One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

You are correct in the peak height of the Radspeed going a bit higher than that of the Forged TEC in our testing in the tech studio.
Don’t know why, but this is the first time I’ve really looked at what’s in your bag.
My goodness.... you’ve got a bit of the BAD “mad scientist” thing going on there also! I love it!!!! :joy:

That's awesome! Is your 4H OL? Thought about anything else in that spot?
I have an OL 4H and I struggled with it for a long time, so I bought a OL forged tec 4i. I hit the OL 4i straighter, so it really depends on the course I am playing on which I take that day. Lately, I have been hitting the 4H better so I have it in the bag. Both are the same average distance for me but I typically hit the OL 4H higher with a wider lateral dispersion and the OL 4i lower with a wider dispersion in length.

If the Radspeed OL 4i goes a little higher for me like they have shown in the THP tech studio and I can hit it as straight as my OL forged tec 4i, I will grab one. I haven’t been at a shop yet to try the OL radspeed, but it is on my wish list.

I have not lost distance from my old set of Callaway Big Bertha irons. Here is my gapping for my set. This being the arccos smart distance; technically can hit most irons 5-10 yards farther. The 4i listed here is not my OL 4i and is a rocket launcher off the tee but I can’t hit well from the turf. I have an OL 4i that I often use instead of the OL 4H listed here. The only thing I have seen with the forged tec OL 4i and 5i is they fly a little low. I want to try the rad speed because I have heard the flight at the top is a little higher. But I do know some that have lower ball flight than me that do see lower distance at the top, so I am not sure what you would see.
View attachment 8998562
That's some sweet gapping and distance from just using one setup and one ball position! This is what really gets my fire stoked to try OL, up to the 7 iron I'm real consistent and then I start getting wonky. :(

I will play as well- these distances are the same if not better than my old VL set

D9F7AD66-D84A-4280-8360-1C29D431C8C7.png
A few notes on the gapping— the 4i is my punch out club that gets used far too frequently 🤣🤣 it is my 195-200yd club.

9i and PW gap much better than what’s shown- had far too many poor swings with them whether I was trying to do something I shouldn’t or chunked them.

I have not lost distance from my old set of Callaway Big Bertha irons. Here is my gapping for my set. This being the arccos smart distance; technically can hit most irons 5-10 yards farther. The 4i listed here is not my OL 4i and is a rocket launcher off the tee but I can’t hit well from the turf. I have an OL 4i that I often use instead of the OL 4H listed here. The only thing I have seen with the forged tec OL 4i and 5i is they fly a little low. I want to try the rad speed because I have heard the flight at the top is a little higher. But I do know some that have lower ball flight than me that do see lower distance at the top, so I am not sure what you would see.
View attachment 8998562

My gaps and distances are pretty much identical, although I don’t have a 4 iron. Above 5 iron, I have either my 7 wood or a 22* Super Hybrid that I cut down, depending on where I’m playing. Both carry just under 200 and it’s just a difference in landing angle. After that, it’s 3 wood and driver. I like the whole FT OL set, but really love the short irons. They’ve given me instant improvement. I’m single plane, btw.

Spent a little more time with the OL 6 iron Radspeed comparing it to my standard length 6 iron forge tec. Radspeed is easily 10 yards longer carry. Forge tec 6 carry 175 to 178 Radspeed 6 185 carry. Forge tec spin slightly higher but not much. Radspeed seems to release and roll out a little more. Both using the same shaft i95. Radspeed get the nod for dead straight flight. I give forge tec nod in feel. That could be due to fact that I’ve been hitting them for a year. If I was looking for new irons I wouldn’t hesitate on OL Rads.

already in thought! Getting fitted at a local place that has all the new Cobra stuff! Will play whatever the numbers say is best!

Hunched over a 3w trying to hit a chop slice to a 160 yard pin hahahahaha

And then i went after one and it went WAY too far.
Sounds like a good time haha.

