Off Season Goals for 2020

Oh yeah I forgot about the playing a lot part. My 40 rounds a year to your 200 haha. Makes sense now. Carry on...
More like 80, but I've played a fair bit over the last couple weeks.

If this keeps up, I'm going to be a solid 2 by the HC freeze.

I am going to work on fitness, flexibility and strength training through the winter. I think I actually need a little break away from focusing specifically on golf to let a few things heal and, hopefully, come back to golf after winter with increased core strength and flexibility to make my swing a little easier. My specific goals:

1. Lose 10 more lbs. (Lost 20 so far in 2019)
2. Complete the Lift 4 program on BeachBody on Demand
3. Complete a program with a golf specific physical therapist I have found.

The one thing I want to do is decide on a set of irons to play for 2020 and completely commit to that set for the year. I really need to improve my short iron and wedge play in order to hit one of my last real golf goals (getting my index to a 3 or below).

Having no real physical activity or even swinging a club in almost ten months, my goals are simple. I need to lose some weight, build up core strength and work on flexibility. This could be a good time to take some lessons and work on my swing when I'm released for activity. There are positives I'm counting on.

get my right elbow healthy so it doesn't hurt nearly as much to play golf

Luckily I don’t have an off season but I continue to work on the core strength and flexibility all year. It is making a difference and I feel good. I do need to get back to some yoga every now and then.

Improve my tee game, bunker game and get in shape

I'm going to try not to swing for a good couple months and heal up, hopefully. And not talk about golf with Mrs. Stiff. She needs a break. Maybe a beach and hiking trip if we're not moving. Visit her family. Enjoy the slower work schedule. Hunt some. Oh, and cook and eat every wonderful thing I can think of - 10 or 15 lbs by my birthday would be awesome. I consider these all golf related because for me, resting and taking time away from any obsession, and maintaining a healthy spirit are essential to achieving my best performance in season. Baseball taught me that.

Then get back to working on flexibility and safely achieving a full swing. I'd love to make that 20 yards or so available without requiring any more hardware being drilled into my torso. Practice and visualize that intermediate wedge game every, single, day. I want to sleep to dreams of pins surrounded by pitch marks. Maybe a new golf bag if I think I deserve it. Start the new season shiny.

edit: Find a golf buddy who takes it seriously and maybe wants to get in shape for golf related reasons. I have advanced degrees and years of training experience that go to waste on my life and broken body.

Last edited:
Work on flexibility, although I've said that for 3 years and never followed through... I might have to switch up the approach this year

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Will start super speed training again in December

Committing to more running, planning on doing it throughout the winter.

Doing Yoga multiple days a week.

Will start weight training in December as well.

Golf standpoint.

Increased putting practice this winter. Two hours a week at a range or in a simulator working on swing, also working with instructor once a month starting in December.

I’m going to hit the Peloton hard 4-5 days a week and get my cardio back where I want it. I have no excuse or lack of time now that the boating season is over.
Golf wise, I will hone the improved hand/release action through impact that I found on the range a month ago and has transferred amazingly quickly to the course. It feels like I’ve rolled back the clock 20 years with the driver and fairway woods as I’m reaching par 5’s in two at least a couple times each round and hitting a lot of wedges into the longer par 4’s at my home course. I hit the center of the 18th green from 262 yards yesterday with no helping wind - something that really was out of my range the last decade or two. I’m somewhat fearful this new distance will disappear over the winter, lol.

Continuing my lessons and working on swing changes. Plan to be ready to rock by spring.

No offseason but my goal at nights and when I am not playing is to finally stick with, and get proficient with, a cross handed putting stroke.

Since I live in backwards land, my goals for the "season of comfortable golf" are:

1. play 3+ rounds a month. (two rounds on tap this weekend)
2. practice at least once a week.
3. improve consistency with chipping. When on I think I have good distance feel, but duff so so many.
4. reign in that slice with Driver. and correct the push I've started to fall into with the irons.
5. see if average lowers from 100 to 95.
6. play golf with THPers. (Dec AZ gathering is locked on the calendar!)
7. as always, have fun every time I play. regardless of score/swing

Lot of putting-- Found a putter that I like, and if I can keep myself from reading putter threads here I'll stick to it.
Going to make sure I get some sim time in at one of the new places around here that offers it to at least keep somewhat of a swing

Will keep playing all winter but it is slower, have a few goals:

Keep working with my coach to get my swing moving in the right direction.

Get back to consistent exercise

Eat better and drop a few lbs.

Have a good time when I get to play.

I don't think I have any goals. Might try to squeeze in a gapping session on the monitor, a loft/lie adjustment for all irons & wedges, and if there's any time left a quick lesson focused on wedge play (50-90 yards sort of thing).

I have some different goals than usual this winter...

I think I overdid the golf this year, and I'm not in my 20s anymore, so I've ended up with some chronic pain in my elbows and also my left thumb.

Out of my three goals this off season, two of them are health related:

1) Rest and recover; allow my elbows and thumb time to heal.
2) Transition to a set of graphite irons and larger grips
3) Non-health goal... set up the little indoor putting carpet in my basement and hammer a bunch of putts on the Pelz Putting Tutor. I feel like I can work on that without further aggravating the elbows and thumb.

Even though I play hockey twice a week in the winter, it just isn't enough exercise as I've gotten older. I seem to always gain 20-30 lbs over the winter, and would like to be in good shape in the spring for a change.
I'm a walker in golf so the pounds do shed off, but would like to start out spring golf in shape, and really work on my endurance as there were a few important rounds this summer where I had zero energy.
Gettin' old sucks!

Play as much cool/cold weather golf as possible. This is my first winter in a new house, I’m going to set up a man cave with a putting area and work bench. I need to work on fitness and flexibility but I’ll set modest goals so I have a chance if reaching them.

I am at kind of an impasse myself. I feel like I have gotten my game about as far as I can take it on my own. I want to commit to investing in quality instruction to see if I am capable of making it to the next level. For me, that is scratch golf. Breaking 70. Consistent flighting of the golf ball. I think my natural swing is decent to the point where I can improve it and accomplish some of this. I will be 38 this Winter and while it's not that old relatively speaking, as I inch closer to 40, I find myself kind of getting into that midlife crisis mode. If I am going to make the push, I gotta do it soon.

So, I have been in contact with an instructor in town who will be able to provide me some new perspective using some tech that I haven't been fortunate enough to use up to this point. GC Quad, KVest, and the like. See if I can get a game plan to improve my swing and relieve some pressure off of some trouble parts of my body (lower back). It's not a final push by any means. But, it will be a serious move on my part unlike anything I have done in the past.

Lose a little weight, get a putting mat and just focus on that a few times a week.

Maybe an iron fitting if I can or aside the $ but not likely, maybe next winter

They say we can play during the winter months here. I intend to at least hit the driving range. It's supposed to be heated. We'll see. I also intend to lose a few pounds. We'll see how that goes. I intend to get in better physical condition for next year. Good intentions pave the road to Hell.

going to really focus on using the super speed trainer. Bought them in march and did it the first month while weather sucked.... also thinking of getting a nice putting green/mat for the basement

I have to exercise more this winter, especially considering how much time I spend driving. I'm excited that I have my rowing machine to help with that but I think I'm also going to start up the Insanity workout program again and hopefully dive back in to DDP Yoga. I need to get my back up to full again again and my core strength is embarrassing.

Outside of that I'll do a lot of practice putting again. I made huge strides last winter and should be able to build on that. I may even try re-shafting my irons on my own.

Back