Odyssey Stroke Lab Putter Thread

Pete, if you replace the grip and the new grip is around 75gms it should maintain the balance point as designed. If you manage to remove the weight seated at the end of the shaft, then you’ll want a grip around the 105 gm weight to not mess with the design.

This is where I’m still confused. By this logic you would think that the 140cc Tour SNSR contour grip (my favorite at the moment) would weigh too much, since it weighs in at 124 grams. But, you can go on Odyssey’s website now and order a stroke lab putter with that exact grip for $25 up charge. So, how are they maintaining the balance point? Or are they not? Hey, might just have to ask Sean and Luke this in a few weeks.

This is where I’m still confused. By this logic you would think that the 140cc Tour SNSR contour grip (my favorite at the moment) would weigh too much, since it weighs in at 124 grams. But, you can go on Odyssey’s website now and order a stroke lab putter with that exact grip for $25 up charge. So, how are they maintaining the balance point? Or are they not? Hey, might just have to ask Sean and Luke this in a few weeks.

By the same token, I believe they still offer the three different weight sole plates for the Toulon putters. So wouldn't that also defeat the purpose and the supposed benefits of the Stroke Lab tech? Maybe they are just acknowledging that people have different preferences for feel and are good enough that the Stroke Lab benefits aren't needed?

Nothing a drill can’t take care of!:act-up:

Actually that’s not a bad point. You might be able to drill out the center of the weight to accommodate a grip between 75 & 105 grams.

By the same token, I believe they still offer the three different weight sole plates for the Toulon putters. So wouldn't that also defeat the purpose and the supposed benefits of the Stroke Lab tech? Maybe they are just acknowledging that people have different preferences for feel and are good enough that the Stroke Lab benefits aren't needed?

Another good point. But I do think the general public that orders one of this and customizes (customizes from the website) might not be aware they are negating the stroke lab effect (if that is indeed the case)

I'm going to be honest! After how well I putted this weekend with the DoubleWide it's going to be a hard decision on which putter to game each round. DoubleWide or Las Vegas?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am willing to bet the team has set ups in place to make sure the weight balance is maintained as designed, but like you said, we’ll have a front row seat in a couple of weeks to find out.

I ordered my Marxman with a Pistol GT Tour, so I’m interested on how they make the weight work bc at 50gms its well below the stock grip

It's almost like they agree that this exact combo isn't perfect for everyone. They're offering heavier grips. They're offering weight lots for the putter heads. Maybe, just maybe, the formula they came up with is great, but not perfect for everyone. Seems like I might've heard that somewhere before. All I know is, my first round with the SL was pretty good. The only thing I plan to change at this point is I plan on putting on a Superstroke grip at some point.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It's almost like they agree that this exact combo isn't perfect for everyone. They're offering heavier grips. They're offering weight lots for the putter heads. Maybe, just maybe, the formula they came up with is great, but not perfect for everyone. Seems like I might've heard that somewhere before. All I know is, my first round with the SL was pretty good. The only thing I plan to change at this point is I plan on putting on a Superstroke grip at some point.

I agree that it is not perfect for everyone. For example, I can take almost any putter at Scheels and make about everything on their 10 foot straight putt. I grab the SL and have to really focus on a slow take away or I will hit everything way too hard. I had the same issue at Austads!

I think the idea is great but it's a must try. Maybe I could get used to it? It certainly feels a lot lighter!

I agree that it is not perfect for everyone. For example, I can take almost any putter at Scheels and make about everything on their 10 foot straight putt. I grab the SL and have to really focus on a slow take away or I will hit everything way too hard. I had the same issue at Austads!

I think the idea is great but it's a must try. Maybe I could get used to it? It certainly feels a lot lighter!
Try going to the SL from a putter with a ~550g head and 100g under a SS Flatso3.0, then you'll see how light it can feel. Jury is still out for me. I'm not selling my old putter just yet, but I'm gonna give the SL its just tryout.

Try going to the SL from a putter with a ~550g head and 100g under a SS Flatso3.0, then you'll see how light it can feel. Jury is still out for me. I'm not selling my old putter just yet, but I'm gonna give the SL its just tryout.

I'm using a buddies Scotty Futura 6M which doesn't fit my stroke at all according to the guy at Austad's. I prefer a firmer feel and want something more forgiving than a blade despite me needing some toe hang. The SL idea really has me hooked but it doesn't seem to work with my stroke and feel.

Feel-

Ping Vault 2.0

Scotty

Taylormade TP

Strokelab

Ping Sigma 2

Looks-

Ping Vault 2.0/Scotty

Taylormade TP Black Copper

Ping Sigma 2

Strokelab

i know alot of people are interested in changing grips but Odyssey has said from the beginning, send your putter in to them for regripping so that they can make the proper adjustments to the putter so that it maintains the proper weighing. How they do it I don't know but I can say that when I called CS, they were quick to address the issue with me. Lead time for shipping and doing the work and return shipping was close to 2-3 weeks when i called a couple weeks ago.

i know alot of people are interested in changing grips but Odyssey has said from the beginning, send your putter in to them for regripping so that they can make the proper adjustments to the putter so that it maintains the proper weighing. How they do it I don't know but I can say that when I called CS, they were quick to address the issue with me. Lead time for shipping and doing the work and return shipping was close to 2-3 weeks when i called a couple weeks ago.
What did they charge?

