OldandStiff's search for iron graphite!

The question I have is how does your body feel after putting steel back in play? I’ve been tempted to get an old set with steel just to be able to tinker around between the two but my arm joints are protesting. I’ve been in graphite over a year now.
I've been kind of testing that this morning. Twisting the forearms when picking things up, bump testing the arthritis on things, etc.. I'm not really feeling it, but except for a couple none has been off a mat. And it's rained here recently and everything is real soft. I know it's I had hot more off the mat I would have felt it near immediately. That's why I didn't. And why I'm sticking with graphite. Also figure prolonged course use would start to show itself again too . Can't lose sight of the goal, just annoying when you put clubs that are pretty foreign in your hands but with a familiar feel, and live on the button, in the windows, and all over the pin.

Can't lose sight of the goal, just annoying when you put clubs that are pretty foreign in your hands but with a familiar feel, and live on the button, in the windows, and all over the pin.
Hears to hoping you find it with graphite. Playing well is nice but using your arms in 10 years is important too 😜

What shaft is on deck?

Hears to hoping you find it with graphite. Playing well is nice but using your arms in 10 years is important too 😜

What shaft is on deck?
Just a full set with the i125X. It's going to have to wait to be put in play though. Things coming up the next couple weeks so don't want to throw things off bouncing between stuff. Dial mode.

Like the i110cw X in my irons. Want to go graphite in the wedges too. I practice and play the wedges more than anything. A lot more shots and impacts. I have never had anything as lighter as 110g in my wedges before and I really worry about that, especially with something with as little feel and deflection as Steelfiber. Ideally I'd just do i125, but I find them to be pretty different. 🤔

I practice and play the wedges more than anything. A lot more shots and impacts.
This is such a good point and also true for myself. Since my club has the 100y short game area I’m always banging away on wedges. The DG’s have always been great feel wise for me but if I’m serious about maintaining my wrists and elbows I’m going to need to make a move.

Like the i110cw X in my irons. Want to go graphite in the wedges too. I practice and play the wedges more than anything. A lot more shots and impacts. I have never had anything as lighter as 110g in my wedges before and I really worry about that, especially with something with as little feel and deflection as Steelfiber. Ideally I'd just do i125, but I find them to be pretty different. 🤔

Thanks for continuing this thread. I'm an aggressive swinger in my 40's and really want to make the switch to graphite.

Serious question…. Why would you differ from your iron shaft in all your wedges? I understand you might tip them to handle head weight. But if you like the feel. Why not keep the consistency?

I don’t know how available they are but steelfiber makes wedge shafts up to 130:

I almost bought a few off fleabay to try

Serious question…. Why would you differ from your iron shaft in all your wedges? I understand you might tip them to handle head weight. But if you like the feel. Why not keep the consistency?
Well the same reason wedge shafts in general are usually heavier. At less than full swing speed, which is a lot of wedge shots, more weight and more feel tend to help with dispersion and consistency. Light and stiff is kind of the opposite feel we usually go for. Tends to make small movements less fluid.

Edit: I ordered some 125s for them. We'll see how it goes.

Well the same reason wedge shafts in general are usually heavier. At less than full swing speed, which is a lot of wedge shots, more weight and more feel tend to help with dispersion and consistency. Light and stiff is kind of the opposite feel we usually go for. Tends to make small movements less fluid.

Makes some sense. I’m trying to get my head around why I hit wedges so good but spray irons all over.

Makes some sense. I’m trying to get my head around why I hit wedges so good but spray irons all over.
You're a pretty big guy, maybe some more weight would help you? You've got a great friend group out there. Just start hitting everyone's irons and see if you notice anything.

You're a pretty big guy, maybe some more weight would help you? You've got a great friend group out there. Just start hitting everyone's irons and see if you notice anything.
@sweetnlow5 saw me hit the king CB. It was good that one time.

@sweetnlow5 saw me hit the king CB. It was good that one time.

No in all seriousness, that's cool. Is that something you've noticed before with other people's irons that are a little heavier than yours? I think my teammate @sweetnlow5 has the 110 S? If so the 110g gratitude 5 that's probably top 2 for less feel, so it's be curious to see you in someone at that weight that's a little more normal.

No in all seriousness, that's cool. Is that something you've noticed before with other people's irons that are a little heavier than yours? I think my teammate @sweetnlow5 has the 110 S? If so the 110g gratitude 5 that's probably top 2 for less feel, so it's be curious to see you in someone at that weight that's a little more normal.

Yessir, steelfiber 110 stiff in the CB’s. I agree with you though… something in the weight range with some more feel is something to look at for him.

Yessir, steelfiber 110 stiff in the CB’s. I agree with you though… something in the weight range with some more feel is something to look at for him.

Too be fair, wedge shafts are also much shorter, so going off just the weight listed isn't really telling the full story. Heavy doesnt necessarily mean better dispersion for all golfers.

Too be fair, wedge shafts are also much shorter, so going off just the weight listed isn't really telling the full story. Heavy doesnt necessarily mean better dispersion for all golfers.
I didn't say it did, but relative to a set wedge transition to a specialty wedge next in line isn't much shorter either. Quarter inch usually. Unless you're playing a 130g shaft in your irons anyone who plays a stock Vokey, TM, etc is playing a heavier shaft in their wedge. I think there's some benefit to it for a lot of people and there's obviously some convenience involved for companies on that. I think it's cool there are more options recently to find a closer balance, and I'm really curious to see how it's going to work for people in the new Apex with the 115 Mid being a stock offering and them having a 115g DG wedge shaft. Unfortunately with the Steelfiber i there's just the two options near that weight region and one's lighter than I've ever played in wedges by a lot.

