Odyssey Stroke Lab Putter Thread

Went to Scheel's to see if they had anything different than Austad's. I hit a bunch of putts and liked my pace on everything except both SL models. I continue to hit almost every putt way too hard. Anyone else struggle with them unless they really focus on a slow, smooth tempo?

Is your stroke more of a jab at the ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your stroke more of a jab at the ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know, I think it can get quick and I'm used to the heavier feel. I tried these putters and rolled them all well except the SL Double Wide and Seven....

Ping- Vault Anser, Craz-e
Sigma 2- Arna, Tyne 4
Scotty- Select Fastback 2
Taylormade- Ardmore, Mullen 2

Went to Scheel's to see if they had anything different than Austad's. I hit a bunch of putts and liked my pace on everything except both SL models. I continue to hit almost every putt way too hard. Anyone else struggle with them unless they really focus on a slow, smooth tempo?

Distance control hasn't been a huge issue for me except with short putts where I've been leaving several short. I've actually been leaving myself much easier follow up putts distance wise than I have in quite some time.

I am in the same boat as you, came from a much heavier putter and found that if I get quick I pull the putt.

Slow for me is much better overall and especially with the stroke lab. For me think this will be a good thing for me for a more consistent stroke

Had a bit of a gross day on the greens the last time I was out, and was concerned the magic was gone. Turns out my concerns were premature - had a really solid putting day today, especially lagging the ball. Hit more greens than I have been, so my first putts were further out than they've been to start the year. Didn't really have much in the way of knee knockers and saved bogey on a hole that could have gone real bad with a long putt made.

I feel like I'm finding the center of the face more often than I was with the previous putter. This remains my favorite insert as well in terms of feel.

Just got back from a putter fitting at Austads. He recommends a plumbers neck style at 33" and 2* flat. They didn't have the Double wide flow or Seven S that he wanted me to try.

I tried the Spider Tour but didn't really like the look or feel. He ran to the back and grabbed a Sigma 2 Tyne 4. I really rolled the ball nice and on line but it's pretty soft. I can probably get used to it but I prefer the firmer feel of the Vault line as well as the Scotty Select.

Oof. Rough day on the greens for me today. Lipped out a few stupid putts, distance control was pretty good overall, but I just had no touch.

So, it won’t actually sink all the putts for you...but it’s still a really good putter, assuming you don’t have an idiot on the other end of it.

Just got back from a putter fitting at Austads. He recommends a plumbers neck style at 33" and 2* flat. They didn't have the Double wide flow or Seven S that he wanted me to try.

I tried the Spider Tour but didn't really like the look or feel. He ran to the back and grabbed a Sigma 2 Tyne 4. I really rolled the ball nice and on line but it's pretty soft. I can probably get used to it but I prefer the firmer feel of the Vault line as well as the Scotty Select.
That Sigma 2 line is nice because it has a soft feel on the shorter putts, but longer putts, the feel firms up nicely.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That Sigma 2 line is nice because it has a soft feel on the shorter putts, but longer putts, the feel firms up nicely.

I did notice that. The guy I worked with said the Sigma 2 line is what he uses and they sell a lot of them.

Worked on 4 footers last night in the basement, got into a groove and felt like I couldn't miss. At one point I had 3 of 4 putts stop in that little hole on the PuttOut, sure wish I was recording. Being on actual grass needs to happen SOON!!

Ok, this weekend was the first weekend I have felt super comfortable with this putter (DoubleWide). I have felt comfortable but been a little shaky. Not sure what it was, but things just clicked this weekend. I made a lot of good putts this weekend with this thing and @e1iterate was there to see it Saturday. I missed a couple, but Sunday, I don't know what it was, I couldn't miss with this thing inside 15'. I hope this is a sign of how my season is going to go. I even offered for a couple guys to try my putter this weekend and they said no because they would get the itch, ha ha.

I went to Scheel's again, this time looking for plumbers necks with some toe hang. I tried and liked the SL Doublewide Flow but didn't like the Seven S as much as I thought I would.

