Nippon modus 3 130 vs kbs tour v golf iron shafts

Finally got this in the Srixon z545 8 iron this week. First time out with it was pretty good--feel is a bit smoother than the s400 so far. I really enjoyed the ball flight on it into the wind. Just need more time with it to see if its worth the swap.

I actually ended up hard stepping into callaway prototypes. It is super stiff by measuring cpm. 310 on my 5i which flexes out to an astonishing 8.4! Interestingly enough when hitting them it does not "feel" too stiff. Has to be due to the softer tip. I may end up pulling them and going straight in (my reasoning behind hard stepping first since it can be butt trimmed if i eant to go straight in). Time will tell

I am liking the this shaft in my 8 iron a ton--honestly the big difference for me is that I can fly the ball a bit higher when I need to--and I apparently need this on some of my tree lined courses! I am not loosing distance into the wind like I thought I would, so I think I am going to pull the trigger on the set.

I am liking the this shaft in my 8 iron a ton--honestly the big difference for me is that I can fly the ball a bit higher when I need to--and I apparently need this on some of my tree lined courses! I am not loosing distance into the wind like I thought I would, so I think I am going to pull the trigger on the set.

Nippon Modus 3's in the Srixon's? Drooooooooool.

Nippon Modus 3's in the Srixon's? Drooooooooool.

Seems like they were meant for each other right? Japanese craftsmanship at its finest!

So far this has been a great pairing Nippon Modus 3 130 and Srixon Z545. I do love the feel on these and the higher flight versus the s400. I need more time to make a performance judgment, but I hope to put in some good rounds next weekend with the set.

Can't wait for the update on how these are performing. Debating between s/x flex in modus 130's in the Z545's. Favorite shaft has been x100, although it's starting to feel as if it's a little work to swing and if I'm off a bit, it feels like I have to really go after it. Have been trying kbs tour in x, only issue is the lighter swingweight. When i'm not on my game I have serious dispersion issues, same with kbs in s flex.

Can't wait for the update on how these are performing. Debating between s/x flex in modus 130's in the Z545's. Favorite shaft has been x100, although it's starting to feel as if it's a little work to swing and if I'm off a bit, it feels like I have to really go after it. Have been trying kbs tour in x, only issue is the lighter swingweight. When i'm not on my game I have serious dispersion issues, same with kbs in s flex.
Personally i am gaming the 130 stiff hard stepped once. I used to game dg x100 and kbs tour 130 x. Nippons are so butt and middle stiff its working out well for me. Fyi my 5 iron is 310 cpm, flexing out to 8.4. Plays a bit softer than that due to soft tip so no worry

Personally i am gaming the 130 stiff hard stepped once. I used to game dg x100 and kbs tour 130 x. Nippons are so butt and middle stiff its working out well for me. Fyi my 5 iron is 310 cpm, flexing out to 8.4. Plays a bit softer than that due to soft tip so no worry

I like a little flex in my butt and mid section. Maybe that's why I couldn't feel my hands after? JK...I don't have such an aggressive backswing so those two things don't feel right to me. When you explained the difference it made sense and is a good fit for you.

I do love this shaft in the z545. I can't answer what stiffness would be right for you, but the stiff flex is perfect for me. I can fly the ball high when I need to but it is still under control and does not balloon. My latest swing work has been about smoothing out my swing and tempo, and this combo gives me the perfect distance control with what feels to me like a steady swing. Add to that a wonderful soft feel in comparison to other shafts I have played. I don't have any trackman or launch monitor numbers to compare--just a great weekend with some solid shots that make me overall very happy with the purchase. For me this combo is about the heavier overall weight with the smooth feel.

I'm interested to try the new Modus 125's and have someone compare them to the Tour V. Nippon Japan site says they are a blend of the 120 and 130 profiles but actually slightly heavier than the 130's.

Its been a while now hitting the Modud 3 130 Stiffs in my Ping S55 3-PW , Ping Tour S 50*. What I am finding is the spine placement is the key to getting the correct flex and FLO

I am finding these shafts have one S1, one N1 180* apart

My 50 Tour S Wedge is bombing a super high baby draw and stops in its own divot...its my birdie machine. I have this N1 to target and decent FLO there D3
8,9,PW are all set up N1 to target and are all hitting lovely high penetrating shots and are very happy, they feel very smooth
6 & 7 irons felt a tad soft N1 to target so I put S1 at 6 o clock to help with toe droop, the twanged for FLO and got that at about 7 o clock, this put N1 at 12 so down the line the orentation was side on to the spine which firmed them up just right.

