Off Season Goals for 2020

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
As the colder weather approaches here in Ohio, I am back to pondering all the things I'd like to do in the off season. Hit the rower harder, get on the bench more, do the 100 pushup a day challenge again. Ailing joints and I'll openly admit laziness holds me back just about every year.

What do you guys do in your off season to improve your chances of lower scores for the next golf season?

One of the only things I seem to genuinely commit to is club work and putting practice. I hope that changes this year, and maybe having a thread talking about it will improve my chances. Now that I have an Apple watch, the idea of filling my exercise ring every day (if for no other reason than to annoy my wife who doesn't get the numbers I do) is actually kind of appealing. With a bike, treadmill, and rower at my disposal, I think I can make a run at 30 straight days of 30+ minutes of exercise.

Lose a bunch of weight, work on flexibility, get a fitting from someone that knows what they’re doing, lots of practice from <100yds weather permitting

Fall is coming. And fast. Know winter isn’t far behind. Leading up to the Grandaddy I will get as much in as I can and a couple of lessons.

Continuing to put a lot of time in on the peloton, I really feel like it’s improving my overall health, and especially strengthening my core and lower body. My golf swing is feeling more powerful with less effort.

my goal for 2020 is to review the **** out of the new callaway gear, keep having fun - I really focused on that aspect this year- and get down to a 10 or sub 10 cap. Latest update was 13.6, my lowest ever, and I feel like all of those goals are attainable.

Fall is coming. And fast. Know winter isn’t far behind. Leading up to the Grandaddy I will get as much in as I can and a couple of lessons.

Continuing to put a lot of time in on the peloton, I really feel like it’s improving my overall health, and especially strengthening my core and lower body. My golf swing is feeling more powerful with less effort.

my goal for 2020 is to review the **** out of the new callaway gear, keep having fun - I really focused on that aspect this year- and get down to a 10 or sub 10 cap. Latest update was 13.6, my lowest ever, and I feel like all of those goals are attainable.
Great goals, buddy. Repping the Grandaddy will be a labor of love.

As the weather falls into the crappier months, I’m trying to set realistic goals. I plan to roll at least 100 putts a week and work on my swing form with some mirror work. I’d love to get in the gym if my injuries heal in time

As the weather falls into the crappier months, I’m trying to set realistic goals. I plan to roll at least 100 putts a week and work on my swing form with some mirror work. I’d love to get in the gym if my injuries heal in time
I vote for 1,000 putts a week.

1. Work on new Callaway equipment reviews.
2. Get proficient with new swing from lessons.
3. Sign up for a state amateur tournament.

Just purchased the puttout trainer and mat and will definitely be setting a daily/weekly goal. Also as also mentioned above, will focus on overall health.

My plan is to try and create some flexibility, getting older sucks. New gear in December from the Grandaddy will have me itching to get out and play. Big thing will be short game and putting, I want to get a putt out trainer from Santa this year hopefully.

I really don't have an offseason, but I do plan to workout more so I can bulk up a little. I've lost the weight I wanted, but now it's time to put on a little mass and fill out.

Golf wise I am going to clean up my iron game. It's the most frustrating part of my game and is keeping me from playing the kind of golf I know I am capable of.

Putting putting putting. I have an indoor putting mat now so that will be my off season. I am also planning on finding somewhere in the house to practice chipping. Those are by far the biggest things in the off-season that go haywire and cause issues to start the year.

I need to do more leg and back strengthening. Probably work on putting. Only benefit I have is I can see on course results faster than those who are stuck in the snow, but I’m now just limited to daylight and much more expensive rates.

I have been thinking about checking out a gym nearby again. I don't have any workout equipment at home other than a TRX but not sure I get enough from it. Fitness needs to become more of a daily thing especially over the winter for me.

Yeah I will be putting like a mofo also. Gotta get that perfect pace with the puttout!

Get back to a consistent workout routine since the stiffness won't mess with my swing as much. I use P90x mostly with an elliptical for more cardio.

Work on being a good ball striker with the indoor swing setup in the garage.

I have many off season golf goals this year. This is a big change for me.
  • Indoor league - signed up yesterday (never played league of any kind)
  • Daily putting practice -- I now have resources for this
  • 3-4 times per week swing the orange whip
  • Continue a series of lessons using indoor hitting area -- 2-3 over winter
  • Continue to be a student of golf technique
  • Evaluate club changes with potential to enhance my game -- opening my thinking to options
  • Maintaining fitness and weight is fairly standard for me, but I am starting a series of yoga practices targeting core and hip flexibility.
I likely played my last meaningful round yesterday. Great day and challenging course. I have a good baseline on where I'm playing well and need work this winter. Tee game is solid. Wedges and <100 yards is fantastic. Putting is improving but lots of room to up this part of my game. Approach game is floundering. I did not hit a solid approach iron all day. Sand game, particularly from fairway bunkers, is terrible; essentially a 1 stroke penalty as I chunk something out 30-50 yards.

@Canadan why don't you and I go in on a fitness goal thread here; we can try and keep each other motivated. Lets do the push up challenge.

I've been pretty stressed with work the last couple years and it's put a damper on my fitness (also I've been lazy so I've got that going too) so like most I intend to work on that via Peloton, treadmill, and the weight rack in my basement. I'm also planning to put in work on the sim this winter again and hopefully grove a swing that doesn't fold like a cheap lawn chair early in the season again. Hopefully I'll come into next season a bit trimmer and in a better position to bring my cap down further. Lots of room for improvement all around so it shouldn't be difficult to make something positive happen.

Drink as much rum as @Canadan, maybe I'll come back into the 2020 golf season as a + handicap.

Drink as much rum as @Canadan, maybe I'll come back into the 2020 golf season as a + handicap.
My intake has been less lately, and my handicap is threatening 0.0 again for the first time all year.

Better stock up lol

My intake has been less lately, and my handicap is threatening 0.0 again for the first time all year.

Better stock up lol
Sidebar: How can your hdcp fluctuate that much when mine has moved .4 all season with some pretty terrible rounds?

If the weather permits, I will hit the range or simulator for practice on the golf swing just to keep it going in the direction it has been lately

I also want to lose weight and get fitter - sitting behind a desk all day with an hours drive each way on top of that doesn't leave much time for exercise, but I want to try and commit to getting to the pool at least once a week for a swim

If I bring my clubs home from my locker, I could also make more use of the Puttout mat that I have

Sidebar: How can your hdcp fluctuate that much when mine has moved .4 all season with some pretty terrible rounds?
Because I play a lot.. And when you're a +4 and shoot 9 straight scores over par, it's coming back in a hurry.

Because I play a lot.. And when you're a +4 and shoot 9 straight scores over par, it's coming back in a hurry.
Oh yeah I forgot about the playing a lot part. My 40 rounds a year to your 200 haha. Makes sense now. Carry on...

Back