Official Rant of the Day

Teenage daughters....that is it. I had not planned on drinking this early, but here we are.
Patience... And, it's difficult! The one of ours who pushed all the buttons during high school... Didn't think she'd graduate high school... Fired from her first job out of high school... Is making $250K as Director of Risk Management for a multi-state construction conglomerate. The angst will be gone too quick as they leave the nest and you wonder where the time went. Girls are the worst!!! You got this!!!!

Why are popsicles terrible now?

Today marks a month since my father passed. It still doesn't feel right.

I’m sorry to hear that, I had no idea man…. Heart goes out to you and the family.

Why do people leave time as tentative when they are putting an all day event in Outlook? Why does my calendar have to look like I am busy because Jane Doe from wherever is taking a sick day? Just mark the time as free so it doesn't mess up my calendar.

Teenage daughters....that is it. I had not planned on drinking this early, but here we are.
My daughter was my closest child until she started her period. Then she hated me from 11 - 18. I picked her up at college for thanksgiving weekend her Freshman year. Driving out of town she put her hands on the dash and said "Dad I have to tell you something." I had that oh **** feeling come over me. Then she said "you were right." We have became close again since that. She gave us our first grandchild a couple years ago who is very much like how her mother was. Those hate years were tough for sure she said some really mean things. I'm glad it is all in the past but it took a lot of strength and restraint. You can do it, remain calm, speak without yelling and use logic in responses. Then go the putting green.

If a traffic light turns from red to green, and you honk at me instantly to go like a jerk, enjoy me not moving.

The only thing I ask of my team, outside of doing your ******* job, is be here on time. We maintain the site 137,000 electronic W-2s are on. Our phones turn on at 8. Be here and ready to go at 8 for all the morons who can't follow the simple instructions to reset their password on the site. How is it so hard for adults to get somewhere at a certain time? I've told people time and again, be here when you're supposed to be here. Should I take it personal that the only thing I ask them to do, they don't do?

The only thing I ask of my team, outside of doing your ******* job, is be here on time. We maintain the site 137,000 electronic W-2s are on. Our phones turn on at 8. Be here and ready to go at 8 for all the morons who can't follow the simple instructions to reset their password on the site. How is it so hard for adults to get somewhere at a certain time? I've told people time and again, be here when you're supposed to be here. Should I take it personal that the only thing I ask them to do, they don't do?
We also start at 8, half of the office (it's just 2 of us) is here at 8:12-8:15 everyday without fail. We've talked about it many times and I've simply given up.

Went to the doc and he said it was most likely gout in the foot (pending blood work). Then he reeled off my whole diet, more or less, so I guess it's time to try and change a few things. Not sure I can stop certain things cold turkey (mainly shrimp, crawfish, and beer), but definitely gonna limit the intake.

Picking up my script in the next hour, so hopefully that brings some relief since the last 3 days have been brutal.

If a traffic light turns from red to green, and you honk at me instantly to go like a jerk, enjoy me not moving.
Don't drive in Puerto Rico...

Sticking to the driving rant. I followed a Kroger Home Delivery truck on my way to work this morning. Too early for deliveries, have no idea what they were doing. They sure weren't in a hurry, driving 5-10mph below speed limit. We get to the dead end of the road we're on, it's an odd angle, 3-way stop intersection. Turn left to go into town, turn right to go out. There is a tractor trailer making the stop from on our right and has the right-of-way, except for the Kroger delivery truck ignores him and proceeds to the stop bar which prevents the tractor trailer from being able to make the turn. You know you would, as a courtesy, hang back to give the big fella some room. Nope.
So I hang back, but no one goes. The tractor trailer can't make the turn. The Kroger truck won't turn left. After three seconds I honk, come on, somebody. The Kroger truck goes, I stay back so the tractor trailer can make the turn. Of course, another trucker goes straight from right to left, while I'm blocked. I move up to the stop bar, another truck from the right goes then decides to also turn left with no signal, rolls his window down and yells something at me as he goes by... I dunno. Just tryin' to get to work.

Last edited:
Love it when someone doesn't do their job for years and then retires before it all surfaces and the new manager (me) gets handed a turd sandwich and has to clean it all up...the last week has been so mentally exhausting.

Had my performance review today. Asked my boss for feedback on what I can do better. She said I do too much work. Note 2 of my 3 direct reports have been poached this year by teams in our department so I had to pick up all of their work and then divy it back out as the new folks gained experience. I am also the only leader on her team that knows Power BI at all and the other two leaders lost their Power BI employees to external roles and I had to pick up all of that work as well because I know their business and the skills. Also my employer Humana has laid off 25,000 people over the last 2 years and continues to hammer that our organization must still get more productive and efficient. Also note this was all done while my teams customers were the only group under our VP that received exceptional feedback in our yearly customer survey and my direct reports consistently give me great feedback as a leader to my boss and other teams are poaching my people because they are highly skilled and work hard. The team that is supposed to have a team full of Power BI experts poached one of my people and he has cleared out a 2 year backlog of projects for their team in his first 11 months in his new role. Yes the other 6 people who are experts in Power BI couldn’t do the work in 2 years that he did in 11 months and I hired him off the street with no data experience 26 months ago. I’m so freaking over my job right now. 🤬

Not really surprising. Denver probably gets more sunny days per year than you do. I went out with a friend who had moved there to haul some more of his stuff out. The week was on him and all I had to buy was a one way flight home. This was in mid-January, and I could get around just fine in a spring weight jacket and no gloves. If you looked at the temperature it was cold, but it didn't feel cold. The air was dry. The air is NOT dry in Florida. Usually not in Ohio either. Some people seem to think that Denver is in the mountains. It is not. It lies just East of them, and the really crap weather usually gets chewed up by the Rockies.

Not really surprising. Denver probably gets more sunny days per year than you do. I went out with a friend who had moved there to haul some more of his stuff out. The week was on him and all I had to buy was a one way flight home. This was in mid-January, and I could get around just fine in a spring weight jacket and no gloves. If you looked at the temperature it was cold, but it didn't feel cold. The air was dry. The air is NOT dry in Florida. Usually not in Ohio either. Some people seem to think that Denver is in the mountains. It is not. It lies just East of them, and the really crap weather usually gets chewed up by the Rockies.
Given its northness in relation to FL, it’s just crazy to see

The lady that has cut my hair the last ten years is moving out of state. I hate having to find new people.
dumb jim carrey GIF

Or as I like to think of it, western Kansas.

1st world problems but Amazon Prime now charging a monthly fee to stay commercial free is annoying.

So sorry to hear man. I know it's not my dad, but my gramps raised me and its been just over 5 years since he passed and still doesn't feel right. Praying for you man. Keep your head up!

Anyone else tired of hearing about Taylor Swift....

Back