No More 18 Hole Playoff at US Open

That makes it even worse, cause it took them HOW long to come up with that? Hey guys! Hardest test of golf, let’s make a tiebreaker take TWO holes to decide a winner!

Might as well make it a par 3, and a 520 hard par 4 just to really make it exciting.

that could very well be it this year, 17 is a par 3.

Is there any organization that makes more consistently bad decisions than the USGA?

Once again, the USGA making bone-headed moves. This all boils down to money. TV time is valuable, and viewership on a Monday for 18 hole playoffs are low.

This is a very good point and probably 100% correct.

that could very well be it this year, 17 is a par 3.

Totally gonna be that. God damn it USGA, you can't do anything right.

This is a very good point and probably 100% correct.

Having worked in television and movies for most of my life, I have learned that, in the TV world, programs are looked at (by the networks) as filler between commercials, and nothing more.

Did they give a reason for the drastic change? USGA continues to butcher any decision that comes along. I stopped giving them money three years ago and others should also. Their envelopes go directly into the trash.

I understand wanting to move away from the 18 hole playoff, but to reduce it to 2 holes? This is the US Open. Part of what the guys are thinking about down the stretch is playing to avoid that 18 hole playoff the next day because 72 holes beats them up enough already. Its fine for regular tour events, but the US open shouldn't be decided by sudden death play, which this has almost become. Next thing you know they'll be playing closest to the pin to decide majors...

Why does it have to be the same every year? The course changes, why can't the playoff rules change to highlight the courses best features? Maybe the best 3 to 6 hole stretch on the course gets the playoff.

IMO a 3 hole playoff consisting of a Par 3-4-5 would've been a better option, BUT you run into the possible problem of course layouts/logistics to play a Par 3-4-5. The 2 hole playoff is just an odd decision, but hey, it's the USGA…….

Did they give a reason for the drastic change? USGA continues to butcher any decision that comes along. I stopped giving them money three years ago and others should also. Their envelopes go directly into the trash.

just watched a video with Mike Davis on twitter, and he says that fans want a winner to be crowned on Sunday. I hope they get a weather delay and run in to Monday golf this year haha

I would have preferred sudden death instead of this.

The more I think about this, the bigger joke it is to me.

General consensus: Ruined one of the best and most unique playoffs out there [for a major, no less] for a terrible new 2 hole aggregate system with the reasoning that is shallow and smells of having a lot to do with money.

USGA, why are you so bad???

just watched a video with Mike Davis on twitter, and he says that fans want a winner to be crowned on Sunday. I hope they get a weather delay and run in to Monday golf every year after this haha

FIFY. Free golf on Monday, gotta love it!

just watched a video with Mike Davis on twitter, and he says that fans want a winner to be crowned on Sunday. I hope they get a weather delay and run in to Monday golf this year haha

I haven't seen the public outcry for this. I have for slow play, but not for a Sunday US Open finisher.

The USGA needs to be burnt to the ground. What a complete joke of an organization.

Makes you wonder who comes up with these ideas.

What's the point? Given how long the rounds last these days they may not be able to get 2 holes of extra golf in on Sunday. In which case they are coming back Monday anyway.

Seems pretty lame. TV $ vs. tradition?

Not a fan of that decision.... I'm sure it all has to do with $.
I don't feel it's a good decision for US Open Golf, however...

In favor of the decision. Logistical nightmares are never a good thing.

This is an awful decision.... the 2008 show down between Rocco and TW was one of the most intense finishes to a US open ever. Way to mess with history!

Now if we can switch the OOB rule to a hazard rule and enforce a pace of play shot clock, that MIGHT make up for this....

In favor of the decision. Logistical nightmares are never a good thing.

it's not like these nightmares come out of nowhere though. The US Open just thrown together with no backup plans if something goes wrong. Heck look at Bethpage in 2009. Stuff happens whether it's an 18 hole playoff, or weather forces a Monday finish. Plan for it and hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, roll with it. It can't possibly be THAT much of a nightmare when they know well in advanced that it's a possibility. Now fast forward a year, and if they have to do that 2 hole playoff on a Monday, I bet that becomes more of a nightmare because it won't be as planned out.

Back