Odyssey Red Ball Putter

After this post, I will stop shilling the Red Ball, before I wear out my welcome. Played 18 holes today. 33 putts. One stupid 3 putt, 13 two putts and four 1 putts. Normally, I would expect one or two more putts per round, but 33 putts is a very mediocre putting day in the nearly one month I have been gaming the Red Ball. It is truly hard to find a way to cut a stroke or two off the score, when I don’t hit the ball monsterous distances. This putter has done it for me.

Don't ever stop talking about the clubs you game, TP. It's great for the community.

Glad you're having success!!

Don't ever stop talking about the clubs you game, TP. It's great for the community.

Thanks, Canadan

Seconded!

Excellent review Dan. As you know, I am a big fan of putters that have red alignment assistance features built in so would like to give this a try one day.

Excellent review Dan! I’m still super intrigued by this putter. It may well end up in my bag at some point.

Great review @canadan !!!

Excellent write up Dan! Can’t wait to get mine in hand to add some thoughts.

I am very much liking this putter.

One point to note, and something some reviewers are missing, is that the red ball is not the only itme you should see in the scope. You should also see the white ring underneath the red ball, so the scope picture should be grey scope, white ring, red ball, centered. I have seen some reviews (not this one), where there is criticism about how badly out of alignment you can get and the ball still be in the scope. This is true, but if you incorporate the white, you have to be lined up perfectly.

One thing I am doing, which I am sure is "wrong", but is working great for me, is keeping this sight picture in my entire stroke. Meaning, after lining up and getting the sight picture, when taking my club back, I keep the ball and white aligned in the scope. This has resulted in the ball going exactly on the path I intend every time.

As noted, the face on this putter is a lot softer than my two ball, and I am leaving a lot of putts short. That will get worked out as I practice more.

I am very much liking this putter.

One point to note, and something some reviewers are missing, is that the red ball is not the only itme you should see in the scope. You should also see the white ring underneath the red ball, so the scope picture should be grey scope, white ring, red ball, centered. I have seen some reviews (not this one), where there is criticism about how badly out of alignment you can get and the ball still be in the scope. This is true, but if you incorporate the white, you have to be lined up perfectly.

One thing I am doing, which I am sure is "wrong", but is working great for me, is keeping this sight picture in my entire stroke. Meaning, after lining up and getting the sight picture, when taking my club back, I keep the ball and white aligned in the scope. This has resulted in the ball going exactly on the path I intend every time.

As noted, the face on this putter is a lot softer than my two ball, and I am leaving a lot of putts short. That will get worked out as I practice more.

All good points. The only difference between your approach and mine is that once I know that I have the putter set up correctly using all of the red ball scope and the circle around it, I then use the inverse “C” versa and try to feel that the C is coming through on my line in my through stroke. Also, having gamed this putter now for some time, I still leave more putts short than long. However, I like that it is forcing me to make a confident stroke, which leads to correct acceleration through the putting stroke.

I took a week off from practicing with the red ball and I wasn't making many putts this weekend. Fluke, maybe but I'm not going to chance it. Back to practice...

Mine has arrived! Going to throw a
Tour SNSR grip on it and maybe hit some putts on my backyard green team tonight.

Mine has arrived! Going to throw a
Tour SNSR grip on it and maybe hit some putts on my backyard green team tonight.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

In person it’s actually the same size or a teanie bit smaller than the Sabertooth I’ve been using. More thoughts a little later.

5058c195f968b39c5c2aaf148290afd7.jpg

5a44933448bb74fe36bea4b0ae33dc41.jpg

Odyssey Red Ball Putter

Still haven’t played a round with this (3 weeks since I’ve last golfed), but I’ve rolled it a lot on my backyard putting green. On short putts 6 feet and in, the white horseshoe really does frame the ball and make it super easy to line up. I’ve also found the red ball did help me correct an issue in my setup. I had been leaving the toe end of the putter up off the ground a little bit. Not so much that I could tell by looking down at the putter, but enough that the red ball confirmed it. Also confirmed by my dad standing behind me at setup. I did not like the stock odyssey grip it came with (ordered from BG and didn’t have a choice in picking the grip), but it feels much better with both a superstroke 2.0 and a toursnsr. I’m going toursnsr for now. The insert actually feels a little firmer than the one I’ve been using all year (White Hot XG), but I actually like it a little better. Perfect amount of softness for me (lately I’ve preferred a softer feeling insert). It gives the ball a great roll and good feedback. Now, I haven’t see a real green yet, so judgment is still out. I’ll be playing 18 next weekend and then 5 days in a row the week after that in Myrtle beach, so this will get some use soon. More thoughts after that.

