Offseason work with TrueMotionGolf

Update: Still working on the backswing right now. Working on staying centered and getting a little more weight in the right heel on the take away. Also trying to limit some wrist hinge which I think was causing me to do some weird spine tilting at the top of the swing. Hopefully getting a solid backswing foundation will make transition and impact more balanced and on the right plane coming down.

Thanks for allowing us to see some of what you are working on. As someone who may have interest in what Matt and True Motion can offer, seeing things in action is helpful as far in making a decision to try the program.

Wondered how things are progressing with you, @MarMill? I just signed up with TrueMotion, myself, earlier this evening. Looking forward to getting started, soon 😀

Wondered how things are progressing with you, @MarMill? I just signed up with TrueMotion, myself, earlier this evening. Looking forward to getting started, soon 😀
I think things have been going well. Lots of reps and micromovements. I would suggest really working and getting each section before moving on because everything stacks on top of each other. Set up is pretty easy but when you get to take away and backswing there are different feels and positions to achieve. I would try each movement to see which feel gets you to where you want to be and then drill that move until it feels natural and you don't have to think about it.

So for me I feel an oblique pull at the beginning of the backswing and that will feel will get me to the top of the backswing in a pretty good position. This is as far as I have gotten so far. I am about to get some drills on transition (hopefully it goes well).

It is very important to have them assess movements through video before doing a lot of reps. Also good to have a mirror to make sure you are doing the movements correctly. You have to put in work to get to where you want. Can't just do a couple hundred reps and be good.

I'll post a backswing video to show some progress later.

I think things have been going well.
Good to hear (y)

Lots of reps and micromovements. I would suggest really working and getting each section before moving on because everything stacks on top of each other. Set up is pretty easy but when you get to take away and backswing there are different feels and positions to achieve. I would try each movement to see which feel gets you to where you want to be and then drill that move until it feels natural and you don't have to think about it.
Good! That is what I expected from your earlier comments and from reading Matt's responses to others, in various threads.

So for me I feel an oblique pull at the beginning of the backswing and that will feel will get me to the top of the backswing in a pretty good position.
I don't feel oblique pulls unless I do an arm-lift backswing. If I swing (rotate) mostly straight back, with little arm lift, I feel little to no oblique pull.

My gym has Keiser weight-training equipment. This stuff is neat in that it uses pneumatics, rather than plates, for resistance. One of the machines is a Keiser functional trainer. I'm going to put that bad boy to work on my obliques. Not so much to strengthen them, though that will happen, as to stretch and strengthen them.

It is very important to have them assess movements through video before doing a lot of reps.
Definitely. That's the advantage of working with TrueMotion as opposed to just watching videos.

Also good to have a mirror to make sure you are doing the movements correctly.
Have two of 'em :)

You have to put in work to get to where you want. Can't just do a couple hundred reps and be good.
*nod* That's the plan.

Re: Your "work in progress" video: Of course I'm no expert, but that looks pretty darn good to me!

Update! Sorry it has been so long. Holidays and my daughter had a birthday New Year’s Eve causes some chaos. I have gotten a pretty solid structured backswing going. I am working on transition now, which is taking longer than I thought.

I had more of a lateral slide push in transition and trying to get more of a rotational transition impact is more difficult to master. I have gotten good feed back and good feels from @TrueMotionMatt to get some checkpoints. Working through it is going pretty good. I am so used to hanging back and sliding the positions I am trying to get now feel a bit foreign. Fro instance, I feel I am getting 70% of my pressure forward on transition and it looks to be 50/50. When I try and feel 50/50 it looks like I am sitting back on my trail side too much. I also am having problems rotating through the shot can sliding, which is causing me to get dumped under plane.

Getting better though and hope to have this ironed out soon!

Update! Sorry it has been so long. Holidays and my daughter had a birthday New Year’s Eve causes some chaos. I have gotten a pretty solid structured backswing going. I am working on transition now, which is taking longer than I thought.

I had more of a lateral slide push in transition and trying to get more of a rotational transition impact is more difficult to master. I have gotten good feed back and good feels from @TrueMotionMatt to get some checkpoints. Working through it is going pretty good. I am so used to hanging back and sliding the positions I am trying to get now feel a bit foreign. Fro instance, I feel I am getting 70% of my pressure forward on transition and it looks to be 50/50. When I try and feel 50/50 it looks like I am sitting back on my trail side too much. I also am having problems rotating through the shot can sliding, which is causing me to get dumped under plane.

Getting better though and hope to have this ironed out soon!
You ARE getting better...Feel doesn't always = Real 👍

...Feel doesn't always = Real 👍
Ain't that the truth! :ROFLMAO:

Sent my initial videos in, earlier today. In reviewing them, myself, I already identified at least two swing flaws on my own. Can't wait for my assessment and improvement plan :D

I'm also working with @TrueMotionMatt & @TrueMotionTim for the last couple of weeks. Still working on my setup, it's been a tough week trying to find time and energy after going back to work.

Wednesday I sent my swing videos in for analysis and an action plan. Today I sent Matt some snaps of my setup stance and got some corrections back. Made the corrections & was told I was good to go. All this week I'll practice that setup stance several times a day. (I'll just make a habit of doing it every time I stand up.)

Side effect: My upper back, shoulders and neck have been bothering me for some time, now. With the stretches I started doing so I could get my upper back rounded, that's all gone!

Update: I am to a point where I am hitting balls. Really working on the backswing to get solid structure and being pretty automatic has helped with the downswing pivot.