The 5i I was drawing/hooking so I set S1 to target, to calm the tip and its working very well with 1 deg weaker to get the ball up more

3i & 4i shaft just felt firmer, so I set N1 to target to get a bit more flex/tip action and then again 1 deg weak 4i , 2 deg weak 3i as I like a high 3i to land on greens at 205-215y

So mark your shafts S1, N1 before install, and test them out. I can confirm 8i-GW wall work well N1 to target

Of course get FLO as your #1 objective...you will find it on several sides of this great shaft, If not buy another individual shaft, as you are focusing a lot of shot outcome on a very small lower tip area of the shaft...rather than the whole profile of say a DG, so manufacturing tolerances have to be near perfect in this one area, hence spining/pureing/FLO help 'a lot' in the load / unload of the tip section. So build them then tweak the orientations individually later.

In my game I have been going at more remote, difficult pin placements confidently as the ball is less than a foot away from the divot! I have been hitting more greens and holding them, and my missises are the first cut or very close rough. I know 'you know' your DG carry, but can you calculate the feet of roll on a flatter decent angle?...NO!

Actually I have been taking lessons on very short greenside shots, like the Texas Toe Shot, Putting with a 9i leading edge above the equator of the ball @ first cut & tiny chip flop shots (face wide open front foot chip stroke) in close green side rough. Some I have holed out...Thanks Modus 3 130's!!!

Modus 3 130's are not for everyone, but they sure tame a loader/hitter with stability in the butt and mid sections nicely.

Last edited:
I still have no idea what youre talking about regarding S1, N1, FLO and spining, but glad everything is working out for you.

My Modus 3's are installed from the factory and have been working great.

I still have no idea what youre talking about regarding S1, N1, FLO and spining, but glad everything is working out for you.

+1

a lot of tech talk goes way over my head but that is in Goodyear blimp territory

S1 = the shaft spine, or the strongest side of the shaft, that resists deflection/shaft load
N1 or NBT: Netural Balance Point, this is the softer side of the shaft
FLO is to twang the shaft which is clamped at the butt end and obtain 'Flat Line Oscillation' were its not oval-ling clockwise or counter clockwise...or at random, but 'flat line' to the target

Just installed the Modus 3 130 stiff wedge shaft in my Ping Tour S 54* /12. Buzzed a C grind and strengthened the loft 1* for my local tight lies, and reduced the Ping wedge weight a tad.

Anyways the the Modus is 'Perfect'...just like my 50* & PW, I feel this shaft is the perfect wedge shaft, its soft yet awesome control, high flight drop n stop.
My first shot was downwind 102y, not knowing the distance yet with this set up, I over shot the green...well I thought this in flight, it hits the first cut in the rear and stays there in its own divot!...resulting in a 2 putt par. My previous shaft was a fav DGS300 that I had 'for years' head to head it went. Now I think it felt dead, plus it sure would not have held that green. Now in South Fla we are heading into dry season were everything on the course firms up, and Modus 3 is the traj to hold greens

I am also finding the Modus is more 'lively' on pitches and chips, the initial ball speed seems faster. My pro said (hitting my 6i/s55 on the range) the ball just 'rockets' off the face.
The wedge feel is very smooth and nice, like there is less nerves or anticipation 'about the feel' of impact that I had from DGS300 for this one club. Just as I come into impact there is confident feeling that I am going to contact well, as the feeling is more pleasing like their is a shock dampening insert in the shaft. Chip n Pitches are all confidence to keep accelerating into the shot and 'staying in it' with a can do attitude, especially from tight lies, any slight nerviousness / anxiousness coming into the ball is just like the putting yips. Well the smooth feel sure helps this!

I have been playing the 130 stiff for some time now and feel they are getting softer in flex ???, initially they were stiffer, shots were dead straight on a rope, then after a lot of play they feel quite smooth. Now I am seeing a lot of high draws / pulls. I thought this but then dismissed it. Upon buying the 3i shaft I knew it was too stiff and bumped up my loft to get my launch up, now the shaft feels softer and the straight shot is now a big draw/hook etc.

I know most of you cant believe this, however Nippon Corp have a special metal. This metal I have in my swift springs (nippon corp made) in my Cayenne...well the springs have been settling lower and getting softer also, I have wound my coil overs up 4 times 1 thread over a year. My wife would tell me the dash looked lower, upon measuring the wheels well clearance she was right. Ok this is golf but its the same metal Nippon Corporation use in shafts.