bought a Red Ball putter yesterday. Tried it out at PGASS, tried 34" and 33" and settled for the 33". Just trying it in the store made me realize how off my setup was. Once I started using the red ball to set up and the Versa to set the alignment things just started clicking. Played 9 holes with it this morning and had 6 holes 2 putt or less. For me this is a vast improvement. The one 4 putt was because I didn't take the time to set up properly the course was crowded and there was a slow foursome ahead and the grumpy old guys behind us were hitting into us. Now if I take time to set up and work on my tempo I think I'll see a real improvement. This is a good club for me.

I've been gaming this putter for a few weeks now and love it.

Proper setup is becoming second nature, thanks to forcing myself into the right position using the red ball. Now it has become a checkpoint, rather than a guide. Muscle memory has taken over and I just take a quick peek at the redball to confirm I am in place. Proper setup has allowed me to hit the ball on the line with a lot more consistency, which has improved my putting dramatically.

I am also used to the face now and distance control is back to where it was before, which is to say pretty good most of the time, and horrible bad at others.

Very happy with the putter.

I've been gaming this putter for a few weeks now and love it.

Proper setup is becoming second nature, thanks to forcing myself into the right position using the red ball. Now it has become a checkpoint, rather than a guide. Muscle memory has taken over and I just take a quick peek at the redball to confirm I am in place. Proper setup has allowed me to hit the ball on the line with a lot more consistency, which has improved my putting dramatically.

I am also used to the face now and distance control is back to where it was before, which is to say pretty good most of the time, and horrible bad at others.

Very happy with the putter.

Super glad to hear it worked for you - it does become second nature after a little while and that will likely help you long after you go to a different putter (in true THP fashion because we all change every 1.2 months :banana:)

Wilson Vizor plagiarism, k8 d of. I have a Vizor and it's a (somewhat) effective concept for someone like me who has to have a see more in the bag at all times. I'll try this in a couple years when it's $19.99 in the used bin, though.

Well my trip to Myrtle Beach last week was cut short (actually cancelled) due to the hurricane, but have had a chance to play a couple rounds with this putter. So far, I am really enjoying how it frames the ball. Very easy for me to line up puts. Probably a very underrated feature of this putter, IMO. And, I really enjoy the insert as well. I had a few long puts that were right on the money, and I think only one 3 putt in 54 holes, so that's been pretty good. I'll have a chance to play at least a few more rounds before the weather turns. But so far, still really enjoying this one.

Played another 18 today. I’m really starting to like this putter. From 10 feet and in I feel like I can’t miss, just super confident over the ball. I’m really getting used to the insert, and do well on long lag putts too. 0 three putts today, and about 6 one putts. So easy for me to line up the putt, really really like the way the white “c” frames the ball. This is one of the few times I’ve bought a putter without at least rolling it, but very glad I did.

It is not the most asthetically pleasing putter I have owned, but I have never putted better with anything else.

When I tried this at the PGA Superstore, to get the red ball centered, my hands were behind the ball.

Wilson Vizor plagiarism, k8 d of. I have a Vizor and it's a (somewhat) effective concept for someone like me who has to have a see more in the bag at all times. I'll try this in a couple years when it's $19.99 in the used bin, though.

Disclaimer: I've used Odyssey putters long before I joined THP.

I don't have trouble with putting alignment (I have other putting issues) so I have no dog in this race. Did the Vizor copy the Seemore? If nobody is infringing on a patent, why should we care about "plagiarism?"

Back