Noise in Backswing

Doesn't bother me. Of course I'm about half deaf at this point so <shrug>.

I don't care much about noise or movements during my swing. Not a big deal. Can't control my playing partners... only thing I can control is how I handle distractions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always joke that I'm not good enough to distract but I feel it's true. Noise doesn't really bother me, unless like you said it's sudden. If it's quiet and then all of sudden I could see it being an issue.

Well I tend to swing shortly after I tee it up ... seems like a long time to me ... but everyone says I am really fast ... so I am used to noise.

The only thing that starts to bother me is people that will not shut up in the box on every hole ... the other one is, people that pull right up in your wheelhouse on a slow day, and start chatting it up in the cart ... that one pisses me off quick.

I think most people just don't know better, especially in a casual round. There are better ways to get under someone's skin. I once asked a friend, "Do you inhale or exhale on your backswing?"

This is something I struggle with around the greens, to be honest. I get so focused on looking at my situation that I become oblivious to other people in the group. If I'm in their sight line, I try to get out of their way quietly. I will almost always tell my group to feel free to tell me when something I do is bothering them. It is unintentional and I will not be offended. It's surprising how often that simple statement can change the whole dynamic in the group. The thing I have to think about is waiting to rip my glove Velcro until after someone has putted. Fortunately, my usual group is unfazed.

A good friend of mine does basically the same thing. I'll be in my downswing and I'll hear his clubs get put in his bag or if he is to the side of me he'll wait until I'm in my downswing and starts walking and I pick him up in my perifial vision.
I've chunked or hit a lot of bad shots because of him.
Most times its to the point where I yell at him with a few choice words and replay the shot.
After 30 years of being friends he doesn't take offense at the words I yell at him. He just smiles and plays dumb.

That ******* rooster at Tot Hill Farm!

I can basically ignore everything with few exceptions. One would be when someone pulls up to the tee box in full on 'let's insert swear words in normal conversation' mode. Along that same idea, I once could not hold it together when live guns n roses came on for music, which was lead off with some rather ridiculous swearing. It's all in good fun, but I learned that I am not immune to all noise.

But people talking and messing around in their bags, I guess I've been around it enough to just ignore it.

~Rock

Noise during the back swing (or any time) does not bother me. Of course, I'm deaf in my right ear so I don't hear anything happening behind or to the right of me anyway. LMAO, maybe I'm lucky after all!

The only thing that might make me flinch is a loud bang or yell in the middle of my swing. Lower volume stuff doesn't seem to affect me much. I think I'm pretty good at filtering out noise.

Noise in my backswing doesnt bother me. Talking, coughing, people digging for stuff in their bag. Its all good.

not in the slightest. I have the ability to tune out pretty much anything, except the most annoying sound in the world from the movie Dumb and Dumber.

Typically it doesn't bother me, but intentional club chatter like you mentioned, that might.

In case its been mentioned forgive me for not reading the whole thread. JB I know how you can get even. You need to take a leak in the woods a couple times and then simply give him a great big handshake after the round :alien:

I no longer play with people like that. However, my buddies have been known to be talking while I'm swinging and I've found myself joining the conversation while swinging.

It's just priorities. My friends are more important than the golf. And them being so busy makes them catch up on things while I'm swinging. No big deal.

Back