Noise in Backswing

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Im fortunate enough that very few things bother me on the course. Most of the time noise does not really get to me, but I played with someone recently that drove me mad! Every time I was in the middle of my swing, he would slam his clubs in his bag. It was as if he was waiting to time it right. I had not encountered it before, and the sudden clang of irons banging drove me nuts.

Have you ever had this happen?

Depends what the noise is? I grew up playing a course that had a few holes next to a road, so you get used to cars driving by or beeping mid swing. Also one where a train would come through and blow it's whistle. For me, any kind of expected noise, I'm ok with. But there are times where he smallest rustle or chatter bothers me.

not that i noticed. i don't seem to be bothered by noise during the swing, i can mishit thru anything. honestly, and it seems i am the minority, i never really got the "quiet" thing

Yes there are a good number of people I encounter that do this. Part of it they always say is because of how quick I play.

The first time you do it sure I can see that but after that they need to be more aware.

As long as a noise is going on before I start it doesn't bother me but sudden noise when in my backswing happens it absolutely bothers me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yes I have and it stinks. I mean why is he in his while your hitting and why do they need to be slammed. If the noise is there before I swing, I can deal but not when it's quiet and all of sudden, clang clang

• Admin
Yes there are a good number of people I encounter that do this. Part of it they always say is because of how quick I play.

You know what, I never thought of that, but I bet that is part of the problem. Most of the time noise doesnt bother me at all, but for some reason this drove me nuts. I think maybe its a sign to wait for clubs to be put away before I take it back.

The first time you do it sure I can see that but after that they need to be more aware.

As long as a noise is going on before I start it doesn't bother me but sudden noise when in my backswing happens it absolutely bothers me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This is pretty much my answer, noise that starts before my swing is fine, but mid swing sucks.

And I frequently hear "oh I'm sorry man, didn't expect you to be swinging already"

I agree as sudden unexpected noise does bother me. Constant barrage of minimal decibels can help me focus more though.

as long as I know it is happening nothing really bothers me, cart driving by, pics being taken, people talking, non of that bothers me, but when it is in the middle of my swing and sudden, it can draw a nasty look from me...lol...real mean Maddog701

Im fortunate enough that very few things bother me on the course. Most of the time noise does not really get to me, but I played with someone recently that drove me mad! Every time I was in the middle of my swing, he would slam his clubs in his bag. It was as if he was waiting to time it right. I had not encountered it before, and the sudden clang of irons banging drove me nuts.

It definitely happens... Not always the club in the bag but various sounds. I think it is extremely poor etiquette to make a bunch of noise while someone is preparing to hit the ball, so I'm usually the type of person to call them out on it (regular playing partners) in jest, or politely ask people I am unfamiliar with to avoid the noises. It would have the ability of ruining the entire round for me if I didn't openly engage with it.

That is the kind of thing that really bothers me not from a standpoint that I can't play through it, but from a lack of etiquette of the game standpoint.

Like most others if you play on public courses you have to get used to noise while you are playing but sudden loud noises in the general area would be enough to rattle most.

If it was every time or nearly every time, maybe he was thinking "gamesmanship". I've known people who have skewed notions like that. Really.

My buddies once were behind me on the box whispering about taking pics/movie of my swing and it was all I could think about. I hood-shanked it right into the mud.

Noise in my backswing definitely bothers me. I'm not sure how it impacts my game but if I hit a bad shot, the noise would be my first excuse.

Definitely agree on this being poor etiquette. I do everything in my power to stay quiet during a back swing, including waiting on putting the club back, taking off my glove or walking around.

Maybe yall saw a tournament on tv a couple of years ago in India or Pakistan where there was CONSTANT honking of car horns. Didn't seem to bother the pros much.

I'm fine with noise during swing. What drives me nuts is when someone tries to get in my kitchen during my pre shot routine.

Maybe yall saw a tournament on tv a couple of years ago in India or Pakistan where there was CONSTANT honking of car horns. Didn't seem to bother the pros much.

The consistent sound I doubt would ever bother anyone. That said, if it's one random one right at the top of the backswing with no horns going off in the minutes surrounding, that comes as a surprise.

Only time I will mention is when Mikeg, bless his heart, was doing video at the 2014 Morgan Cup and during one of my rounds he was doing commentary about 10 feet from where I was getting ready to hit and I had to back off my shot and readjust.

Constant noise during setup and swing does not bother me. Sudden noises during either do though.

Constant noise during setup and swing does not bother me. Sudden noises during either do though.

Very much this.

I'll also say the ill-timed fidget or movement is just as bad. It's happened to me when playing some thp'ers and non-thp'ers alike. I wish I wasn't so sensitive to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would definitely be India.

In Pakistan it would be AK47s or grenade launchers going off ...

... or Afghanistan

kabul3_getty.jpg

Only time I will mention is when Mikeg, bless his heart, was doing video at the 2014 Morgan Cup and during one of my rounds he was doing commentary about 10 feet from where I was getting ready to hit and I had to back off my shot and readjust.

A whispering mward will get you every time as well.

LOL.....I actually quite enjoyed it when he was doing it with me. Even drained a 30 footer as he talked away which made it that much more awesome!

Yes I have and it stinks. I mean why is he in his while your hitting and why do they need to be slammed. If the noise is there before I swing, I can deal but not when it's quiet and all of sudden, clang clang

Exactly!!!

I am with others that say noise in general doesn't bother me, but sudden unexpected noise does.

One time in a ProAm our pro would not pull the trigger, it took a minute to realize he was waiting for the nearby bird to stop chirping. Glorious!

Sudden noises can be distracting.

Back