No More 18 Hole Playoff at US Open

just watched a video with Mike Davis on twitter, and he says that fans want a winner to be crowned on Sunday. I hope they get a weather delay and run in to Monday golf this year haha
I feel like the logistics maybe could've been altered on the front end of the tournament as opposed to the back to make this happen. Or maybe not, but going from 18 to 2 just tells me they didn't think this through entirely.

I'll agree with the majority - 2 holes is dumb, should be 3 or 4 atleast

I hate this.

#TheDeanHasSpoken

I agree it was great that this was the last major to keep it. I remember following TW win over Rocco so much fun

Not a fan of this at all

I don't mind them going away from the 18 hole playoff, but I'd much rather watch sudden death playoff than aggregate. It may sound odd, but if they're going to do the aggregate they might as well leave it 18 and get more drama over the 18 holes than in the 2.

This is awful, like way worse than 18 and still worse than 4 holes or sudden death. Lame

I like the idea of 3 holes, a par 3, par 4, and par 5. Shouldn't be too hard to plot out on nearly any course.

Wow! That’s quite a change. I used to think the 18 hole playoff was the biggest anti climax ever so I’m glad to see the back of it. I would have preferred they follow the R&A example and gone to a 5 hole playoff though. I think the majors are too big to be decided over 1 or 2 holes.

#FiberLaunch

Seems pretty dumb to me. If they would just take care of the slow play to begin with they wouldn't need to change anything.

I don't like the decision, but I can see how the networks can influence this change.

If you're going to shorten the playoff, then imo the British Open has it right with a 4 hole playoff. Why not copy that model?

Awful decision, I always liked the fact that Our Nation's National Championship was decided by an 18 hole playoff, if it wasn't decided at the end of 72 holes. It was part of what made the US Open unique, I disagree with this change, and why just 2 holes? I guess it was for TV, but still, I don't have to like it...

In favor of the decision. Logistical nightmares are never a good thing.

It’s only a logistical night, if they fail to be prepared. Having volunteered at 8 different U.S Opens. There is a contingency plan in place from the USGA stand point, and it’s volunteer force. Sounds like the fox watching the hen house isn’t prepared with a contingency plan. It’s not like this was something new, in the history of the US Open there have been 33 Playoff or something like that. We’ve been 10years without one.

Lame. I liked the 18 hole playoff idea.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Lame. I liked the 18 hole playoff idea.

Got in here late but agreed with this.

It made the USOpen Unique. Just like how the other 3 are different in their own way. Tiger-Rocco was epic but I really hope television didn't play a part in this decision.

2 hole aggregate is flat out stupid.

Got in here late but agreed with this.

It made the USOpen Unique. Just like how the other 3 are different in their own way. Tiger-Rocco was epic but I really hope television didn't play a part in this decision.

2 hole aggregate is flat out stupid.
The problem is that we're all still going to watch it and pay attention to it even though it's only two holes. I like the 18-hole thing because it's Unique. It's something different something cool. and it's part of History which is pretty neat as well. But they make the decisions based on whatever Financial conditions are out there and obviously I'm sure TV had a say in that

I don't like it either. But I suppose it could be worse. Like a practice green putting contest to determine the winner, or some such nonsense.

Not a fan. Should have at least made it 4-6 holes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This one surprised me because I didn't think it was broke. It's our national championship, I think it should be unique and the hardest test in golf.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

This is truly upsetting, and I just don’t understand what they were possibly trying to accomplish??

last person to win the 18 hole playoff?

Tiger Woods

Back