have a lime green Bio Cell but Volt takes it to another level.

I agree, it didn't seem as bright as the bottom, but to many almost as offensive to the eye...

I like it..
I'll be waiting for a used one this winter though.

I wonder if continental could match the color since they didn't do anything for lefties on this

Nike Vapor Speed Driver

Nike Vapor Speed Driver

I did a search and didn't find any topics about this driver though I did read the review. So I was lucky enough to score Nike employee store passes for yesterday and in a whim picked up a Vapor Speed driver with the Fubuki shaft in regular flex. I have always played stiff flex and at times x flex. I wasn't too concerned about the shaft. Anyway I took it to the range tonight and was pleasantly surprised by my results. This club comes with the flexloft 2 adapter which gives 5 loft setting 8.5°-12.5° in 1° increments. It also has a separate ring for neutral draw or fade bias. Overall 15 launch combinations. I started at 10.5° neutral, was hitting a high draw. Then for curiosity sake moved to 11.5°, which I got some inconsistent flights with. So I went down to 9.5° and boom I was set.

I didn't have the advantage of any kind of LM and lighting was bad to tell carry at the range. But I could tell trajectory and flight shape. This club launches high... but it's a comfortable penetrating seeming flight compared to a ball hanging. I was getting a very consistent mild draw. Now I am not the most consistent driver of the ball that for me is mostly a mental focus issue so I did have some mishits, which really is where I felt this club shined for me. With my Cobra Amp Cell I have been gaming a hit on the heel or toe would really make the club head crank. The VS was completely different the amount of twisting of the head was minimal which started the ball on a better line off the face to begin with then the gear effect would keep this much more in play. I definitely had a couple brain lapses which resulted in my typical disaster shot but that was user error.

All in all 1st impression was very good. I am looking forward to getting this club on the course. I will be changing the grip asap though, I am not a fan of the glossy tour wrap style grip.

Just wondering if anyone else has any input on this Driver?

Back