Oklahoma Onion Burgers

These are the two juggernauts apparently. What’s better about each?!
I was in college and Johnny's was cheap and affordable for me. What was really funny there was 2 Johnny's in town each was owned by separate people. Got a little confusing when you said lets eat there.🤣
Sids is really good too. I just have better memories of eating at the other.

Also, every year El Reno has “Onion Fried Burger Days” with a massive car show, drags, and a ton of other things all through town and annually makes the worlds biggest onion fried burger, that is in total like 700 lbs, bun abs all.

@Jman I was shocked Johnny's has a food truck they take to events now. It was at OSU walk around last year(2019) line was about 30 people deep.

Never heard of it previously but will now be trying it.

I need to stop looking at the Food threads at a certain point each night. I'm ready to fire up the stove and make some burgers...but its 10:18 🤷‍♂️

@Jman I was shocked Johnny's has a food truck they take to events now. It was at OSU walk around last year(2019) line was about 30 people deep.
That’s smart as hell of them, and means I wouldn’t have to go back to El Ghetto! :ROFLMAO:

I do a ton of cooking. So when we built the house I insisted on having a 48” 6 burner stove and griddle.

I believe I’ve stated this before, but if you don’t remember it...

You da man!

😂

I've done that with burgers, and we love to do that to pork chops - smothering them in onions, rosemary, and garlic.

I need to stop looking at the Food threads at a certain point each night. I'm ready to fire up the stove and make some burgers...but its 10:18 🤷‍♂️

I’ll meet you in your 2021 thread and (beat)talk some sense into you man!

Me too though ;(

I’ll always be an inner fat boy. I want my deep fried butter, buttered please?

Never tried this before but it's now on the to-do list for the near future, that looks amazing!

I have only had onion burgers once in el Reno. Can’t remember the place but in Norman the best we have is Tuckers onion burger. Not too bad and the fries are legit.

Also, every year El Reno has “Onion Fried Burger Days” with a massive car show, drags, and a ton of other things all through town and annually makes the worlds biggest onion fried burger, that is in total like 700 lbs, bun abs all.
Sounds like a good time to me!

I have only had onion burgers once in el Reno. Can’t remember the place but in Norman the best we have is Tuckers onion burger. Not too bad and the fries are legit.

I once shot a man in el Reno just because he wouldn’t give me his onion burger?

Doesn’t sound right.

I once shot a man in el Reno just because he wouldn’t give me his onion burger?

Doesn’t sound right.
Close enough? Haha...

Weird Al might be giving you a call though.

The key is the burger. It has to be thin with crisp edges. I slice the onions on a mandolin and get them as thin as I can. Tip: use bacon grease!

Wrong thread but due to the post drive my unread posts have shot up into my wedge spin category, 112k or so, lol.

I’ve got review stuff to sort out. I keep being distracted. Ex wife perturbing me and other type things.

Anybody make Oklahoma Onion Burgers before? I just learned of them yesterday and gave it a shot for supper tonight. Super simple to throw together, and quick too!

I used 80/20 ground beef, yellow onions, brioche bun and topped with mustard, pickles and cheese. Salt and pepper to season while beef was cooking.

I really liked them! I’ll definitely be making again!

I’ll have to snap a photo next time... they disappeared before I had a chance!

just looked them up...looks awesome and I gotta make them!!!

Alright this thread inspired me, so on the menu tonight, Onion Burgers!! I'll report back how it went later tonight!

Alright this thread inspired me, so on the menu tonight, Onion Burgers!! I'll report back how it went later tonight!
I picked up more beef so I could make them again this weekend too!

These sound fantastic, we do something similar but not with the onion in the patty. That would make it so much better charred properly.

Ok, tried these tonight and they were amazing!! The flavor of the onions, melted into the burger, and what a combination it was. Went a bit thinner on the patty, but I think that made it better. My wife took her first bite, and said "wow!" Thanks for letting me in on this secret!!

But it does beg the question, what else are your southerners keeping hidden from us northerners?? 🤣

I might be allowed in the house until the onion smell goes away so I will have to try this on the grill. These look delicious.

I might be allowed in the house until the onion smell goes away so I will have to try this on the grill. These look delicious.
[/QUOTE
Unless you have an outdoor griddle it will be hard to get the thin burger, and the thin onion combination. Part of the flavor is the grease from the burgers on the griddle/cast iron pan that caramelize the onions and steam the buns.

Just open the windows, its worth it!

Back