Ohio, Indiana & Surrounding Area chat thread

Had a great time with @Grins ans @Hamfist last Saturday. A little more subdued than The Match with Hammy a couple weeks ago, but still a super fun round.

Great guys that I’ll tee it up with anytime.
Yeah I got a little drunk during The Match.

So I’m on vacation this week looking to get over to Cleveland or Akron/Canton area Monday-Thursday to play one of the few courses I haven’t played yet. The three I’m thinking of are Manakiki, Pine Hills and Seven Hills. I love quirky layouts and hoping for some really fun greens to putt on. Any hidden gem suggestions? Definitely open to playing with anyone that’s up for it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be available to join you at Manakiki. Let me know what day/time you’re thinking.
Manakiki is probably the course I would most like to play I’m thinking like first thing Tuesday morning or maybe the afternoon just would like to avoid a 5+ hour round.

If you do anything early Tuesday, I’ll be in. I have a meeting in the afternoon that I probably shouldn’t miss.

Didn’t realize how cold it was going to be in the mid 40’s at 7. That’s fine in the middle of winter but I’m thinking I’m going to play my golf in the afternoon this week

Didn’t realize how cold it was going to be in the mid 40’s at 7. That’s fine in the middle of winter but I’m thinking I’m going to play my golf in the afternoon this week

We have tee times at 9:40AM tomorrow in the Youngstown area where I live. It will still be cold, but hopefully not too bad. Forecast is actually calling for patchy frost tonight! Long pants and a windbreaker tomorrow! Been a while for that!

And ivygolfer, I heartily recommend Manakiki. Have played there several times and love the course. Donald Ross design with probably just enough quirks to make you happy. The 18th green might be the smallest in NE Ohio.

Just curious, have you played Fowler's Mill, Punderson, Sleepy Hollow or Hawthorne Valley? Now that I think of it, I hope Hawthorne is still open! Or, how about Tanglewood National or Windmill Lakes?

We have tee times at 9:40AM tomorrow in the Youngstown area where I live. It will still be cold, but hopefully not too bad. Forecast is actually calling for patchy frost tonight! Long pants and a windbreaker tomorrow! Been a while for that!

And ivygolfer, I heartily recommend Manakiki. Have played there several times and love the course. Donald Ross design with probably just enough quirks to make you happy. The 18th green might be the smallest in NE Ohio.

Just curious, have you played Fowler's Mill, Punderson, Sleepy Hollow or Hawthorne Valley? Now that I think of it, I hope Hawthorne is still open! Or, how about Tanglewood National or Windmill Lakes?

Played every course but Punderson. I think Tanglewood has got to be the most underrated course in the area. Heard the conditions have improved a ton since I played. Ended up playing Roses Run this afternoon got a great deal on a tee time. Probably will end up playing Kensington possibly Thursday or maybe Flying B. Didn’t know anyone else on here was from the Youngstown area.

Manakiki is in fantastic shape right now!

Anyone on Grint play in any events? Saw this one in Columbus and considering going down to play some real tournament competitive golf.
41FE0F92-83F1-4E4E-A910-126305EF9229.jpeg

Anyone on Grint play in any events? Saw this one in Columbus and considering going down to play some real tournament competitive golf.
View attachment 8963552

I'm assuming this is only for Grint users in Ohio? i tried to check their website, but it shows nothing about it. Would love to play in this.

I'm assuming this is only for Grint users in Ohio? i tried to check their website, but it shows nothing about it. Would love to play in this.

I just got an email today from them. 40 spots available, I think I’m gonna go for it.

I got it as well. I'll wait for the full Tour next year.

The full tour will be awesome being able to accumulate points. So cool to have something like that for handicappers of all kinds.

I just got an email today from them. 40 spots available, I think I’m gonna go for it.
You'll have to let us know how it is. I like the fact they have higher handicap categories. It might be fun to do next year once I see how they work.

The full tour will be awesome being able to accumulate points. So cool to have something like that for handicappers of all kinds.
Absolutely. Normally there's nothing for us hackers.

Anyone have any course recommendations between Cleveland and Columbus? Somewhere in the middle of it preferably. $40-$60 range.

Anyone have any course recommendations between Cleveland and Columbus? Somewhere in the middle of it preferably. $40-$60 range.

Virtues Golf Club is a must play! It is closer to Columbus.

Haven’t played it but Deer Ridge in Belleville is right off 71. Probably about right where you would want to stop. I know everyone that’s played it speaks highly of it still on my list to get to.

Virtues Golf Club is a must play! It is closer to Columbus.

I would second this, but may be a stretch to stay in the $40-$60 range there. If you can find that price on golfnow, etc., JUMP on it.

Haven’t played it but Deer Ridge in Belleville is right off 71. Probably about right where you would want to stop. I know everyone that’s played it speaks highly of it still on my list to get to.

Deer Ridge is a fun course to play. Also Virtues would be another choice.

is there a phone number or email address on that flyer @Nate<80? If so can you post I’m wanting to see if it’s only for Ohio residents.

In the 40 to 60 range I would go with Deer Ridge or Denison Golf Club. Both are really good and probably nearer the 40 end of the spectrum. Virtues would be the top choice but it (more than likley) is going to be closer to 75-100. Apple Valley near Mount Vernon would be another solid choice.

Back