Online or Brick and Mortar?

Where do you buy the bulk of your golf equipment?

• Total voters

OhioGolfer

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Weather
Where do you buy the bulk of your golf equipment and apparel? Do you still like to go into a store and look at the stuff in person or do you like to just order online?

Where do you buy the bulk of your golf equipment and apparel? Do you still like to go into a store and look at the stuff in person or do you like to just order online?
I try to support local B&M as much as possible. But, I can often get better pricing when buying online through a couple retailers. So, if I am trying to maximize my $$ for a purchase that I wouldn't otherwise be able to make, I buy online. If I have money burning a hole in my pocket, I try to get it locally. But, their selection is usually limited and they have to order what I want anyways. Often times, I can get it faster by ordering it myself.

In past for clubs I have purchased online. Clothing if it is a brand I have not worn before, I will go to a b&m first to check fit of it.

Clubs I buy at the local shop, I do order my Cut golf balls online and my wife purchases my clothes online. Basically a bunch of both.

I try to give Budget Golf all of my business! Great company ran by better people!

Mostly online as I don't have a lot of time to hang out a the brick and motor joints very much.

online. I try to get some stuff locally, but really it's online.

I too try to buy as much as possible from Budget. They are very good to THP. However, clubs, I will buy from a local golf shop. I have been buying clubs from them for more than 25 years. I will go to DSG if I need some balls or tees etc.. in a pinch.

I try to support local B&M as much as possible. But, I can often get better pricing when buying online through a couple retailers. So, if I am trying to maximize my $$ for a purchase that I wouldn't otherwise be able to make, I buy online. If I have money burning a hole in my pocket, I try to get it locally. But, their selection is usually limited and they have to order what I want anyways. Often times, I can get it faster by ordering it myself.

Any good store will honor online pricing for authorized retailers. Places like Amazon don't generally count as anyone can sell on amazon. Otherwise everyone should price match.

Being lefty makes online almost required in my area.

Any good store will honor online pricing for authorized retailers. Places like Amazon don't generally count as anyone can sell on amazon. Otherwise everyone should price match.
Usually, it is a Budget Golf purchase where they won't advertise the sale price pre-coupon. Or, from other retailers that require a quote before making a purchase. It is easier to just buy from them then to go in to the store and try to convince them to match. This particular location is the only dedicated golf retailer in town and their staff isn't always in a position to make decisions like that.

A lot of online but will go b/m if I can. Where I'm at we don;t have a lot of options.

Online, deals are better and the B&M options are too far away. I have a DSG about 20 minutes from me but I refuse to shop there after a few bad experiences.

Online except for the few odds and ends I need. As much as I hate to say it, local B&Ms just don't add much value - at least the ones around me. Buying local is just not a strong enough reason to overlook the convenience of buying on-line.

While not golf related, today I picked up a pair of re-soled Alden shoes from the local cobbler. While the soles were fine, he didn't fix the stitching like I asked him, did not remove the old stitches in the welt and used full rubber heels instead of the leather/rubber combo heals I asked for. I could have sent them off to a well respected shop in Nashville, specified exactly what I needed online and paid for it online and would have received a repair better than what I expected at the same price. My point is that local shops needs to add value somewhere else - they cannot compete on price or usually convenience.

A mix of both for me. I like going in and seeing what i am buying. If the store is going to have to order it i just order it myself it is easier.

Mix of both for me. I like to be able to try it on and swing it if possible. But I will search for good deals on line for the same things I just looked at.

A mix of both for me. I like going in and seeing what i am buying. If the store is going to have to order it i just order it myself it is easier.
That absolutely drives me bonkers. Now if I can get it drop shipped to me and don't have to pay shipping, then I will order it at the store.

EDIT - If I demo a club at a store and like it, then I will order it from the store. I don't think it's right to waste the store's time to demo something, like it and then go elsewhere to get it cheaper.

That absolutely drives me bonkers. Now if I can get it drop shipped to me and don't have to pay shipping, then I will order it at the store.

EDIT - If I demo a club at a store and like it, then I will order it from the store. I don't think it's right to waste the store's time to demo something, like it and then go elsewhere to get it cheaper.

I would agree with that 100% and i think that is the right thing to do!

Clothing buy logo shirts places visit
Shoes on line end of year big discount
clubs-fitted and buy and then run with fitting online for few years
shorts-outlets

Several years ago, there were 3 or 4, maybe a few more than that, golf stores in my local area. Edwin Watts, Koosa golf, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Academy... then Golfsmith moved into the area. Edwin Watts closed. Dick's Sporting Goods went all political and removed their golf stuff, and Academy... Academy shrank their golf section. The only place remaining is Koosa golf. And Golfsmith has closed. There's a vacuum I don't think will be filled.

I'm kind of torn. Sure, Koosa golf survived Golfsmith, and they're a local store but their prices aren't as good as Golfsmith's were and they have a smaller selection. I understand that they can't buy in bulk like Golfsmith and carry inventory like that... But when I walk in there, they remember my name and ask how I'm playing, ask about my family, and in general their customer service is pretty good. I try to shop there. I won't get that online.

Here's an example: I was looking for a push cart last month. I checked Academy. Their golf section was a ghost town and consisted of a small selection of drivers. Their push carts were up on the top shelf and almost hidden. Koosa golf had the cart I wanted (clicgear 3.5) in the color I wanted (blue) and it was full price. No discount. I bought it anyway because I would have paid the same price online anywhere else.

Online has its place I believe, but so does my local store. I'll continue to try to support them for some things but I'll head to the internet when I need to... like used left handed clubs. Not a lot of selection available in the store for me.

I buy strictly online only because there aren’t any shops around other than DSG. I buy from them as little as possible

Equipment is essentially exclusively online, soft goods and others it's about a 50/50 split between both.

With pricing discounts online, it's tough not to buy it from there for the savings of money and time?

I buy strictly online only because there aren’t any shops around other than DSG. I buy from them as little as possible
Same situation here.

Back