Nippon modus 3 130 vs kbs tour v golf iron shafts

I have reached out to Nippon about this as well as two other steel shaft companies for their input. In the short amount of time of these posts, I would not expect this to take place and want to hear straight from R&D about their thoughts.

I have reached out to Nippon about this as well as two other steel shaft companies for their input. In the short amount of time of these posts, I would not expect this to take place and want to hear straight from R&D about their thoughts.

I was just thinking "whiskey tango foxtrot".. interested in what you hear. My 130's are holding up fine, but I am just a hacker with a relatively average swing speed.

Metal fatigue? I wonder how often the guys on tour have their iron shafts changed out due to this...

I was just thinking "whiskey tango foxtrot".. interested in what you hear. My 130's are holding up fine, but I am just a hacker with a relatively average swing speed.

I have info from some including some of the best shaft experts in the industry including Kim Braly himself about this. Waiting on one more (with Nippon) before putting the info out there. Not sure what to make of this one personally, but once I have all of the info I will make it readable and share it with those that are looking for info.

I still have the Modus 3 130 stiffs in my PW, 50, 54, and like them a lot for high approach shots, the flex is soft, smooth and very friendly. I re-installed my KBS tour v 120 x ss1x and am doing better with dispersion 'a lot' in my longer irons, these are what I pulled before the Modus 3 130 stiffs

I have in stock one more Modus 3 130 wedge shaft, that I install in my 9i. At first its a board, very solid knock at impact, (Yes this is a hard step). I decide to keep it installed as I 'know' it will get softer, I will say its stiffer feel than the same wedge shafts in my PW, 50, 54

Now after 2-3 weeks of gaming it ...its softened up, or the rigidness at impact is gone and the whole profile feels smoother. It works very well as it has 'little' parallel tip section, and is giving me high straight drop n stop

I expect it to get smoother yet with more play

I commented on this thread a while ago in reference to the OP's bizarre points of emphasis, then forgot about it. Catching up, his thread is the strangest "review" of a golf shaft I have ever read. It's more like an infomercial for something, I just can't figure out what (conspiracy theory about OEM's peddling equipment with sabotaged shafts? anti- some OEM? pro spine alignment? metal fatiguing in an accelerated amount of time?). As for the review, the only information I can take from this thread about the Nippon shafts comes from anyone other than the OP who has contributed.

I think the problem was a shaft design fault in the original Modus 3 130, they have corrected this with the new system 3 model and have heat treated the tip section

MHT) = Multi Heat Treatment, by controlling the strong heat levels in certain areas they are able to control the hardness of the steel where it's needed.

Communicating with a Japan Modus fitter this was his reply about the new system3:

[h=3]Yes the 130 is the highest launching of all the Modus3 shafts even though it is the heaviest.

The 125 is the most accurate, straightest, and has a stiffer tip and butt section so that should help a lot sir.

It will play stiffer and straighter and feel heavier in the head area than the 130.
[/h]

I think the problem was a shaft design fault in the original Modus 3 130, they have corrected this with the new system 3 model and have heat treated the tip section

MHT) = Multi Heat Treatment, by controlling the strong heat levels in certain areas they are able to control the hardness of the steel where it's needed.

Communicating with a Japan Modus fitter this was his reply about the new system3:

Yes the 130 is the highest launching of all the Modus3 shafts even though it is the heaviest.

The 125 is the most accurate, straightest, and has a stiffer tip and butt section so that should help a lot sir.

It will play stiffer and straighter and feel heavier in the head area than the 130.

You should ask him about Metal fatigue and why it impacted your shafts so quickly.
Im hearing very different things than what you posted about in regards to that and waiting on one more (from Nippon) to put it all together.

Looking forward to reading what you put together, JB.

And if this metal fatigue is a real thing, why don't shaft companies use it as a marketing bullet point?

Got the final piece of the puzzle and will put it together soon.
To say most of the manufacturers disagree with this would be an understatement and have some serious tour usage to back it up.

Really looking forward to the findings JB. Love getting info straight from the shaft companies.

Really looking forward to the findings JB. Love getting info straight from the shaft companies.

There's nothing like info FROM the people who MAKE the shafts.

I am looking forward to the info JB has put together. While I had never heard of the situation described in all of my years in the game, I always like hearing about all aspects of equipment.

Will this info be included in this thread or another? Looking forward to it!

Will this info be included in this thread or another? Looking forward to it!
Most likely this one. Getting Legacy off the ground today with new contests has put it behind by a day or two, but it's coming.

I am really looking forward to your comments and findings, JB, and also curious to hear the OP's thoughts on them as well.

Metal Fatigue was my 'guess' use of words for the reason the shafts after some time played softer/broke in , yes they did get softer in feel, rather quickly actually...weather there was fatigue I don't know, only lab testing could tell by the grain. there is a big step down at the last step with these shafts.
Nippon Corporation make a different metal that is softer than other shaft companies who manufacturer a 'harder steel'. I believe an 'independent' analysis of this would not be biased...I don't believe harder steel shafts have had this happen in a short period of time, but we all know after a short time all shafts bend, and more from the tips. Try pulling yours and roll them, you might be surprised!, if not you will see your lofts change. Have you ever snapped a iron off at the hosel?...or wiggled a nail/screw till it snaps

Any updates? Thanks. Still interested in the responses from the people at Nippon, as I am extremely interested in the shafts for future consideration.

The THP TV interview made me remember this thread again. JB - I'm guessing you've been swamped, so I definitely don't mean to pester, but are you still planning to let us know what the manufacturers had to say when you have a chance?

The THP TV interview made me remember this thread again. JB - I'm guessing you've been swamped, so I definitely don't mean to pester, but are you still planning to let us know what the manufacturers had to say when you have a chance?
Yes sir. The nuts and bolts of it were as expected.

I am thinking of putting these in a set of callaway legacy black irons.....I normally play s300 or px 6.0..... Was thinking stiff soft stepped or regular hard stepped.......Any suggestions?

Have you tried them as is?

Back