October here in the Valley of the Sun means most courses are closed for a week or two to overseed with perennial rye. It is the eve of the best time to golf in Arizona, in my opinion.

October here in the Valley of the Sun means most courses are closed for a week or two to overseed with perennial rye. It is the eve of the best time to golf in Arizona, in my opinion.
can't wait!

October golf can either be awesome or non existent. We usually play as early as possible so the sun going down early doesn't bother us but it's pretty chilly when we tee off. Our greens are recovering from being punched so they're in decent shape but are running slower than normal. The scenery is beautiful at some of the courses but we need to get lucky on weather.

Here in South Carolina we're still waiting for October to arrive it's supposed to get cooler later in the week. Love October golf here, but getting tee times gets more difficult. In between the golf tourists and the shortened days the courses are more crowded. This should last until Thanksgiving and then slow down again. It will pick up in February and last until early May.

October golf ~= August golf. Temps in the 90's, humid, little wind. I'm looking forward to Autumn, but she appears to be in no hurry.

Tri-State (Northeast)

Cooler mornings. Hotter later in the afternoon now. Dark by 7pm pretty sharp.
Surprisingly the greens are in much better shape for this time of year. Some public/county courses are still tending the courses.

Today
22d03a604b5c599eec1cfc626612ca66.jpg

Yesterday
f8c3f6ae86b8f8484d89c6e176e35188.jpg

Sunday
45e9141c9494147edaa6f71ef3373c14.jpg

I really enjoy playing or practicing after work so that is not going to happen this time of year. Also, although we have been enjoying a nice stretch of warm weather here, it's going to change soon and not for the better. I know that the days are coming soon where the high temperature will be in the low to mid 40s.

Is it October? Could have fooled me with the temperature of 95. At this rate we will move from summer to summer.

Aerated greens are healed or almost healed
Sun sets too damn early
Probably around 75 avg high
Beautiful days often ruined by too much wind (but that's just Kansas in general)

Northern Michigan. Temps are dropping and there's often a bit more rain but there are still some nice days ahead. Courses become less crowded and the greens fees drop. This would be the opportunity to play higher-end courses if that sort of thing interests you, or in my case, an opportunity to play a variety of decent courses for $20 walking.

October is the absolute best time to play golf up here. If the season extends into November, even better.

Northeast Ohio here. We usually have good fall temps through most of the month, but window to golf during the day is tight. Usually in 70's for first week, then 60's, then 50's and last week of October is usually in the high 40's. But northeast Ohio weather is generally unpredictable because you can experience 4 seasons in a single week.

Im in central Alabama so no difference between September and October. It was 101° when I left work at 4pm.

You're right about the eve of the best time to golf. Our courses close for 3 weeks for over seeding and then 2 weeks of cart path only. 4 are closed now and 4 will close when the first 4 reopen.

Up here in Ontario, Canada conditions are very similar to other northeastern states. Beautiful fall colours, Indian summer days (yesterday 85 F), the occasional frost delay and of course limited daylight so can conditions are good, ya gotta go.

I doubt they will aerate our course for a couple more weeks. It's too hot and there is no rain in the forecast for weeks. We shall see I guess.

A total crapshoot. Could be 70, 60, 50 or it might be snowing we just never know. About 2 weeks in is typically around the time I hang up the clubs for the season.

Perfect weather down south, college football in its peak season which means I won’t practice or play enough but will find a way to sneak out during the week.

laying both days this weekend in an some matches and I can't wait to enjoy the fall colors, smell etc.. Fall golf is awesome.

I'm curious to hear how different golf is in October for everyone on THP.

For me in Ohio, that means a few things.
- Two weeks from greens aeration
- Sunsets that get WAY too early, making evening golf tough
- 70s average temps (even though we have crazy heat so far into the fall)

What's it like for you guys? For those in warmer climates, how frustrating is the early loss of daylight on perfect days?
I love and hate October golf season. Love the colors that fall brings in the trees, but hate that the sun decides to leave so early.

Fall golf here is beautiful and one of my favorite times to play but it's cooling down fast. 55 today for a high and it looks like mid 60's next week. We likely won't see any 70's temps until April with the average high by Halloween being only 50*. Our average first 1"+ snowfall is November 18th and the lakes will be frozen by early December. The long winter is coming which is why we have a condo in Florida and spend at least some time there every month during the winter. Eventually, Florida will be home for 6 months a year.

I'm curious to hear how different golf is in October for everyone on THP.

For me in Ohio, that means a few things.
- Two weeks from greens aeration
- Sunsets that get WAY too early, making evening golf tough
- 70s average temps (even though we have crazy heat so far into the fall)

What's it like for you guys? For those in warmer climates, how frustrating is the early loss of daylight on perfect days?
I love it, I get the push cart out and walk 9 and just enjoy the scenery. I too live in Ohio (North East) but I love fall golf

It was 95 here in New Orleans yesterday. Big cool front coming through next week. Highs in the mid-80's.?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Our season here never really ends if you don't mind playing in the rain, but October is where it all starts to go to crap. It's pretty abrupt since I would say September is our best golfing month of the year.
-courses aerate first two weeks of October, then drop rates
-by the time courses come back to life, it's November and it's raining every day
-not enough daylight to play after work anymore
-ranges start closing early

Fall golf if great, love the cool crisp air but also hate losing balls on a small stash of leaves.. or thinking a line leaf in the fairway is my ball then having to search again

Will be playing Friday when it's 60* , gotta be prepared with a pullover but also in case it gets hot

Back