I am bailing out of these Modus 3 130 stiffs (version 1...not the newer spot heat treated 125 Tours) for Super Peening Blues X straight in first, then to a soft step probably...I just dont want to chop them, and will SS first. This is prob my best choice for a butt firm shaft, as I am not going back to Dynamic Gold S300 as they are too butt soft, and X100's are a tad stiff...plus they all feel dead!

I am keeping my modus wedge shafts as these are high dart throwers that land and stop in their on divots!, the shafts being shorter with less parallel tip section seem to be holding up nice, actually they work great as I like 'softer feel' wedges shafts PW/50/54 (spinner in my 58*)

Perhaps this shaft suits a aggressive slicer/cut/fader, or I should have bought the X flex...however reviews said they were telephone poles...well perhaps at first!

I have been building clubs shafts for 20+ years...I feel there is a break in period with this metal.

Its getting windy here in south Fla and I need straighter flight. I am a inside out swinger, play a draw shot but I know when enough is enough. Lately I have been accelerating through impact fast to get clear past the ball to reduce the left...its working but I feel I need a higher bend point. Also the S55 head has a good bit toe weight adding to the problem. In my old Hogan 99 Apex blades these would work better.

I am interested in the new modus model with the heat temper/treatment firming up certain points of the shaft...and feel they may have 'firmed up' load points in the shaft...but for now the SPB is my next choice for a hitter/loader swing I have. My other choice is to tip them 1/4 to 1/2 and tone down the tip a tad, or cryo freeze them to a harder stiffness, but I did this with some S400 Ti's and killed them (too stiff)...even soft stepping them did not quite work enough

Last edited:
I have been playing the 130 stiff for some time now and feel they are getting softer in flex ???, initially they were stiffer, shots were dead straight on a rope, then after a lot of play they feel quite smooth. Now I am seeing a lot of high draws / pulls. I thought this but then dismissed it. Upon buying the 3i shaft I knew it was too stiff and bumped up my loft to get my launch up, now the shaft feels softer and the straight shot is now a big draw/hook etc.

I know most of you cant believe this, however Nippon Corp have a special metal. This metal I have in my swift springs (nippon corp made) in my Cayenne...well the springs have been settling lower and getting softer also, I have wound my coil overs up 4 times 1 thread over a year. My wife would tell me the dash looked lower, upon measuring the wheels well clearance she was right. Ok this is golf but its the same metal Nippon Corporation use in shafts.

I am bailing out of these Modus 3 130 stiffs (version 1...not the newer spot heat treated 125 Tours) for Super Peening Blues X straight in first, then to a soft step probably...I just dont want to chop them, and will SS first. This is prob my best choice for a butt firm shaft, as I am not going back to Dynamic Gold S300 as they are too butt soft, and X100's are a tad stiff...plus they all feel dead!

I am keeping my modus wedge shafts as these are high dart throwers that land and stop in their on divots!, the shafts being shorter with less parallel tip section seem to be holding up nice, actually they work great as I like 'softer feel' wedges shafts PW/50/54 (spinner in my 58*)

Perhaps this shaft suits a aggressive slicer/cut/fader, or I should have bought the X flex...however reviews said they were telephone poles...well perhaps at first!

I have been building clubs shafts for 20+ years...I feel there is a break in period with this metal.

Its getting windy here in south Fla and I need straighter flight. I am a inside out swinger, play a draw shot but I know when enough is enough. Lately I have been accelerating through impact fast to get clear past the ball to reduce the left...its working but I feel I need a higher bend point. Also the S55 head has a good bit toe weight adding to the problem. In my old Hogan 99 Apex blades these would work better.

I am interested in the new modus model with the heat temper/treatment firming up certain points of the shaft...and feel they may have 'firmed up' load points in the shaft...but for now the SPB is my next choice for a hitter/loader swing I have. My other choice is to tip them 1/4 to 1/2 and tone down the tip a tad, or cryo freeze them to a harder stiffness, but I did this with some S400 Ti's and killed them (too stiff)...even soft stepping them did not quite work enough

I just read the whole thread and will admit that the techno talk exceeds anything I was aware of in a golf shaft. I am familiar with fishing rod blanks and building them so i can appreciate what you are saying. What I am uneasy with is that you are saying you "wore" the shaft out, so to speak, in four months? and you seem to be okay with that.

I have never heard of needing to break shafts in or shafts wearing down.

