One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

On this week’s Off Course, Jason Horodezky with Kinetixx said that they have developed a shaft specifically for OL irons... I found that very interesting.

On this week’s Off Course, Jason Horodezky with Kinetixx said that they have developed a shaft specifically for OL irons... I found that very interesting.
He said if golfers thought about things right they would all do like Bryson Dechambeau. He got me all pumped up LOL!

Fascinating.
If you haven't listened to Friday check it out. That dude is clearly on a different level intelligence wise. The conversation was very interesting.

I have been thinking steel the last week or two. I was looking at all the steel shaft options in the Cobra site and saw several good options. Went to Golf Galaxy to get my demo on since I have some time today. They had a whole set of the standard in stiff flex.

This is a mixed up KBS Your set as the standard shaft. @JB can you explain the benefits of their standard steel set and how they have different weights KBS Tour shafts in the 4-6, 7-9, and wedges? The graphite shafts are like that also they have Recoil 460 ESX in the "long" (going to have to call them something else LOL) irons and 480 ESX in the scoring.

Anyway I liked the steel. I am getting 6-GW and a 4H in OL. I hit the 6, 8, & PW I expect to max out around 160 with the 6 iron and average 150ish on decent swings. I was I was seeing that. I hit the 8 a long of 142 and averaged 132 on decent strikes. I hit the PW a long of 119 and averaged 110. That's basically what I expected. I think I might be boring and order the stock standard steel set in regular flex.

I am also thinking I might get my FW woods all 5 wood length. I'm getting crazy internet golfer ideas LOL.
I play 3/4/5w all at 43.25" (and no driver). So I say go for it

If you haven't listened to Friday check it out. That dude is clearly on a different level intelligence wise. The conversation was very interesting.
Jason is great and I’m lucky to call him a friend. Between he and some others they have helped me gain so much knowledge to help others.

I'm looking for opinions re: Speedzone vs. Radspeed vs. Wishon vs. Pinhawk. I will probably end up with one of these in the near future.

Radspeed is the most expensive. It's the newest technology, and probably the strongest lofts. I'm a little concerned about the changes made to lie angles. I know that Cobra has done it because they have found that people tend to swing the long irons harder. But the point of one length is to develop a consistent swing regardless of the club. So I'm not sure whether this doesn't defeat the point.

Speedzone is cheaper than Radspeed (by about $35/club), and I don't know if the latest developments are worth the price increase. Oh, and I can get the Speedzone used on a 30 day return policy. That won't happen with brand new Radspeeds.

Wishon is very appealing, but is basically unobtanium right now. The only fitter in my area is not seeing anyone because of the pandemic. I've been waiting for something to appear on Ebay, but its rare, and then there's a lot of risk involved for fairly expensive clubs that I can't try. But maybe I should just wait a few months.

Pinhawks are half the price of Speedzones, new. They have consistent lie angles, weights, etc... They get pretty good reviews for budget clubs, and I could probably sell them for about 60% of what I pay (losing maybe $150). But they are older technology and I doubt they will be as forgiving as the Cobras. On the other hand, they are closer to what I might call the "pure" one length idea.

Am I missing anything in my analysis here? Yes, I know the best thing would be to try them all, but that's basically impossible.

I'm looking for opinions re: Speedzone vs. Radspeed vs. Wishon vs. Pinhawk. I will probably end up with one of these in the near future.

Radspeed is the most expensive. It's the newest technology, and probably the strongest lofts. I'm a little concerned about the changes made to lie angles. I know that Cobra has done it because they have found that people tend to swing the long irons harder. But the point of one length is to develop a consistent swing regardless of the club. So I'm not sure whether this doesn't defeat the point.

Speedzone is cheaper than Radspeed (by about $35/club), and I don't know if the latest developments are worth the price increase. Oh, and I can get the Speedzone used on a 30 day return policy. That won't happen with brand new Radspeeds.

Wishon is very appealing, but is basically unobtanium right now. The only fitter in my area is not seeing anyone because of the pandemic. I've been waiting for something to appear on Ebay, but its rare, and then there's a lot of risk involved for fairly expensive clubs that I can't try. But maybe I should just wait a few months.

Pinhawks are half the price of Speedzones, new. They have consistent lie angles, weights, etc... They get pretty good reviews for budget clubs, and I could probably sell them for about 60% of what I pay (losing maybe $150). But they are older technology and I doubt they will be as forgiving as the Cobras. On the other hand, they are closer to what I might call the "pure" one length idea.

Am I missing anything in my analysis here? Yes, I know the best thing would be to try them all, but that's basically impossible.
The lie angle is a very very overblown topic in discussing various OL brands. For the minimal number of people who can be perfectly consistently repeatable from top to bottom (which is virtually nobody), it's trivial to get lie angles tweaked if needed. Ultimately the concept of OL is one setup, one swing, and that is still true.

The lie angle is a very very overblown topic in discussing various OL brands. For the minimal number of people who can be perfectly consistently repeatable from top to bottom (which is virtually nobody), it's trivial to get lie angles tweaked if needed. Ultimately the concept of OL is one setup, one swing, and that is still true.
You say its true, but Cobra says it is not. They explain that they change the lie angles because people are not using one swing. Rather, they are swinging harder on the longer irons than the short irons. Thus, different swings require different lie angles. Both things can't be true (although you might be right about it not making a difference).