Alright, going to sit down here in just a bit and throw down some thoughts on the DW after 5 rounds and a copious amount of putting games with my HS boys. I really do wish it was longer though as from a comfort perspective it creates an issue for me, but, that is part of this review game!

I spent a good 45 minutes rolling the Marxman at PGA SS this afternoon. I’m really getting comfortable over the ball and alignment is so easy. They even had some ERC TT balls to putt with and it was like cheating. I can’t wait to get mine in a couple of weeks.

I spent a good 45 minutes rolling the Marxman at PGA SS this afternoon. I’m really getting comfortable over the ball and alignment is so easy. They even had some ERC TT balls to putt with and it was like cheating. I can’t wait to get mine in a couple of weeks.
I putted well with mine the first time out. Might get another round or two in this weekend, but after that, the next two weeks are gonna be slim pickins for golf for me.

Ok, this weekend was the first weekend I have felt super comfortable with this putter (DoubleWide). I have felt comfortable but been a little shaky. Not sure what it was, but things just clicked this weekend. I made a lot of good putts this weekend with this thing and @e1iterate was there to see it Saturday. I missed a couple, but Sunday, I don't know what it was, I couldn't miss with this thing inside 15'. I hope this is a sign of how my season is going to go. I even offered for a couple guys to try my putter this weekend and they said no because they would get the itch, ha ha.

I rolled about 4-5 balls with Scott’s putter on the practice green this past weekend.

First thing I noticed was the loft. My putter is set to 1* of loft and I could tell this one had some loft to it. Not sure what the standard specs are but this stood out.

The feel off the face is much different than my gamer (Stroke Lab San Diego) due to me being used to the milled face. I say that but it wasn’t off-putting. The ball rolled where I wanted it too but I do just prefer the feel of my current putter.

Overall it was a truly beautiful putter and Scott rolled it really well last weekend when we played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alright, going to sit down here in just a bit and throw down some thoughts on the DW after 5 rounds and a copious amount of putting games with my HS boys. I really do wish it was longer though as from a comfort perspective it creates an issue for me, but, that is part of this review game!

Potential skim alert, but are you putting a SNSR grip on this one? Or is there something special about the SL stock grip that would alter weight, balance, or whatever that will keep you from swapping?

Potential skim alert, but are you putting a SNSR grip on this one? Or is there something special about the SL stock grip that would alter weight, balance, or whatever that will keep you from swapping?

Not a skim there Pete, and thank you for the bump, with the ladies in the State Championship I got a little busy with focus there, I need to circle back here this evening for updates.

Nah, I’m not going to change it because itll jack up the weight/balance of the SL setup. Which, for me, is a pretty decent drawback to the whole setup and design, but definitely not a killer.

Stock grip is decent. It’s not, imo, memorable, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing as you want focus on the feel, balance, and roll of the putters more than the grip obviously.

Pete, if you replace the grip and the new grip is around 75gms it should maintain the balance point as designed. If you manage to remove the weight seated at the end of the shaft, then you’ll want a grip around the 105 gm weight to not mess with the design.

Pete, if you replace the grip and the new grip is around 75gms it should maintain the balance point as designed. If you manage to remove the weight seated at the end of the shaft, then you’ll want a grip around the 105 gm weight to not mess with the design.

IF you manage to get the weight out....haha

IF you manage to get the weight out....haha

Yeah, big if. From what others have said, it’s seated pretty well.

Thanks! I’m replacing the grip and will look for one that it about 75 grams. I love the putter but the stock grip is not my favorite.

The only thing that could make the Stroke Lab technology better would be a putter with a milled face and a plumbers neck. Oh wait. Did someone say Toulon Portland?? LOL

Rolled 30 putts in the basement last night from 15 feet, working on keeping each ball within 2 feet of the hole. Missed 3, 2 of those were short and one was long that was immediately after a short one (overcompensated). Now it's a internal game to get all 30 in the circle!

Back