I really had to figure out what I needed to do in the transition (pivot) to get the feels to achieve what I needed. There was a lot of trial and error for me but go constant feedback from @TrueMotionMatt to get me through it.

Some key points for me in the transition. Keeping my hands up more at the beginning. Staying in front bend through the transition and keeping balance points. Learning how to rotate through the shot was the hardest part I think. I was so used to firing from the right side and having a big lateral slide. Below is a before and after video. Full swing is still not full speed yet but it feels good.

View attachment IMG_3275.mov

I just know if I swung in my basement I am going to hit something LOL

Hope to get out this week and hit some real golf balls with the MIM tour 7 iron I have to see how the swing changes look.

So this will be my first dive into golf instruction of any sort. Never had an in person or online lesson. Figured since it is getting to cold to play might as well try them out. Working with @TrueMotionMatt to help get my game in shape for next season.

Only been about a week so far but Matt is very engaging and easy to reach. You can text him any thoughts and movements to make sure you are on track.
Right now we are working on getting the proper balance points in the set up and making a full turn without any unnecessary movement. Harder than you think when you have had something ingrained in your head for so long. All this is being done without a club at the moment. Trying to get the right feels and then drill it in for muscle memory.
We will see how it goes but so far so good.

We’re in the vetting process, local pro or TruMotion. It’s going to come down to what the kid wants but I will say they know their stuff.

Things are going pretty well right now indoors. It is supposed to be in the teens for the next week or two, so no going out to hit balls. I did have a range session but it was not very successful. I started getting back into old habits really quickly and stopped. Went back to set up, take away, and impact. Doing lots of reps with the no throw drill to try and get better impact position.

I think because I always slide and EE I would have to release all my angles early in the swing. Now I am trying to retain the angles through impact because my rotation is much better and I am using the ground instead of EE towards the ball. I just need a lot of reps to get it more ingrained in my swing. The lower body rotation has gotten much better. I still have trouble stalling out with my chest. Hopefully all the no throw drills will help with that.

All in all so far I think I have made good changes to become more consistent. I think it is still a ways to get ingrained to become more automatic. The website they have is getting more complete with micro motions and drills to get all the feels for the swing.

Things are going pretty well right now indoors. It is supposed to be in the teens for the next week or two, so no going out to hit balls. I did have a range session but it was not very successful. I started getting back into old habits really quickly and stopped. Went back to set up, take away, and impact. Doing lots of reps with the no throw drill to try and get better impact position.

I think because I always slide and EE I would have to release all my angles early in the swing. Now I am trying to retain the angles through impact because my rotation is much better and I am using the ground instead of EE towards the ball. I just need a lot of reps to get it more ingrained in my swing. The lower body rotation has gotten much better. I still have trouble stalling out with my chest. Hopefully all the no throw drills will help with that.

All in all so far I think I have made good changes to become more consistent. I think it is still a ways to get ingrained to become more automatic. The website they have is getting more complete with micro motions and drills to get all the feels for the swing.
I'm not quite in as far as you. Of course, I struggled quite a bit with my pivot so I'm still there trying to get that down. I did have some positive feedback on my submitted videos this week, so hopefully I can build on that. Good to hear yours is a positive experience as well!

I'm not quite in as far as you. Of course, I struggled quite a bit with my pivot so I'm still there trying to get that down. I did have some positive feedback on my submitted videos this week, so hopefully I can build on that. Good to hear yours is a positive experience as well!
The pivot down took awhile. I had to really focus on keeping my pelvis centered. Felt really different for awhile, but now it feels more natural. Good luck.

I'm still on my setup stance. About mid-way through the reps with a 7i. I should be a week further than I am, but, post-week-one I went to send in a video, took a photo, took one look and said to myself "That ain't at all right!", so I essentially did the first week all over again.

After that I've gotten in the habit of taking photos at several points throughout a segment and reviewing them--sometimes sending them to Matt for his input. The mirrors are great and all, but that camera, directly down-line, doesn't lie ;)

Luckily, was able to speed right through the grip thing, as that was essentially what I learned in the in-person class I took last July.

Been following along and am working on many of the same things as you. Very hard to break old habits, but your swing is looking really close! Fun following along so thanks for sharing it all, Will!

@MarMill @Duffer Seamus @H8tobogie What HC are you all beginning at? I finished the year at 13.2, but was low as an 11.5hc. Just curious as to what everyone's goal was.

@Qwkz51, my HC is unknown, but I guesstimate it's somewhere north of 40--and even that is probably optimistic ;). I just picked up golf in mid-June of 2020. My first game was nine holes in Sep. of 2020.

My stated goal was to get down to the low-to-mid 20's. Primary goal isn't particularly lofty: To not be the worst, slowest guy of the weekend golfers with whom I play, is all. @TrueMotionMatt expressed the belief they can get me down under 20 this coming season if I do my part.

@MarMill @Duffer Seamus @H8tobogie What HC are you all beginning at? I finished the year at 13.2, but was low as an 11.5hc. Just curious as to what everyone's goal was.
I am around an 11 and want to get to single digit, but more importantly, I want to get to where the game is just more consistent and fun for me.

I was right around an 8 going into the Morgan Cup. I hope to get more consistently playing in the 70’s without having that round of 92 sprinkled in.

Been following along and am working on many of the same things as you. Very hard to break old habits, but your swing is looking really close! Fun following along so thanks for sharing it all, Will!
Thanks for checking in. It’s going pretty well. Hope to get down to Texas and play with some of you guys this year.

Back