What did they charge?

I want to say it was $10 for shipping each way plus cost of grip. I’m not 100% on that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to say it was $10 for shipping each way plus cost of grip. I’m not 100% on that though.

So, $20 for a 30 minute (at most) job. Sounds steep.

So, $20 for a 30 minute (at most) job. Sounds steep.

If that was true then no one here would be worrying about replacing the grip on their SL putter and trying to maintain the balance point from stock set up.

If that was true then no one here would be worrying about replacing the grip on their SL putter and trying to maintain the balance point from stock set up.
If the stock setup was the end all, be all, then Odyssey wouldn't offer aftermarket weight kits or heavier grips as options.

No need to argue. Everyone that's read the thread understands there are some that think the exact weights that the putters come from the factory is the only combination that is worthy of the name and that some of us are open minded enough to realozenthatvita a great starting point, but we are all individuals who might prefer a slightly different setup. For the record, Odyssey agrees with the latter, evidenced by the aforementioned aftermarket modifications offered.

Did they happen to send your stock grip back to you?

If the stock setup was the end all, be all, then Odyssey wouldn't offer aftermarket weight kits or heavier grips as options.

No need to argue. Everyone that's read the thread understands there are some that think the exact weights that the putters come from the factory is the only combination that is worthy of the name and that some of us are open minded enough to realozenthatvita a great starting point, but we are all individuals who might prefer a slightly different setup. For the record, Odyssey agrees with the latter, evidenced by the aforementioned aftermarket modifications offered.

Did they happen to send your stock grip back to you?

i guess I dont agree with your "open minded" claim but it's no skin off my back because it's your equipment/money spent not mine. I was simply pointing out that for those choosing to take the option available to them, Odyssey can give them piece of mind knowing the work and design is as intended which is what alot of people posting in here are worried about. As I said, if people choose to purchase with heavier weights and or grips, I think it would go a long way to note that in their reviews here so people can note the difference.

Also I did not go through with the RA to Odyssey for the work.

i guess I dont agree with your "open minded" claim but it's no skin off my back because it's your equipment/money spent not mine. I was simply pointing out that for those choosing to take the option available to them, Odyssey can give them piece of mind knowing the work and design is as intended which is what alot of people posting in here are worried about. As I said, if people choose to purchase with heavier weights and or grips, I think it would go a long way to note that in their reviews here so people can note the difference.

Also I did not go through with the RA to Odyssey for the work.

Not worth it dude. Same song and dance different thread.

The team at Odyssey is a HUGE believer in putter fitting and have developed software as well as hardware to accomplish it. Having weight alternatives when fitting is the goal is absolutely what any competent company would do. It certainly doesn't change the idea of rebalancing weight.

Love all the discussion here and have so many questions to ask in a couple weeks at the Odyssey event.

Definitely sounds like many have different opinions on the value of Stoke Lab shafts for those not fitted to their putter.

The team at Odyssey is a HUGE believer in putter fitting and have developed software as well as hardware to accomplish it. Having weight alternatives when fitting is the goal is absolutely what any competent company would do. It certainly doesn't change the idea of rebalancing weight.
I agree 100%. Just goes to substantiate my theory that it's not the weight we're going for here, it's the way it's distributed.

I'll give my SL 5 or 10 rounds before I start tinkering with it, but I look forward to comparing results with different configurations.

Love all the discussion here and have so many questions to ask in a couple weeks at the Odyssey event.

Definitely sounds like many have different opinions on the value of Stoke Lab shafts for those not fitted to their putter.

Yes, please ask what the goal is with the SL. Is it paramount to keep the weight the same or is the ratio the important variable?

Yes, please ask what the goal is with the SL. Is it paramount to keep the weight the same or is the ratio the important variable?

On my list, of course, there will be many others with different questions to post back on the forum.

I believe very much in putting fittings and have benefited immensely from my most recent one but exactly what you are posting confirms what I was saying. Talk with the professionals about what you are trying to achieve and they will get you squared away. Odyssey wants people to send the putters in so that they can get them squared away from then just guessing and not compensating one direction or another and blaming the SL design on an ill fit putter configuration.

I believe very much in putting fittings and have benefited immensely from my most recent one but exactly what you are posting confirms what I was saying. Talk with the professionals about what you are trying to achieve and they will get you squared away. Odyssey wants people to send the putters in so that they can get them squared away from then just guessing and not compensating one direction or another and blaming the SL design on an ill fit putter configuration.

How many actually get good putter fittings though? I had my 1st recently and it was a joke. 20 minutes of a guy standing watching me putt to see how the ball rolls and my stroke. I had 5 kids running around on the putting green including 1 who took my ball mid stroke.

There was no data other than him saying I need some toe hang and he likes me in a 33" putter. No mention of weight, lie, loft, grip. I brought up lie and he said yea maybe 1-2* flat.

Last edited:
Back