I dont think I wore the shaft out...I correct myself if I said that...I just feel they are playing softer, were in the profile I don't know, but I suspect the tip section, as there is a big step down there. When I roll them in twin sets ball bearings the shaft tips are 'slightly bent', however this happens with most shafts near the tip

Today I pulled the Modus 3 130 Stiffs except 7i ...to go back to my previous set of KBS Tour V 120 x soft stepped that I had in. These are all marked for the exact same orientation in the same heads. Off to the range I go and see if these fly straighter. These are what I pulled before going the the Modus 3 130 stiffs. I played them in the inter-club competition this summer for a while, so I have a good memory of shots, birdies flights etc. My lie angles are all checked ...the same as previous.

Going from the Tour V's to Modus at first my dispersion was tighter with Modus...so going back to Tour V's will be a good comparison/test before I settle on my iron shafts

Last edited:
Back from the range... The KBS Tour V 120 x ss 1x were a stiffer and giving me straighter shots. The 5 i was bullet straight, 6 slight draw, 7 is still the Modus 3 130 stiff was drawing...or to be correct hooking 10-20, 8i was slight draw.

All kbs tour v 120's had far better dispersion due to flex being stiffer for 'my swing'. I know a x ss 1 x is a profile that is stronger than a stiff, however the modus did break in softer...how...ask nippon. I would consider the modus 3 130 stiffs playing to a firm (R+) and suit a fader slicer who needs a higher trajectory, or a smaller head / blade iron set up that has very little offset

I really wanted to buy Modus 3 130 x flex but was put off by advise they were 'very stout' , as I have posted the Modus stiffs were 'amazing' at first, yes they did soften up, break in or whatever...during this swap from KBS Tour V's to Modus my Pro would watch my swing at the range to also comment on flights getting worse (left), we even worked on more handle fwd at set up and a slightly more upright swing plane to negate left field. I have hit a lot of set ups over the years and know how to adjust my swing, have a pvc swing ring in the yard and know how to swing upright, flat etc...I should have bailed on the Modus a month earlier with the hookity results.

At this point I am not sure if I will stay with the Tour V's, but was impressed with the new orientation of the 5i and will game them for a bit to see if i can tweak them better. They feel solid smooth, every shaft is different and re-installing them results in slightly different flights, so I will re-set them a few times before I 'may' move to SPB's

There are reason why Nippon have improved the modus 3 130 to the new profile 'Tour 125' with heat treatment strengthening the steel at 'certain' points for a reason. So don't be put of with my experience, just get the new improved model, that i am NOT talking about here

Here is some info on the new improved model avail from pro builders and the public soon...
Nippon NS Modus3 System3 Tour 125 Steel Shaft is the latest in steel shaft technology. It was created with the input of tour professionals. The System3 Tour 125 features a new Multi Heat Treatment (MHT) technology and an enhanced overall stability. It allows harder hitters to experience a strong ball flight without sacrificing control.
Features and Technology
- High grade steel material found in all Nippon Shafts.
- MHT technology allows for optimal hardness in each area of the shaft to create reliable, consistent performance.
- Stable weighting (128g) preferred by tour professionals.
- Lowered torque and enhanced tip and butt sections for added stability at impact.
- Strong launch right at impact and extended carry distance for a soft landing to attack the flag.
- .355 Taper Tip

ModusSystem.jpg

I can also say KBS have improved the Tour V 120 to KBS Tour V 125 S+ Limited Edition Taper Tip .355 Iron Shafts, These are a heavier, limited edition release of the new KBS Tour V 120 shafts that KBS released this year. The 125 are avail in a Stiff + flex, heavier version of the KBS Tour V that some of PGA Tour pros are using. do look at these!

Last edited:
I don't get it. A few months ago the Modus was so much better than any other shaft. Now they make you hook the ball? Makes me think it's the Indian and not the arrow.

Yes your right the Modus was better at first, more solid under load and straighter flight...that went away, now the orig KBS feel firmer that I came from...the Modus did get softer in the tips... I can alter my swing...even swing plane slightly to flights shots from certain lies, I know how to adjust with any shaft new set up ...I consider it metal fatigue in critical points of the tip/shaft, there is only one point were this shaft kicks, this is were some of the tips bent from. I will look through my folder of cpm notes to confirm...

Last edited:
Metal fatigue? I wonder how often the guys on tour have their iron shafts changed out due to this...

Shafts bend, tips get weak, and Tour Pros after a certain time have to re-calibrate loft n lie...I dont have a answer for why Nippon shaft metal softens up, but they did introduce shot peening to stop this, now heat treatments to the newer modus tour 125 ....wonder why? (I call it metal fatigue if that the right terminology), or call it bent tips, soft points in the steps...I don't know...

I suggest the newer model Modus Tour 125 improved shaft

Last edited:
Back