PODCAST Off Course: Episode 8: Music on the Course and BIG CONTEST

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show including discussing should music be allowed on the course and more. Hosted by Dan Edwards and Rob Miller, each Friday the hosts give you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before.

OFF-COURSE.jpeg

Episode 8 is here and Rob and Dan discuss the following topics.

Music on the CourseExtreme Putter AlignmentGolf being a Noun and a VerbA HUGE CONTEST

As with all podcasts on the THP Radio Network you can catch the episodes a number of ways. Right here on the website, on our Soundcloud channel, and of course our THP Golf Mobile App. You can also subscribe at iTunes and Google...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Big supporter of music on the course. None of us are playing in the US Open. Just listen to it.

Big supporter of music on the course. None of us are playing in the US Open. Just listen to it.

It doesn't bug me. But if it bugged others, I'd turn it off.

BIG SUPPORTER is aggressive wording :p

Last edited:
Good listen (is that grammatically correct, like the whole golf noun verb thing?).

Music - in my northeast world, music is only played occasionally. Rarely in the morning - more common for an afternoon round. I enjoy it.

Alignment - I flirted with the TT on the ball the past few rounds. Not for me. I ended up turning the ball to the white side. I would still look into the TT on the putter though.

I don't have any (many) Twitter or IG followers. I will post something but it may not have a viral effect!

I did create a playlist specifically for golf - it's length is the ideal length of time for a round of golf - 3:45.

I did create a playlist specifically for golf - it's length is the ideal length of time for a round of golf - 3:45.

Going off course (kind of), but last week we had an 8:30 tee time (4some). All walkers. The new head pro came out to talk to us on the first tee (not a common practice).

"Hey guys, I'm not here to say you're slow, I'm saying we know your pace though. I'm just letting you know that you're my first foursome out so I need you to set the pace. There's a twosome in front of you and a threesome behind you, so we'll need you keep up."

We were a little confused because by not saying we're slow, he's still saying we're slow.

Anyway, we finished in 3:45. He sent us an email (which I thought was pretty cool):

"Hey guys,

Thank you very much for your efforts today. We had your group noted at well under 4 hours to play your round.

I promise now I will never say anything again!!

Much appreciated."

Anyway, that's my 3:45 music playlist story.

Music on the course, I think it is for the later morning afternoon rounds. I have no issues with it anytime, but in the morning I love the sounds of nature, so I would not really want that to be drowned out with music.

If someone is that concerned about golf/golfing, I don't think I want to play golf with them :ROFLMAO:. Probably too opinionated for my liking. I'm golfing tomorrow and I can't wait to golf my ball tomorrow as a golfer on a golf course where I have golfed many times before!

Interesting talk about putting grip styles. Made me think of a new putter grip model that has just been released, and it's everything that's wrong with product design.

I'll leave the name of the grip out of this, but it won't be hard to figure out. Basically, the design of the grip is such that you lock your lead wrist against the grip. This is supposed to help you keep your putter face square through the stroke. It's like a mini-anchor.

Here's the problem.

I'm a left-hand-low, right-handed putter. In order to take my normal grip, I have to install the grip "backwards", which completely negates the perceived benefit of the design. Furthermore, even if I was a "standard grip" putter, the grip actually promotes a forward press depending on your ball position. This de-lofts the putter, which throws off what you may (or may not) have been fit to.

Really bad design.

Going off course (kind of), but last week we had an 8:30 tee time (4some). All walkers. The new head pro came out to talk to us on the first tee (not a common practice).

"Hey guys, I'm not here to say you're slow, I'm saying we know your pace though. I'm just letting you know that you're my first foursome out so I need you to set the pace. There's a twosome in front of you and a threesome behind you, so we'll need you keep up."

We were a little confused because by not saying we're slow, he's still saying we're slow.

Anyway, we finished in 3:45. He sent us an email (which I thought was pretty cool):

"Hey guys,

Thank you very much for your efforts today. We had your group noted at well under 4 hours to play your round.

Much appreciated."

Good recovery by the pro.

Interesting talk about putting grip styles. Made me think of a new putter grip model that has just been released, and it's everything that's wrong with product design.

I'll leave the name of the grip out of this, but it won't be hard to figure out. Basically, the design of the grip is such that you lock your lead wrist against the grip. This is supposed to help you keep your putter face square through the stroke. It's like a mini-anchor.

Here's the problem.

I'm a left-hand-low, right-handed putter. In order to take my normal grip, I have to install the grip "backwards", which completely negates the perceived benefit of the design. Furthermore, even if I was a "standard grip" putter, the grip actually promotes a forward press depending on your ball position. This de-lofts the putter, which throws off what you may (or may not) have been fit to.

Really bad design.

Yeah that definitely doesn't fit your stroke/putter combo. Time to mix it up. I'm tempted to try Sense putter grip on my gamer BUT I like my gamer putter so much, I'm hesitant to change.

Thanks for another great episode guys! I am cool with music at a reasonable volume on the course and would rather go golfing than golf my ball. Do not say either but have always thought "golf your/my ball" sounded really odd.

I occasionally play music on my iphone during my league games but never loud enough to hear outside the cart. I do love the sounds of nature and if Im on a course that provides alot of that I would rather listen to that.

Thanks for another great episode guys! I am cool with music at a reasonable volume on the course and would rather go golfing than golf my ball. Do not say either but have always thought "golf your/my ball" sounded really odd.

Thanks bud. At the end of the day, we are all golfers. Or is it golf players? :p

Music at a reasonable level is acceptable, you shouldn't here it from the tee box when it 400 yards away.

Music is fine though I have never initiated. Softer is better than louder. Good with anything with some kind of beat to it. Lots of country around here. Good pace and rhythm for golf.

I am just to lazy/ADD to use any alingment. Too much effort to be consistent with minimal gains.

Lol at BAMs.

Another good one guys, very easy to listen to while at work. I like music on the course as long as its not too loud meaning I only want to hear it when I'm sitting in the cart. Please @HipCheck get a speaker, using your iphone as a speaker is appalling. :D

"Hey guys,

Much appreciated."

I love it when the pro shop keeps the first couple groups conscious about pace of play. It really does set the tone for the entire day out there.

I vote for less grammar talk moving forward, haha.

Another good one guys, very easy to listen to while at work. I like music on the course as long as its not too loud meaning I only want to hear it when I'm sitting in the cart. Please @HipCheck get a speaker, using your iphone as a speaker is appalling. :D

It's not common enough practice for me, although I guess I could just grab the Amazon Tap and pair it w/bluetooth. As an early morning player, this takes more planning than I'm used to!

I enjoy music on the course when playing with the wife. She actually bought one of these https://www.desertfoxgolf.com/ that will hold my phone in the cart. Works great, and when using my phone as a gps it was nice as well.

Another great episode. I look forward to this every Friday!

Another good listen. I don't listen to music on course, but don't have a problem with anyone that does. As long as its not too loud I am good with it. (y)

THANK YOU!

It's almost as ridiculous as not putting ketchup in the fridge.

Back