OldandStiff's search for iron graphite!

👍 It's felt good. Strong but smooth. I can get out of it a bit as the round goes on, but some of it is daily big changes from last year so that's probably to be expected. Been trying to hit the range every now and then to reinforce and remind. I do think it'll end up being a little faster than that overall though. That's just more natural for me.
How much if any do you think it’s the shaft helping maintain a smooth tempo? There are certain shafts I’ve played that have forced me to make adjustments that end up making my tempo smooth out more.

I am looking forward to that. Based on reading I'm getting that the Darts may not launch as high. But feel is also important and while I don't hate the steelfiber for feel, the Proto's were phenomenal in that regard and I'm feeling like the Dart might give me that same type of feel especially with that little kick at point of impact

I am not looking in the weight range that you are but I found the SF i95s to launch pretty low compared to Recoil 95s and some lighter Darts I am playing.

How much if any do you think it’s the shaft helping maintain a smooth tempo? There are certain shafts I’ve played that have forced me to make adjustments that end up making my tempo smooth out more.
Overall quite a bit. The whole reason I went down the slower road was because I was playing $ Taper 120 for a while. Not a perfect fit and they just don't like me being aggressive. So I had to focus on it more.

As far as with these, some definitely respond to and require different things from me. The MMT 125TX liked a smooth tempo from me.

Did you get 8? Or just 1?
I paid for the one to try. Go from there. No way I'm buying a full set of those things blind. They're stupid expensive.

20230516_184035.jpg

Quick compare at the end of the day. Darts are in my other bag so I didn't get to put them in the mix. Bottom chart is me hitting my Z Forged II irons. I tried to move them around for a full spread. The Axiom too. The others less so.

Decisions are so hard.

Edit: sorry, my Z forged have the i110cw X in them in preparation for my Morgan Cup order. That's what will be in those.

Last edited:
View attachment 9179077

Quick compare at the end of the day. Darts are in my other bag so I didn't get to put them in the mix. Bottom chart is me hitting my Z Forged II irons. I tried to move them around for a full spread. The Axiom too. The others less so.

Decisions are so hard.
Is this the axiom?

My decision tree is not so scientific ...

Does Ping carry Dart 90 Tapers in the i230?

Yes.

Let's do it then.

Done.:LOL:

Personally, I think the first is the best. I am guessing these are 7 irons?
Yeah. My knee is a mess so I'm having to come at things from a little different position right now. A bit Bubba throwing my upper body/arms at it type thing to keep from getting weight on it. Not sure if that's leveling results a bit or not.

But here's where I'm at on a couple things - I can absolutely play Steelfiber. No issues. 125, 110, neither one really throws me off. I did real well yesterday from this weird position. They just work for me.

The Axiom are really interesting. More release than I expected and don't mimic steel as effectively but have something to them. I keep being surprised by results.

I have the Darts in my brain now. As long as I know they're what's in my hands I can play them okay. I struggle with consistency and dispersion but the front to back is more under control now.

The top one.. that'll be for future conversation.

Been in the i110cw X for what feels like quite a while now. Like to think I'm used to it. Not entirely sure it's the best fit for me overall, but I've had some good rounds with them.

Anyway, I wanted to talk about something I see in this vid.

I had a hard work day, and was not moving well at this point. Really put the stiff in OldandStiff. And when I do that I can really stress a shaft. Get a little herky jerky. But despite that..

20230613_095359.jpg

at the stress points that shaft is hardly deflecting at all. Which is kind of crazy to me. That's a 250y 4 iron on soft fairways swing and almost nothing. I can see why some people wouldn't enjoy that.

A little flex there, but not much.
Does it feel "boardy" or are you ok with it?

Got a question for ya; where is the strike point on your club face, vertically?
What groove is the ball centered on?

A little flex there, but not much.
Does it feel "boardy" or are you ok with it?

Got a question for ya; where is the strike point on your club face, vertically?
What groove is the ball centered on?
Well I looked at it specifically yesterday on video because I'm really not moving well right now (worse today) and feeling a lot less fluid physically did seem to make it feel a little lacking in feel while I was out there yesterday. Which can tend to make people do some not great things in their swing.

Haha I've posted quite a few of those for some thread fun. Strike point for me - I generally stay off the bottom groove. They stay pretty clean. Maybe a groove higher than some which I think is partly from playing blades so much. And part of why they suit me well. I can move it down to kick up spin if I need to buy the meat of them isn't where a lot of people live.

Haha I've posted quite a few of those for some thread fun. Strike point for me - I generally stay off the bottom groove. They stay pretty clean. Maybe a groove higher than some which I think is partly from playing blades so much. And part of why they suit me well. I can move it down to kick up spin if I need to buy the meat of them isn't where a lot of people live.
Thanks. I've been trying to move my point of impact down a groove. Centered on third groove instead of fourth.
Not going real well; intermittent success.

Hope your swing gets "loosened" up!

Well I looked at it specifically yesterday on video because I'm really not moving well right now (worse today) and feeling a lot less fluid physically did seem to make it feel a little lacking in feel while I was out there yesterday. Which can tend to make people do some not great things in their swing.

I sooo miss the ability to move contact point around Clubface for different flight path, good on you for being able to do it.

Well I started putting a new set together, and also grabbed an old set with some heavy steel in them and proceeded to set the world on fire with them in limited use. So that's.. annoying. 🤨

Last edited:
Well I started putting a new set together, and also grabbed a set old set with some heavy steel in them and proceeded to set the world on fire with them in limited use. So that's.. annoying. 🤨
Well that's a tease, what were they?

The question I have is how does your body feel after putting steel back in play? I’ve been tempted to get an old set with steel just to be able to tinker around between the two but my arm joints are protesting. I’ve been in graphite over a year now.

Back