Sounds like a good time haha.
It was the perfect mix of terrifying and HIGHLY entertaining haha

Hitting the driver with it?! Nuts. Crazy light swingweight but when I was able to get the head turned over I think I carried one 270ish hahahaha... HOW.. That's what I want to know... How.

It was the perfect mix of terrifying and HIGHLY entertaining haha

Hitting the driver with it?! Nuts. Crazy light swingweight but when I was able to get the head turned over I think I carried one 270ish hahahaha... HOW.. That's what I want to know... How.
Had to be the untied shoes..... ;)

Thinking about shafts. I have never done graphite shafts in irons. When I have tried lighter weight stuff in the past it has led to problems pulling the ball (I am handsy). I want to do graphite, but currently I play Project X LZ 5.5 which are 115g and the heaviest graphite shaft available in the RADSPEED OL is Catalyst 80g. That makes me super nervous. Now I am leaning back towards steel. What say you THP'ers?

Thinking about shafts. I have never done graphite shafts in irons. When I have tried lighter weight stuff in the past it has led to problems pulling the ball (I am handsy). I want to do graphite, but currently I play Project X LZ 5.5 which are 115g and the heaviest graphite shaft available in the RADSPEED OL is Catalyst 80g. That makes me super nervous. Now I am leaning back towards steel. What say you THP'ers?

Find a place and test them out without a doubt.
Aftermarket options exist from many brands that will get your weight back up if you choose.

Find a place and test them out without a doubt.
Aftermarket options exist from many brands that will get your weight back up if you choose.
Heading in to a Golf Galaxy this weekend. To do just that.

This was.... an experience.
Big believer in OL, but can’t see going into the woods. 😆

Actually, I like OL up to the 5i and then my hybrids are not OL. At least that is how I had to go with my current clubs for gapping.

Have you looked at light weight steel shafts...I mean VERY light weight. Nippon makes the Zelos line of shafts

Zelos 8-84 grams
Zelos 7-74 grams
Zelos 6-68 grams
All R flex. They do make them in S flex but adds a few grams of weight

These shafts a unique in that they feel like graphite weight wise but perform like steel only a lot lighter. I tried them on clubs that had steelfiber shafts and preferred the Zelos over the steelfibers for feel, distance was in favor of the Zelos.

Have you looked at light weight steel shafts...I mean VERY light weight. Nippon makes the Zelos line of shafts

Zelos 8-84 grams
Zelos 7-74 grams
Zelos 6-68 grams

These shafts a unique in that they feel like graphite weight wise but perform like steel only a lot lighter. I tried them on clubs that had steelfiber shafts and preferred the Zelos over the steelfibers for feel, distance was in favor of the Zelos.

Honestly the weight is what is worrying me. The lighter I have gone in the past the more pull misses I have. I think the weight holds my release back a bit if that makes sense. I am going to go demo this weekend and hit some Forged Tecs as well.

Zelos 8-84 grams
Zelos 7-74 grams
Zelos 6-68 grams

For graphite Steelfibers are stout and don't feel smooth like other graphite shafts they feel much more like traditional steel with some shock absorption.

Honestly the weight is what is worrying me. The lighter I have gone in the past the more pull misses I have. I think the weight holds my release back a bit if that makes sense. I am going to go demo this weekend and hit some Forged Tecs as well.
Makes total sense, I thought you were more concerned with stability/weight!

Give the steelfiber i95 a test. It is available in the Radspeed OL. It’s a shaft people either like of seem to hate. I like them. Gave them in my forge tec and the Radspeed 5 and 6 OL

If you are able to, try out a flex stronger in the lighter weight. sometimes that brings back a bit of the anchored feeling of the heavier shaft.

I'm similar and have been slowly trying to ween myself down from heavy shafts. Was going to go in the 90 range for OL shafts if i hadn't run into a used set with 110s already.

Back