I didn't say it did, but relative to a set wedge transition to a specialty wedge next in line isn't much shorter either. Quarter inch usually. Unless you're playing a 130g shaft in your irons anyone who plays a stock Vokey, TM, etc is playing a heavier shaft in their wedge. I think there's some benefit to it for a lot of people and there's obviously some convenience involved for companies on that. I think it's cool there are more options recently to find a closer balance, and I'm really curious to see how it's going to work for people in the new Apex with the 115 Mid being a stock offering and them having a 115g DG wedge shaft. Unfortunately with the Steelfiber i there's just the two options near that weight region and one's lighter than I've ever played in wedges by a lot.
I played Nippon modus 115 in my wedges. Currently I have all my wedges in matching recoil f3 95.
Although my 60 is tipped to handle the weight of that tour raw head.

in the past heavier shaft weight above 105 is not good for me.
But the notion that a higher swing weight, might be good for me. Could be onto something.

I played Nippon modus 115 in my wedges. Currently I have all my wedges in matching recoil f3 95.
Although my 60 is tipped to handle the weight of that tour raw head.

in the past heavier shaft weight above 105 is not good for me.
But the notion that a higher swing weight, might be good for me. Could be onto something.
For me when shafts get too light my hands take over too much.

I can't do the lightweight wedge shafts either. I think you'll like the i125s in your wedges @OldandStiff. I tried the SF reserve 130 wedge shafts and while they were fine, I found them to be a bit softer than the i125Xs and my dispersion wasn't as good. I went back to S400 since I like the heavier weight and my dispersion is a lot better now. I've also tried the MMT wedge shafts and had a similar experience.

If the i125 is too much of a jump then maybe the FC 115 would be a better fit with the i110s. A bit heavier but supposedly lower flight in the wedges.

I'm planning to order the new Apex irons with some Recoil Prototype 125X shafts sight unseen. I'm getting fit in a couple of weeks to decide where to combo the irons, but I doubt they will have the heavy-weight Recoils for testing. I figure I may as well give these a shot since these are the only stock heavy graphite options currently available. If I don't like them then I'll just swap them out for my current Steelfibers.

The good news is I really like the Recoil 110 shaft in some old Cobra MBs I have, but found them just a bit light for my taste. I've heard these are quite different so we'll see.

@OldandStiff what's the latest on your graphite adventures?

I'm planning to order the new Apex irons with some Recoil Prototype 125X shafts sight unseen. I'm getting fit in a couple of weeks to decide where to combo the irons, but I doubt they will have the heavy-weight Recoils for testing. I figure I may as well give these a shot since these are the only stock heavy graphite options currently available. If I don't like them then I'll just swap them out for my current Steelfibers.

The good news is I really like the Recoil 110 shaft in some old Cobra MBs I have, but found them just a bit light for my taste. I've heard these are quite different so we'll see.

@OldandStiff what's the latest on your graphite adventures?
I saw that the 110 and 125 Protos were available in the new series. $60 up if I recall. They are quite different than the Steelfiber but if you got along with them before it could be great. Have to wait, or maybe try tomorrow, though if you're ordering any CBs. They've had trouble with their system on that.

It's fine. I ordered some 125 to try on the wedges. 95 for my UT. See how that goes with they get here and I get them built.

I just ordered the new Dart V Concept Wedge shafts, they get here tomorrow…

I prefer the lighter shafts (110~) last steel I had were PX 6.0’s loved them but…elbow and wrist pain and shoulder….like all…

will gladly share findings, and like you my wedges get a TON of play!!!

I saw that the 110 and 125 Protos were available in the new series. $60 up if I recall. They are quite different than the Steelfiber but if you got along with them before it could be great. Have to wait, or maybe try tomorrow, though if you're ordering any CBs. They've had trouble with their system on that.

It's fine. I ordered some 125 to try on the wedges. 95 for my UT. See how that goes with they get here and I get them built.

Yeah I don't recall seeing these available when I ordered my TCBs. I'll see if they have these for testing when I get fit in a couple weeks. I'm waiting to hit the 3 heads to place the order so I have a bit of time.

As for your wedges/UT - are those the Recoil Protos? If yes, would be cool to hear your thoughts. My wrist injury flared up again after hitting 25-30 gap wedge shots the other day with my S400 shafts. Can't be 100% sure that it's related but I'm now thinking about going back to graphite in my wedges.

Yeah I don't recall seeing these available when I ordered my TCBs. I'll see if they have these for testing when I get fit in a couple weeks. I'm waiting to hit the 3 heads to place the order so I have a bit of time.

As for your wedges/UT - are those the Recoil Protos? If yes, would be cool to hear your thoughts. My wrist injury flared up again after hitting 25-30 gap wedge shots the other day with my S400 shafts. Can't be 100% sure that it's related but I'm now thinking about going back to graphite in my wedges.
No they're Steelfiber. I don't get along with.. well Recoils in general I guess. I've tried the protos in the past and have tried to make the Dart Vs work more recently. Paint the SF in my irons so going to try to match that feel a bit throughout.

I notice the difference after that many shots between steel and graphite so I wouldn't doubt it.

Back