One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

For a few of the early years of releases the lower lofted irons were harder to elevate. I haven’t personally seen that issue with the RADSpeed. While what the store said is not necessarily untrue from a pure technical sense, there is a lot more to it than that.

Graphite by design doesn’t make a club launch Higher, it can but so can steel. Personally what we have found is a ball change could as well. Lower lofts reduce spin, which in turn can reduce launch. Even with weight deep and low.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that you can’t make a generalization between graphite and steel (though that’s exactly what the guys did on the Ping and Callaway demo days). What I was asking is whether there is anything in general I could expect from the stock graphite shafts for the Radspeed OL vs. the stock steel shafts. Assume a 7iron club speed of about 82 mph.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that you can’t make a generalization between graphite and steel (though that’s exactly what the guys did on the Ping and Callaway demo days). What I was asking is whether there is anything in general I could expect from the stock graphite shafts for the Radspeed OL vs. the stock steel shafts. Assume a 7iron club speed of about 82 mph.
You might see a touch more launch out of stock graphite based on what is standard.

GW is OL
56 is OL
62 is variable. It’s not used for any full swings
I'm attempting to make this a statement but it's also kind of a question... On a normal shot, one length clubs are all gripped at length (no choking up an inch to take 5 yards off) played with the same ball position and you would ideally vary the club choice, swing speed and/or swing length to produce flighting and your desired shot distance.

@Canadan taking cuts in a little 3 wood project

932BE462-46C6-4194-87FA-F561B50A1A00.jpeg

@JB Now posting this as a question - On a normal shot, one length clubs are all gripped at length (no choking up an inch to take 5 yards off) played with the same ball position and you would ideally vary the club choice, swing speed and/or swing length to produce flighting and your desired shot distance?

How did you trim it? I wouldn't think 9 inches off the butt end would be the recipe.

In this instance, an inch off the tip and the rest off the butt.

@JB Now posting this as a question - On a normal shot, one length clubs are all gripped at length (no choking up an inch to take 5 yards off) played with the same ball position and you would ideally vary the club choice, swing speed and/or swing length to produce flighting and your desired shot distance?
Not JB obviously, however I do the exact same thing with my OL clubs that I did with my VL clubs in terms of partial shots etc. I’m not skilled enough to hit a cut or draw on demand, but I do practice partial swings or slower swings to vary distance.

Hope that answers the question.

Well, looks like I’m going to find out what it’s like to go OL around the green.

Just ordered the Rad SW to match the rest of my set, my GW is 48* so I ordered it 1* strong at 53*. Then I added a new OL Snakebite 56 versatile 1* weak, at 57*. I will be full OL from 5i- PW (42.5) GW (48) SW (53) and LW (57)... Went graphite shafts, 780 Smacwrap in the SW to match the rest of my set, and Recoil 95 in the snakebite.

I’m really tempted to add a OL 4H here at some point, if I can find one to try in LH.

Not JB obviously, however I do the exact same thing with my OL clubs that I did with my VL clubs in terms of partial shots etc. I’m not skilled enough to hit a cut or draw on demand, but I do practice partial swings or slower swings to vary distance.

Hope that answers the question.
So it's play the ball in one position in your stance but still have some amount of change gripping up or varying swing?

So it's play the ball in one position in your stance but still have some amount of change gripping up or varying swing?
If I must take off a few yards, I play it in the same position and same swing and just grip down an inch or so. Honestly, if I need to take off 5 yards, I usually just swing normal and figure a slight mishit will be perfect but if I hit it pure, I will just be a little long. In other words, I don’t grip down too often.

Went graphite shafts, 780 Smacwrap in the SW to match the rest of my set, and Recoil 95 in the snakebite.

I’m really tempted to add a OL 4H here at some point, if I can find one to try in LH.

I didn’t think Cobra was making the Recoils available in the Snakebites?

I didn’t think Cobra was making the Recoils available in the Snakebites?
If you custom build one on the Cobra site, you can pick a graphite option, with Recoils or Aerotech steelfiber shafts.

I do move the ball some, choke down some, use some Pelz actions- same thing that I did with my VL set. Legitimately I do nothing different with my OL set than I did with my VL set, except on stock shots the ball is positioned like a 7i.

It’s a driver shaft...just very short
9" short is wedge length right? 45"-9" = 36" which is close depending on where you started. Is this going to be a THP video soon? I want to see it.

9" short is wedge length right? 45"-9" = 36" which is close depending on where you started. Is this going to be a THP video soon? I want to see it.

The length is setup to the same as my OL set. So around 8 iron length.
This is something we are did (and I have done) that is supposed to be an extreme to show how different OL club heads are to variable and just chopping length off, won't have the same impact. Instead, weight must be added and done so in the right place to create a similar head.

This is something we are did (and I have done) that is supposed to be an extreme to show how different OL club heads are to variable and just chopping length off, won't have the same impact. Instead, weight must be added and done so in the right place to create a similar head.
Awesome!!! That is really cool and makes sense. I figured outside of the typical +/- 1" or +/- 1.5* adjustments fitters make clubs just aren't suited to that type of major adjustment.

I finished my u try 14 day with these as a high handicapper. I played a round with them, played x golf simulator with them, and compared numbers side by side with my variable length cheap-o gigagolfs. As much as I wanted to like them, I just saw no significant advantages in either distance or consistency. This could 100% be my fault because I'm not an insanely good ball striker, but overall I just never really found the 5 and 6 iron to be any easier to hit than my VL. And the PW and GW were just harder to hit overall. Unfortunately, I won't be joining the revolution.

With the hosel angle that must be a tough horse to ride. I would think it would be hard to not be extremely toe down?

With the hosel angle that must be a tough horse to ride. I would think it would be hard to not be extremely toe down?
Bending will take place

I finished my u try 14 day with these as a high handicapper. I played a round with them, played x golf simulator with them, and compared numbers side by side with my variable length cheap-o gigagolfs. As much as I wanted to like them, I just saw no significant advantages in either distance or consistency. This could 100% be my fault because I'm not an insanely good ball striker, but overall I just never really found the 5 and 6 iron to be any easier to hit than my VL. And the PW and GW were just harder to hit overall. Unfortunately, I won't be joining the revolution.
I've had mine only a few weeks and 27 holes at this point.
Agreed they are no better than VL so far, but I'm not sure they can be at this point. My 8i swing was as inconsistent as all my other swings before OL. And OL didn't automatically fix it.
But, at least in my head, I get to focus on that one swing and ball position rather than 7 or 8. Will see what happens over time.

Back