For me, I've only had a few "fittings" on demo days. And I've only been playing since August. The issue of lie angles seems important because at each fitting I explain that I tend to pull my irons to the left. They see me swing my beginner set and say the clubs are too short for me. They go to +1/2" and 2 degrees upright, and I'm still pulling the ball. They go back to standard lie, and the pull disappears. Thus, it seems I am fairly sensitive to the lie angle changes (but of course that's only on a seven iron in the fittings, so I don't know the same would be true across the set.)

This was much simpler the little I played when I was in high school. I borrowed my grandfathers clubs, which were 20 year old blades back in the mid-seventies, and whacked the hell out of them. It seemed to work then, and if I had continued playing (college interfered), I would have improved. Now there's all this science and technology to wrap your head around.

You say its true, but Cobra says it is not. They explain that they change the lie angles because people are not using one swing. Rather, they are swinging harder on the longer irons than the short irons. Thus, different swings require different lie angles. Both things can't be true (although you might be right about it not making a difference).

For me, I've only had a few "fittings" on demo days. And I've only been playing since August. The issue of lie angles seems important because at each fitting I explain that I tend to pull my irons to the left. They see me swing my beginner set and say the clubs are too short for me. They go to +1/2" and 2 degrees upright, and I'm still pulling the ball. They go back to standard lie, and the pull disappears. Thus, it seems I am fairly sensitive to the lie angle changes (but of course that's only on a seven iron in the fittings, so I don't know the same would be true across the set.)

This was much simpler the little I played when I was in high school. I borrowed my grandfathers clubs, which were 20 year old blades back in the mid-seventies, and whacked the hell out of them. It seemed to work then, and if I had continued playing (college interfered), I would have improved. Now there's all this science and technology to wrap your head around.
What I'm saying is that as a player, the mindset is one setup, one swing. That's all there is to think about, treat every club the same. Just like how no 2 swings with the same club are perfectly identical, especially swing speed wise, no 2 swings with OL are perfectly identical. That's cause we're human. Cobra knows that most players will have slightly harder swings with longer clubs and accounts for that. But from a player's perspective, the focus is on building a consistent, repeatable swing.

What I'm saying is that as a player, the mindset is one setup, one swing. That's all there is to think about, treat every club the same. Just like how no 2 swings with the same club are perfectly identical, especially swing speed wise, no 2 swings with OL are perfectly identical. That's cause we're human. Cobra knows that most players will have slightly harder swings with longer clubs and accounts for that. But from a player's perspective, the focus is on building a consistent, repeatable swing.

And due to length, similar plane.

Never been a podcast-listening guy. Can't say why. I've readily embraced most other current tech. Moved the podcast app on my iPhone out of storage and subscribed to THP Radio.

Listened to it. Fascinating take on DeChambeau and many golfers' attitudes re: Taking advantage of innovation and new thinking. I'm seeing that in action with the neighbor's kid. Literally said, the other day, he doesn't want clubs with tech that helps his game. Say whut
confused.gif

Tell y'all what: The more I see and hear, the more encouraged I am to go one-length if I get new clubs this season.

I have an OL iron-adjacent question: when reshafting a Speedzone OL hybrid, can anyone confirm that you tip trim as you normally would for an equivalent VL hybrid?

I have an OL iron-adjacent question: when reshafting a Speedzone OL hybrid, can anyone confirm that you tip trim as you normally would for an equivalent VL hybrid?
I butt trimmer mine to length with a UST Mamiya Proto shaft

Predict now: will at least 10 tour players be using in 5 years? I can definitely see the potential benefit and my next set will try some; but it will take likely more tour players getting on board for more than the “early adapters” among amateurs to jump aboard. Perhaps if Bryson becomes super dominant that alone might drive sales.

Predict now: will at least 10 tour players be using in 5 years? I can definitely see the potential benefit and my next set will try some; but it will take likely more tour players getting on board for more than the “early adapters” among amateurs to jump aboard. Perhaps if Bryson becomes super dominant that alone might drive sales.
All tours, yes. PGA, no. but Bryson won't be the only one.

You will see more as the younger players come up thru the ranks. As @baylrballa said it will be more widespread in all the tours just from BDC influence.

All tours, yes. PGA, no. but Bryson won't be the only one.
Definitely right. 5 years is not a lot of time for top level amateurs to make a switch. Players coming up with them though, 10-15 years, we will definitely see quite a few.
Jason talked about it in the recent THP Podcast and how top players will have to start looking at equipment.

You will see more as the younger players come up thru the ranks. As @baylrballa said it will be more widespread in all the tours just from BDC influence.
I think that's accurate. Established guys who have played VL clubs their whole lives are probably going to be less likely to make the switch, while younger players who embraced the technology early will start moving up the ranks into the PGA Tour.

I am all for these one length irons and plan to try them in next set on a range. Hope they do catch on.

Well, I'm on the hunt for some OL FT or Rads. Not in a rush trying to land a good deal on used. My games probably more suited toward the Rads but I can't get past the look of the forged tec 😍

It's official! 😉

I got the idea from a post on here, but I think I am going to have a 3 wood and 7 wood at 5 wood length to go with my RadSpeed one length irons!
I thought this over constantly for like 3 days!

Having had plenty of time to dream I pretty well have the iron and wedges figured out, going all in on the OL. 5-SW Rad Speed with UST 480ES F4s (Black if a option) and OL Snake Bites in 56° and 60° with UST graphite. Top of the bag is a big ? 🥺

Back