Oldest Course You've Ever Played

San Marcos in Chandler AZ. The first green grass golf course in Arizona. Built in 1913.

I live in the south eastern part of PA, so we have our fair share of old courses in fact we have Galen hall with one of the first island greens in the country (1910). Bershire cc 1903, Cobbs creek 1916, and a bunch in the 20's but the oldest course that i played so far would be Van Courtland (1895) in the Bronx. That was an awesome day too, rode the subway with my clubs from my Times Square hotel room up through Harlem, got out and played this fantastic course stuck in the middle of this CITY. It was too cool, still had the Babe's locker there in upstairs club house.

Great Southern in Gulfport, MS. The first nine was designed by Donald Ross and opened in 1908. He also designed the second nine which opened for play in 1921.

Last edited:
Ravisloe CC - 1901 by Donald Ross....and my old club down at home, Kankakee Country Club - 1916 by Tom Bendelow

Hot Springs CC in Hot Springs, AR. 1897, I think.

Ottawa Park in Toledo - first 9 completed in 1899, went to 18 in 1920 and hosted the very first US Amateur Public Links Championship in 1922. That tournament is coming back in 2022 for the 100th anniversary.

Del Monte Golf Course, opened in 1897 :oops:

Vesper Country Club in Tyngsboro, where at least some of the holes date back to 1895 (Donald Ross won an event there in 1905). We've got no shortage of old golf courses up in New England. The little muni where I play a lot of my golf opened in 1921.

A local course (Elks CC) that’s a Donald Ross design built in the 1920’s

Penobscot CC, 1924 Donald Ross course and Kebo Valley CC in Bar Harbor, formed in 1888 with the course opening in 1891. Only 7 older courses in the United States than Kebo.

1895, oldest public course in the U.S.

Van Cortlandt, in 'da Bronx.

Next oldest for me is 1901 and also in the Bronx, the Pelham and Split Rock courses.

My oldest is Patty Jewett in Colorado Springs (1898) the third oldest west of the Mississippi.

I still haven't played Overland Park in Denver which dates to 1895 and is supposedly the oldest west of the Mississippi. It used to be the original Denver Country Club. Now it doesn't even rank as the top City owned golf course.

Well I can update my oldest course ever played now. I played the Belleair Country Club in Belleaiir, Florida today. It is the oldest course in Florida established in 1897 and a fun course.

Pinehurst -Founded 1895

I used to play one in middle of rural Napa County that originally opened for play in 1891. Aetna Springs. It just recently closed down for good. It was a fun little nine hole course. Had a lot of character. I kind of miss it sometimes.

I'll be playing Del Monte in Monterey next month. That one is pretty old too. 1897 I saw posted here earlier?

St. Andrews, but in my case it was The New Course (built in 1895).

Van Cortland, 1895 and Forest Park, NY, 1896. However both were substantially renovated in the 1930s.

Without knowing the history of many courses I play it is hard to say. For sure Fall River Country Club, 1895 and Sakonnet Golf Club, 1899. These courses have been played by the likes of Harry Vardon, Frances Ouimet, Bobby Jones....I try to keep that in mind as I play and i find knowing a bit of the rich history really changes the playing experience

The Old Course in St. Andrews Scotland

Without knowing the history of many courses I play it is hard to say. For sure Fall River Country Club, 1895 and Sakonnet Golf Club, 1899. These courses have been played by the likes of Harry Vardon, Frances Ouimet, Bobby Jones....I try to keep that in mind as I play and i find knowing a bit of the rich history really changes the playing experience
IMG_13031.jpg

"THE" Old Course

Back