Oklahoma Onion Burgers

I might be allowed in the house until the onion smell goes away so I will have to try this on the grill. These look delicious.
My mom first started using diced onions mixed with the beef so that they could be grilled outside, but it isn’t the same. I recommend using a griddle or cast iron skillet outside on the grill and do the real deal; the diced onion burgers aren’t the same. You can get close to the flavor using diced onions as long as you make the burgers really thin so that you can get a lot of onions carmelized/charred.

Last edited:
Ok, tried these tonight and they were amazing!! The flavor of the onions, melted into the burger, and what a combination it was. Went a bit thinner on the patty, but I think that made it better. My wife took her first bite, and said "wow!" Thanks for letting me in on this secret!!

But it does beg the question, what else are your southerners keeping hidden from us northerners?? 🤣
What else did you put on the burgers?

I have only had onion burgers once in el Reno. Can’t remember the place but in Norman the best we have is Tuckers onion burger. Not too bad and the fries are legit.

I’m a big fan of Tuckers!

What else did you put on the burgers?
I seasoned the patty with a little salt, pepper, and brown sugar. I added a little ketchup and mustard once it was done.

I do a ton of cooking. So when we built the house I insisted on having a 48” 6 burner stove and griddle.
If I ever won the lottery I would have a full on waffle house style griddle in my kitchen. I love cooking on a griddle.

Anybody make Oklahoma Onion Burgers before? I just learned of them yesterday and gave it a shot for supper tonight. Super simple to throw together, and quick too!

I used 80/20 ground beef, yellow onions, brioche bun and topped with mustard, pickles and cheese. Salt and pepper to season while beef was cooking.

I really liked them! I’ll definitely be making again!

I’ll have to snap a photo next time... they disappeared before I had a chance!
Best way to make them, Even if you use Impossible meat....gotta pass on the Brioche Bun though.....

Looks like an oversized White Castle burger to me ... so I'm all in!

Best way to make them, Even if you use Impossible meat....gotta pass on the Brioche Bun though.....
What kind of bun would you want it on?

I am a big fan of dicing onions and using that with salt, pepper, paprika and worcestershire sauce to form the patties.

I usually use any plain hamburger bun, because it's going to get steamed anyway and to have them nice and soft is a plus.

A potato roll is what I have always used. If you can find "Martin's" they are the bomb, but I just grab whatever potato roll I see at the local grocer.

I'd definitely try it on a potato roll! When I was at the bakery though they didn't have any, and their brioche looked to be the best option of what was available.

I'm thinking a King's Hawaiian bun would go great for this burger.

I'm usually a fan of onion rolls for burgers, but for this one I think either a King's or a plain white burger bun would be good. Both are soft and would steam up nice.

I'm thinking a King's Hawaiian bun would go great for this burger.

I'm usually a fan of onion rolls for burgers, but for this one I think either a King's or a plain white burger bun would be good. Both are soft and would steam up nice.
Wow good idea! I usually buy a pack at Christmas so I can have leftover turkey on them...

Wow good idea! I usually buy a pack at Christmas so I can have leftover turkey on them...
My wife and I refer to anything from King's as "crack", because they're so addictive!

My wife and I refer to anything from King's as "crack", because they're so addictive!
I can see that! Probably has something to do with all the sugar in them! That's why I save the indulgence for once a year.

Oklahoma onion burgers tonight for me. Regular burgers for the weird family members.
4AA3CF2F-59E9-4E40-8FDE-0B2E9E7CD1FE.jpeg

I'm a huge fan of the Oklahoma Onion burger. I have never had a real one, only those I've made at home. The way the onions cook into the burger and carmelize is where its at. Gets my vote for favorite burger!

Bumping this thread for national cheeseburger day tomorrow 😋

Bumping this thread for national cheeseburger day tomorrow 😋
Thank you! I know what we are making tomorrow night. Oklahoma onion burgers are the best!

Thank you! I know what we are making tomorrow night. Oklahoma onion burgers are the best!
Reading this thread - that's a beautiful stovetop you have. I'm absolutely jealous of it!

I'll have to try those burgers sometime, I've made ones similar but maybe not identical to them.

Back