Noise in Backswing

If it's constant noise then I'm ok, it's the sudden unexpected noise that gets me

You know what, I never thought of that, but I bet that is part of the problem. Most of the time noise doesnt bother me at all, but for some reason this drove me nuts. I think maybe its a sign to wait for clubs to be put away before I take it back.

I'm sure you don't want to slow down your play just because of that. But I would wait until he's back in his cart before I would even start my pre-shot routine. Give him the look ... "are you done slamming your clubs around in your bag?"

Noise in general, no problem. Purposeful timed noise is just like unwanted advice - it flat makes me angry and extremely focused. I play really good golf when I am angry and focused.

Most things don't bother me, but a sudden startling noise definitely would.

Noise really doesn't bother me, but when it happen right in the middle of the swing, wether it's club noise, a phone ringing, people talking, etc. The timing of it does seem to bother me.

I don't care about constant noise, and I don't even care if people talk while I am swinging. It's the sudden noise that becomes an issue. I had a car backfire once right at the top of my swing, that was probably the worst one. I thought I had been shot at for a second haha.

Im fortunate enough that very few things bother me on the course. Most of the time noise does not really get to me, but I played with someone recently that drove me mad! Every time I was in the middle of my swing, he would slam his clubs in his bag. It was as if he was waiting to time it right. I had not encountered it before, and the sudden clang of irons banging drove me nuts.

Have you ever had this happen?

I'm much the same as you on the course, and once in a while the same thing pops up. Last time I played I was playing with a couple guys I hadn't played with before and it seemed like the one guy would be just in my sight line and move just as I started my swing. The other thing I am finding is that for some reason, as I get older, slightly annoying things I never noticed on the course can get my attention now.
I play really fast, and people tell me when things like movement, clanging of irons, etc pop up, it's because they didn't realize I was already teeing off.

Noise Im ok with, people yelling loudly even after I wask them not to isnt cool

Poor etiquette and lack of awareness probably.

As at least one other person has said, I'm a very quick player so people moving in my peripheral vision or making when I'm in the middle of by backswing or getting ready to hit is annoying. I tell foks when Im over the ball, (full shots or putts), assume I'm ready to hit.

More of a problem for me is folks moving (esp in a rush getting off the green before everyone is done) in the line of my putt. Or moving in my peripheral while putting. I'm worklng hard to ignore it but just a minor flinch on a 5 foot putt is probably a miss. On a full shot it might be still in play if not a best hit.

I'm with those that if it starts during my swing it can mess me up. If someone is taking or making noise prior to me starting my swing it doesn't bother me. It drives me nuts when someone makes noise in the middle of my swing.

I have has all kinds of noise happen in my backswing and 9 out of 10 times it does not bother me. I feel that I have learned good concentration and how to drown out outside noise from other sports and from my wife.

I've never noticed it bothering me. It is poor etiquette regardless though and I would expect more from a golfer.

Noise usually doesn't bother me in my backswing, but I used to play with a guy that always seemed to have to unzip his bag for balls or tees or snacks while I was swinging....drove me crazy

Consistent noise I am fine with - but if lets say 2 people interact/talk in my backswing that will annoy me as its unpredictable - for instance, cars, greenskeeper vehicles, music is fine

I play in a match/medal play league where gamesmanship comes into play. Most guys play straight up but a few giggle change in there pocket, put clubs in there bag anything for an advantage, that in my opinion is a cheap way to win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind others when they rant out of frustration because I do the same, BUT if they do it while someone's hitting a shot then they crossed the line as being rude and not having respect for others. They need to learn proper etiquette and if they can't, this game has no place for people like that.

Yes there are a good number of people I encounter that do this. Part of it they always say is because of how quick I play.

The first time you do it sure I can see that but after that they need to be more aware.

As long as a noise is going on before I start it doesn't bother me but sudden noise when in my backswing happens it absolutely bothers me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bingo. Exact same for me.

Ive had it happen but it really doesn't bother me to much I focus on my shot and juts kind of tune everything else out.

Yes, and it bothers me the sudden loud noises do, if people are conversing or there is a steady background noise I'm fine.

It's never been something that bothers me at all. I also am in the 'play fast' group and have had others apologize because they weren't ready for me to swing.

Mike Dean loves it when people yell loudly in his backswing especially after he asks them not to.

Noise Im ok with, people yelling loudly even after I wask them not to isnt cool
Wha…?

My favourite guys to play with are really noisy guys bc then nothing they do bothers me. I usually play alone with music so noise doesn't bug me. The worst are the (usually my age -33- or younger) guys who can't stay quiet. Invariably they'll try to be quiet during setup then make some noise as I'm doing my swing. I swear they just can't stay focused that long. The worst are carters who will start driving while I'm swinging. And I agree, timing seems to be deliberate often.

I don't like it when its unexpected. If people are playing music or even having a conversation it doesn't bother me that much. Its when its quiet and all of a sudden there is a noise so I get surprised that I struggle with it.

There was a very ill-timed truck blaring its horn that really hurt me in an event (non-THP) this spring. Hole we were playing backed up to a road and was in the middle of my putting stroke when it happened. My 20 foot putt went about 8 feet when I flinched at the noise.

The bell tower at Rutgers got me pretty good on the third tee one day, but other than that, I'm pretty focused. Slam away.

^^^I'm pretty much the same. I don't mind a bit of noise when it's constant. The guys I normally play with are usually joking around and it's not an issue. But when it's quiet and all of a sudden someone slams a club into a bag or exclaims loudly thinking about the poor shot they just hit...

Have you ever had this happen?

Yes, backswing & putting my buddy would always be making noise or causing some kind of distraction. I always wondered if it was part of his trying to get under his opponent's skin kind of thing.

Back