Oklahoma Onion Burgers

Reading this thread - that's a beautiful stovetop you have. I'm absolutely jealous of it!

I'll have to try those burgers sometime, I've made ones similar but maybe not identical to them.
Thanks. When we built our home I insisted on a 48” stove with a griddle. I’m the cook and I love it.

They were originally called Depression Burgers from the Great Depression

They’re amazing.

Kind of like "wedding soup" in my area. It's a staple appetizer at any Italian resaurant, but you will never see it served at an Italian wedding! My Mom told me that it should be called Depression Soup, because that's where it came from. It was a way to stretch things. Chop up the leafy tops from celery, and other greens you may have had. Boil the bones of the last chicken you ate to make broth. Roll the last of the ground meat into tiny, little meatballs to make that last. Then add a little orzo pasta, and there's your "wedding" soup.

But, since I absolutely love onions, I would surely try these. Thing is, I have no use for those insipid, sweet, "Vidalia" type onions! I want an onion with some backbone! I want an onion that will make me cry when I cut or chop it. I want an onion that will hurt me a little! Usually, when I go to a burger joint, NOT fast food, I tell them I want a cheeseburger with a 1/4" thick slab of raw onion riding on that burger! I want it to be a big part of the experience!

Onions are salted and sitting to draw out the moisture!
2C734925-083A-4E91-9A98-9D416DDE5E8C.jpeg

Gives new meaning to “where the wind comes sweeping down the plain”!!

Back